Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

The Jerky Thread

948 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Tx-Ag2010
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What are your best recipes? I'm looking for a good hot and spicy recipe. Next season I'm planning on putting at least one entire deer into jerky.

What are you using for equipment? Right now I'm using the oven, but have also considered using the big green egg. Also have considered getting a dehydrator, but I can do more jerky in the oven and not have to have another piece of equipment lying around the kitchen.

Let's hear your ideas.
AggieChemist
AG
Actually meant to post this on the outdoors board, but due to tabbed browsing I put it here.

It actually works here, too... so let's hear your ideas, too.
agcrock2005
AG
Interested in this thread, but here's what I've done now a few times and it's turned out really well. It's very spicy.

- 2 lbs of venison
- 2/3 cup soy
- 2/3 cup worcestershire
- 1 tbsp restaurant ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (wish I didn't have to use this but the recipe worked really well first time)
- 1 tbsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp local honey

I cut the venison into strips about 1/8-1/4" thick, then put in ziplock bag with the marinade for about 24 hours. I occasionally moved the meat around inside the bag to make sure everything was coated. I then loaded into Excalibur dehydrator (bought at Walmart for $100) and cook at 155 degrees until dry. It seems the smaller pieces are done after about 5-7 hours, but some take almost 10-11. After cooked I threw a tablespoon of cayenne and crushed red pepper into the final ziplock bag, added the meat and shook up. It's hot!
Sorrell Booke
Allegro Hot N Spicy marinade and a little salt.

Thats all you need.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I don't really have a recipe mainly just a list of ingredients that I add until I am happy with the taste.

Soy Sauce
Crushed Red Pepper
Garlic Salt
Onion Powder
Worcestershire Sauce
Water
Hickory Smoked Salt
Cracked Black Pepper
Siricha
Garlic Siricha paste
(I would probably use liquid smoke but I never have any on hand and the smoked salt adds a nice flavor.)

I usually slice it anywhere between .25-.375" thick. If I'm making it with chicken I will marinade everything overnight and sous vide for a couple hours to make it a little safer before dehydrating. Otherwise, with beef, venison, ect... it will just go straight into the dehydrator.

I bought an 80L Cabelas Commercial Grade Dehydrator a couple years ago when I had $500 in gift cards that I had to use. I really like it but it does take up some space on the countertop...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.