Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Flat top gas griddles

6,977 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jah003
Joe Exotic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I picked up a 36" Blackstone griddle the other day with some gift cards and I have to say that I've really enjoyed it. Was wanting one for a while by thought it might just be a novelty.

So far I've made burgers, Philly cheesesteaks, full breakfast, fresh tortillas and peppers for fajitas, seared sous vide steaks, shrimp fried rice, chorizo and eggs, and hibachi chicken. The pancakes were out of this world, same with the cheesesteaks. The best thing is it's fast. Most of the cooking is done in about 15 minutes. You can also cook so many things at once. Burgers on one side and buns on the other. Chorizo and eggs on one side and tortillas on the other. Pancakes while you do eggs and sausage. And it cleans up with just water and then a light oiling to prevent rust.

Any other ideas for cooking on it?
agcrock2005
AG
Nice. I think I'd get one for two reasons only...burgers and omelettes.

How's the cleaning? Do you have to clean it like you would at a restaurant with vinegar, lemon juice, brick, etc.?
Joe Exotic
AG
I haven't had any issues with cleaning. I just blast the heat and use a water bottle and the steam seems to remove everything. To be honest, once it seasoned nothing really sticks to it anyway. I got a kit from Amazon that included two large spatulas, two squirt bottles, and a scraper. The scraper and water have taken care of all cleaning. Afterwards I'll just squirt some oil on it and wipe down with a paper towel.

I have a Weber 22" kettle and a 22" Weber smoker mountain cooker. This thing is the perfect compliment to them since it can do things they can't. It can also do a lot of things a gas grill can do like easy and fast burgers, hot dogs, etc.
Superdave1993
AG
What Bayside said X2.

Best thing is the ability to cook an entire pack of bacon at once and not 3-4 slices at a time.

Marinated chicken breasts pounded to about 1/2" turn out almost perfect. I use the large disposable aluminum pans from Sam's as a cover to hold heat in if it is cold or to help steam veggies and speed up the cook.

Mine is one of the most used father's day presents that I have ever been given.
MichaelJ
AG
Real chef's do the whole back pack in the oven
Tabasco
AG
A large round wok lid works well as a steamer too. Do potstickers with your fried rice. Fried udon noodles are really good too. I have done Mongolian stir fry where people select what they want in it. Also, those things make the best quesadillas.

I have also stepped up my fried rice game by doing the teppanyaki flaming onion volcano. Sorta cheesy, but who doesn't like fire?
biobioprof
If I had one, hash browns would be high on my list of things to try.
A&M Chopper
AG
Quote:

Best thing is the ability to cook an entire pack of bacon at once and not 3-4 slices at a time.
Until you realize that stupid tiny drain hole lets the grease backflow and misses the trap...and of course you're wearing flipflops like a true idiot.
NC2001
AG
I'm looking in to getting one for camping (I'll be doing a lot more camping now that my son is in the Cub Scouts). Any recommendations for a camping size flat top gas grill?
Superdave1993
AG
A&M Chopper said:

Quote:

Until you realize that stupid tiny drain hole lets the grease backflow and misses the trap...and of course you're wearing flipflops like a true idiot.
This is TexAgs. Why wear anything other than flip flops while cooking outside? Mine has a channel at the front that flows into the pan, and I may or may not have done the same thing.

Long handle hibachi spatula can save your knuckles from grease splatters.
Superdave1993
AG
This is mine, and the legs do fold up, but I have never traveled with it. It is only 28" with two burners and has been large enough for our family of four.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Outdoor-Grill-Griddle-Station/dp/B009971BM6
GarlandAg2012
AG
Glad to hear a positive review for one of these. Was thinking about getting one for tailgating. I think it would be great for grilled food and breakfasts for those 11 am games.
NC2001
AG
Superdave1993 said:

This is mine, and the legs do fold up, but I have never traveled with it. It is only 28" with two burners and has been large enough for our family of four.

I have checked this one out online and have thought about purchasing it. Thanks for the recommendation!
FIREDISC Cookers
!
FIDO*98*
AG
NC2001 said:

Superdave1993 said:

I have checked this one out online and have thought about purchasing it. Thanks for the recommendation!

You can get the 22" Blackstone for traveling and a 28" Blackstone for home and still come out $50 ahead of a single 24" round "disc style" cooker
Furlock Bones
AG
my dad got me the 22 inch Blackstone for Christmas. just fired it up for the first time this weekend. made burgers and grilled onions and peppers. its awesome.
Vernada
AG
a 36" 4 burner griddle looks awesome.

But would it make my grill obsolete?

Or put another way, is there any reason to have both a propane grill and a griddle?
NColoradoAG
Where do you guys cook with these? Do they splatter off the cooking surface much? Do you move them off your patio/deck?

Id like to get one of these but worry about where I'd cook with it and not have a rectangle of grease splattered on my concrete patio.
Belton Ag
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Where do you guys cook with these? Do they splatter off the cooking surface much? Do you move them off your patio/deck?

Id like to get one of these but worry about where I'd cook with it and not have a rectangle of grease splattered on my concrete patio.
I cook on the patio with mine. It doesn't really splatter too much, it's a big surface so unless you're cooking a ton of stuff close to the edge you shouldn't have to worry.

The only issue I've had is with the grease trap. I've gotten busy and not noticed it wasn't all the way in place and had grease drip onto the patio before. I've also had grease run up the underside of the little grease spillway, kind of like the capillary effect of water, and pool and drip. Occasionally I'll wipe the underside with a paper towel to break it up.

It's actually a clean product if you're careful with cleanup.
aggiedata
AG
Has anyone hooked up to a natural gas line instead of propane?
dkoslov
I bought one and installed the natural gas converter kit this weekend. Purchased the natural gas converter kit from Walmart.com ($20 cheaper than the blackstone website) and the basic spatula kit (to get free shipping). The orifices were a little tedious to change out, but worth it to have constant gas and not have to worry about running out during the middle of a cook.
aggiedata
AG
Great info. I want to get one placed by my gas grill on the second level deck. Not the best location for hauling propane tanks up and down.
Idiot Savant
AG
dkoslov -

Any issue/concern re: lower BTUs/temp for natural gas vs. propane? I'm tempted to convert, but I'm leery of not having enough heat for searing.
Vernada
AG
dkoslov
I never cooked on it with a propane tank so I don't have that to compare it to. I cooked a sirloin skirt steak and two chicken breast and didn't seem to take any longer than I expected.
Larry S Ross
AG
Just had omelets on mine. Can't beat it and so simple w very little practice for those who haven't tried it.
Sazerac
AG
my only complaint so far with my Blackstone is it sucks down the propane
MarylandAG
Looks like they are on sale at Dick's, follow instructions on the link.

https://slickdeals.net/f/13151005-blackstone-36-griddle-cooking-station-1554y-180-free-store-pickup-at-dicks-sporting-goods?src=
Larry S Ross
AG
Damn! That's a hell of a discount. I think I paid more for a 28" a couple of years back.
jah003
S
Might be worth checking your local Target... just bought the 17" tabletop for $30.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.