Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pizza Oven

2,946 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by shimmeringshark
Bluecat_Aggie94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anybody undertaken building of a wood fired pizza oven in their back yard? I had a friend who had one and it was really great for entertaining, especially young people, and I tend to do that a lot and hope to do it more as my kids get to be HS age.

Found my friend hired a contractor, so he's not able to offer a lot of advice.

I see several DIY kits but would love to talk through it with someone who's done it, not a sales person.

BEaggie08
AG
I'd guess that bonefirewillburn (owner of Vagabond pizza in Abilene) could provide some valuable insight. as for me, i just make pizzas in my Big Green Egg.
javajaws
AG
I cook em in my oven on 1/2 thick steel. But id love to make a brick oven if I had the space.

Check out pizzamaking.com it gets a lot of traffic and I know there are some knowledgeable people there.
HTownAg98
You can get a Weber kettle or a big green egg plenty hot to cook pizza. While I think an oven built for this is pretty cool, I doubt you'd get enough use out of it to justify the cost.
I would also suggest you read this. http://www.seriouseats.com/2017/05/best-backyard-pizza-ovens-review.html There are some very good recommendations here that are considerably cheaper than building a stand-alone oven.
bigtruckguy3500
Some good home made ovens on YouTube.
62strat
AG
javajaws said:

I cook em in my oven on 1/2 thick steel.
really? A 25lb plate of steel?
Duncan Idaho
62strat said:

javajaws said:

I cook em in my oven on 1/2 thick steel.
really? A 25lb plate of steel?

It is all about that thermal mass
javajaws
AG
It's actually 2 pieces of like 1/2 x 8 flat bar stock placed back to back - makes it easier to get in and out. And i think its heavier than 25lbs but I haven't really checked.

I preheat for an hour at 550 to get it all up to temp. Then I cook on convection for 2 minutes then broil for 4 more until cooked. Perfect crust and top.
AggieSam02
AG
I have built them (Houston area) and we also sell the Lynx gas fired outdoor oven. The Lynx can be built in or set on countertop. I just can't imagine why anyone wouldn't go the gas route - much easier to use which means you use it more often.
bigtruckguy3500
dustin999
AG
Has anyone seen a pizza oven that can double as an outdoor fireplace and smoker for smoking meats low and slow like brisket?

We're in the process of designing an outdoor kitchen. I use a Weber kettle for my everyday grilling. Rather than designing a bunch of additional features like an outdoor fireplace, pizza oven, and offset smoker (which I'd only use for the 1-2 times a year we have a big party), I'm trying to see if there's a way to purchase or build something that will do double or triple duty?

Seems like it should be possible, maybe with a custom built stone structure...
Leeman
I've done the komado thing and it has issues cooking the top of the pizza.

I ended up getting one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJWB230/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great ! I use it at home and at tailgates.
Potcake
AG
Quote:

I had a friend who had one and it was really great for entertaining, especially young people, and I tend to do that a lot and hope to do it more

Actually, I would love a pizza oven that I could use with gas for a quick weeknight or wood to to do multiple pizzas and anything else.
aggiemike02
AG
check out Uuni
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG

As for the cost/benefit, my situation is probably unique. 1) I have six children, ranging from 12-5. In a couple of years, we're talking a lot of teenagers. I want our house to be a place their friends want to come, and that's a great way to entertain them. Lay out the dough and ingredients, everyone builds their own. 2) I work with college students. We have cookouts for student groups often, and I'd like to have more. Hamburgers and hot dogs get a little boring after a while, make your own pizzas sounds a lot more fun.

Thanks for the resources. I am looking for someone who has done the actual labor on putting one together. There are lots of great designs and kits out there you can buy and have shipped. They say they are doable to put together yourself, I just want some insight as to whether or not that's really feasible for a regular Joe like me.
JHShipley
AG
I recently purchased this one
[URL=.html][/URL]
[URL=.html][/URL]

It's the il fornino F series mini professional model. It's awesome and the price is right if you have the counter space.

I know it's not exactly on topic but is worth a look vs building one into your setup.
SACR
AG
Bluecat_Aggie94 said:

As for the cost/benefit, my situation is probably unique. 1) I have six children, ranging from 12-5. In a couple of years, we're talking a lot of teenagers. I want our house to be a place their friends want to come, and that's a great way to entertain them. Lay out the dough and ingredients, everyone builds their own. 2) I work with college students. We have cookouts for student groups often, and I'd like to have more. Hamburgers and hot dogs get a little boring after a while, make your own pizzas sounds a lot more fun.
I like your thought process here. You don't do just pizza night at your place, you can do stromboli night, calzone night, pepperoni rolls night, etc. (I actually think instead of doing 'traditional' pizza birthday parties for little kids where you buy a bunch of Dominoes or Papa John's, parents should instead give them each their own ball of dough, let them create their own personal crust, and choose toppings. Toss it in the oven, bake, and eat. Cheaper and more memorable for the attendees. Give out chef hats for party favors.) I digress....

DIY pizza ovens:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/5vff5w/pizza_oven_2017_2_months_planning_3_months/

For dustin999, a guy in the comments says he uses his to do pizza the first day, bread the following day, and then slow cooks meats. He said it cools down 100c a day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/54l887/pizza_oven/

And there is one for the budget conscious:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/3fxbe0/pizza_oven_on_a_budget/

ORAggieFan
Not so much cheaper. I find it more expensive to make out own. Higher quality ingredients, but much more than Dominos.
javajaws
AG
aggiemike02 said:

check out Uuni
THAT looks really cool, affordable, and portable. I like it better than the other micro pizza ovens because it is wood fired (pellets) vs propane. What's the point of having a dedicated pizza oven that isn't wood fired?!? You might as well use your kitchen oven at that point - unless you're trying to make Neapolitan style pizzas.
62strat
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

I may stop by lowes today after work and do this.. it looks so easy!
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I can only imagine what it would look like if I attempted that. It's tempting to try it and post my results here just for all yalls entertainment.
normaleagle05
AG
Does that guy have any video of that oven being used? That took some real thought and work but not anything a person couldn't accomplish in a garage/backyard. We all need a hobby to keep us moving and sane.

NM...he does. Quick survey says he definitely cooks to ~550 in it. He references doing Neapolitan styles to much higher temps. This goes on the project list just to see if I can on a dime.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Forno Bravo

great forum to get lost in

Its absolutely doable, just takes some planning.
bonfirewillburn
AG
put your fire on the side you will increase your heat retention and decrease your wood consumption
JHShipley
AG
normaleagle05
AG
Real world advice!
gigemags87
AG
I researched building one but ended up buying the Forno Bravo Primavera 70:

https://www.fornobravo.com/product-series/primavera-series-wood-ovens/

I've cooked about 200 pizzas on it and like it a lot. It's almost a little too small for my liking. Cooks one pizza at a time comfortably.
shimmeringshark
AG
Not pretty, but seems simple to build. Just fire bricks and angle iron. Make Magazine
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.