Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

BBQ advice - precooking

2,168 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SumAggie
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been asked to cook 3 briskets, 10 racks of ribs and 2 pork shoulders for a group next Thursday before they go on their Memorial Day RV trip. That's no issue, but I can't be there so I have to cook it the day before.

I'm good on the ribs and pork shoulders, but any advice on when to pull the briskets so that when they reheat it will be as if it came off the pit, not like it's leftovers that tend to dry out? Is there a way to par cook it? I was thinking I would put the 5-6 hours of smoke on it and get some of the main cook done and plan on pulling it an hour or so before I normally would, and then try to stop the cooking process rather than resting it in foil in a cambro. Also, what's best method to reheat the briskets? Put some butter on brisket and wrap in foil and slowly reheat? They will have a smoker to heat the stuff back up. Thanks!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I'd vacuum seal the whole thing thing reheat in a water bath
agcrock2005
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Funny. Not going to ask them to reheat them in their RV sinks.
aggiebq03+
agcrock2005 said:

No kidding. Reheating in sinks would be almost as bad as using a Kamado cooker for making it...
agcrock2005
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

agcrock2005 said:

No kidding. Reheating in sinks would be almost as bad as using a Kamado cooker for making it...

That would be bad for sure...
aggiebq03+
I'd probably cook the brisket all the way, because when reheating I'd only go to about 150F internal, so it wouldn't get to high enough temp to turn the connective tissue to gelatin. Instead of resting in cooler I'd leave on counter to cool down quickly. Then when reheating cover in foil and lots of large pats of butter, put in oven until 145-150F.

Someone else may have better option, I've never done the above but it's what I'd try.
Belton Ag
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Please do. All 3 briskets, 2 pork shoulders and 10 racks of ribs into an RV sink.
BQ78
AG
So are Kamodo Grills to the Food and Spirits Board what crossfit is to the Health & Fitness Board?

Haters
Cancelled
AG
And yetis to the OB
Reel Aggies
AG
You reheat the vacuum sealed briskets and ribs in a cooler with boiling water poured in. I do it all the time when catering and camping.
OregonAggie
AG
Reel Aggies said:

You reheat the vacuum sealed briskets and ribs in a cooler with boiling water poured in. I do it all the time when catering and camping.

I'm gonna try this
agcrock2005
AG
Reel Aggies said:

I don't get it.
Koko Chingo
AG
You can cook/reheat food right in the vacuum bags. In a pot of water for smaller items that will fit or as Reel Aggies posted in a cooler with hot water to reheat. The meat does not make contact with the water. It stays in the bag until you cut it open.

This method of reheating preserves the flavor of grilled/smoked meats better than any other method I have used. Having kids I do this all the time. When I grill or smoke, I always cook a lot of extra meat. The last time I grilled chicken quarters, I cooked a dozen extra. On Tuesday after taking kids to practice and general school stuff - Our family ate grilled chicken quarters for dinner.

Each one was individually sealed. Dropped them in a pot of boiling water, did baked potatoes in the microwave, heated up some veggies and the whole family was at the table together in really under a 20 minute meal. A couple of years ago that would have been a pizza or fast food night. -- You can also seal, freeze, and reheat things like stew and spaghetti sauce.
agcrock2005
AG
Koko Chingo said:

You can cook/reheat food right in the vacuum bags. In a pot of water for smaller items that will fit or as Reel Aggies posted in a cooler with hot water to reheat. The meat does not make contact with the water. It stays in the bag until you cut it open.
OK. While I thought it was a joke at first, this is starting to sound like a pretty good method for the briskets. I don't care about the other stuff because it's easy to reheat. So would these be good instructions?

- fill large cooler half full with the hottest water you can get at campsite
- place bagged briskets in water and shut lid
- come back in 3 hours and brisket is ready to slice (or do they need to keep adding hot water throughout and for how long)

Belton Ag
AG
Reel Aggies said:

I'm cool with that method, just laughing at the thought of trying to heat up all that meat in an RV sink.
Reel Aggies
AG
Yes just MAKE SURE you double seal your vacuum bags because I had a couple seals fail this last time. Didn't hurt the meat, but just watered down the seasoning. I ended up re-wrapping with butcher paper and placing back on pit. Just seal, pull bag 1/4" or so and reseal on both ends. Place in ice chest, heat water over fire to boiling and just keep adding until briskets are covered. That water will stay too hot to touch for hours undisturbed. After 4-5 hours the meats ready and tastes as good or better than straight off the pit. When I pull the meat off the pit originally, I'll pour any juices in the bag with the meat. I sent briskets to friends for xmas with instructions to do this and all turned out great.
Koko Chingo
AG
You make a great point about double wrapping. I usually double wrap things with bones like steaks, ribs, and pork chops. Pork chops are really bad at piercing bags.

Reel Aggies -- thanks for the tips on the cooler method. I have had meat reheated that way at a wedding, but never done it.

I do smaller portions that fit in a stock pot or big tamale pot. I have to cut slabs of ribs in 2 or 3.
agcrock2005
AG
Last stupid question...I think. What type of bags are you all referring to that fit briskets in them? Thanks so much for all the guidance!
Reel Aggies
AG
Food saver has expandable bags. Once again make real sure they are sealed well.
Reel Aggies
AG
Koko Chingo said:

You make a great point about double wrapping. I usually double wrap things with bones like steaks, ribs, and pork chops.

I don't double wrap, just double heat seal. As for the wedding, was it a few weeks ago in Nada, TX
turfman80
AG
Always double wrap!!! Especially with strange meat!
junior83
AG
Any particular vacuum sealer you like?
SumAggie
I'm so old I remember when it used to be easy to reheat leftovers.....
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.