Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pork Tenderloin Ideas

25 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aznaggiegirl07
aeroag14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought some pork tenderloins last night and was going to do them for dinner tonight.

I figured I may try reverse searing them (as I find them particularly susceptible to drying out if even slightly overcooked). Then finishing in either a cast iron or on a screaming hot grill.

I have done pork tenders a good number of different ways (marinade, rubbed, grill, pan, roasted, etc, etc), but was wanting to trying something a little different tonight.

My first thought was some kind of herb crusted rub.

Anyone have anything they like?
Vernada
AG
One of my favorites is the 7-6-5 method on the grill.

Super easy -

Heat the grill to high.

Drop tenderloin on first side, close lid and cook for 7 minutes.

Turn over, close lid, cook for 6 minutes.

Turn off heat (leaving lid closed) and cook another 5 minutes.

check internal temp and either remove or leave it on until at proper temp.

Remove and let rest ~5 minutes.

Belton Ag
AG
aeroag14 said:

I bought some pork tenderloins last night and was going to do them for dinner tonight.

I figured I may try reverse searing them (as I find them particularly susceptible to drying out if even slightly overcooked). Then finishing in either a cast iron or on a screaming hot grill.

I have done pork tenders a good number of different ways (marinade, rubbed, grill, pan, roasted, etc, etc), but was wanting to trying something a little different tonight.

My first thought was some kind of herb crusted rub.

Anyone have anything they like?
One of the things I've done is to coat the tendeloins with EVO then rub with Italian season, salt & pepper, then roll the tenderloin in some fresh grated Parmesan until it's completely coated. Grill over indirect until temp reaches 140-145 and pull it. The family loves this.
aeroag14
AG
Quote:

One of the things I've done is to coat the tendeloins with EVO then rub with Italian season, salt & pepper, then roll the tenderloin in some fresh grated Parmesan until it's completely coated. Grill over indirect until temp reaches 140-145 and pull it. The family loves this.

Kind of liking the sound of this.

May try a variation of this. Will try rub/coating with salt, pepper, itialian herbs/seasoning and fresh parm or Romano and then reverse sear it. This sounds good!
LawHall88
AG
Purists will probably hate this, but I cube them, marinate in a teriyaki marinade overnight, and make kebobs with green pepper, onion, pineapple, and squash.
Bruce Almighty
AG
My favorite is a maple bourbon glazed tenderloin cooked entirely in the skillet.

Coat with salt and pepper and then dredge in cornstarch. The cornstarch helps get the pork crispy and the glaze to stick.
Heat up oil in skillet over high heat and cook pork on all sides, turning constantly for 8 minutes.
Remove pork and lower heat to med heat.
Cook a diced shallot for about a minute, add a 1/2 cup bourbon and ignite and shake the pan until flame dies.
Add 1 cup low sod. chicken broth, 1 tbsp whole grain mustard, 1/2 cup maple syrup and 1/4 tsp cayenne.
Bring to a boil, lower to medium, return pork and cook for 10 minutes until pork reaches 145 degrees.
Remove pork and add 2 tbsp of butter and cook until a glaze for 4 minutes.
Place pork back in skillet to coat in glaze.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
1.5 lbs. pork tenderloin

Marinade:

5 tsp. chili powder
1.5 tsp. dried oregano leaves
3/4 tsp. ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1 Tbs. vegetable oil

Combine marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Coat the pork with the wet rub, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. Grill over medium heat, turning occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or until internal temp is 140-145. Remove to platter, cover lightly with foil and let sit for 10 minutes.
Slicer97
AG
I've smoked them when doing a brisket. Apply rub the night before. Throw on 225 degree smoker around 10 am. Pull when it hits 130-135 (hourish). Wrap in foil and an old towel and toss it in an empty cooler for half an hour to rest.

Tenderloin for lunch, brisket for supper. Never had one dry out that much on me.
Btron
AG
Season in salt, pepper, garlic powder
Wrap in bacon
Cook 30-45 min in the oven at 450
Last 15 minutes add brussel sprouts seasoned same as PT
Enjoy the goodness and ease
aeroag14
AG
So what I ended up doing was making an herb and spice rub (salt, heavy pepper, rosemary, thyme and a few cloves of fresh minced garlic) and completely crusting the bad boy.

Reverse seared in oven at 225-250 for about an hour until it hit about 138 F. Pulled out for 5-10 mins and then seared on a screaming hot cast iron with a lot of butter.

It was beautiful! Will be trying again! A nice very light pink color all the way through (maybe a hair past medium rare, right where I like it for pork tender). About as moist as you can get a pork tenderloin.
TX AG 88
AG
see https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2353828
schmellba99
AG
I usually smoke them - a good smoked tenderloin is hard to beat, and doesn't take all that long to do. Just pull them around 135-140 so they don't dry out on you, let rest for about an hour or so (wrap in foil, towel and throw in a small ice chest).

I've stuffed them before as well (cream cheese./spinach mix last time), used a mango habanero glaze in the last 10-20 mins of smoking to allow it to caramelize and some other things - almost always turns out pretty good. Wrapping in bacon and using a good cajun seasoning while stuffing with boudin is also pretty awesome.

For a rub I keep it relatively simple - salt, seasoned pepper, garlic and may throw some thyme or rosemary. Smoke over pecan and oak (stay away from mesquite with pork IMO).

Last time I made one I had some leftovers and tossed them in my next batch of gumbo. Was well received, and the smoke flavor with the rest of the gumbo was pretty good IMO.
Slicer97
AG
I've smoked them with mesquite before with good results, since they're not on for long. Just let the mesquite burn down just enough that it's not making white smoke but before you're making Cooper's bbq.
schmellba99
AG
Nope, just not a fan personally of mesquite and pork. Mesquite is great for chicken and turkey, and occasionally beef, but not for pork IMO.
Max Power
AG
I haven't done a tenderloin in a while, but if I did I would try what I do for pork chops. Brine it in a bag with beer, salt, sugar, peppercorns, jalapenos, and herbs of your choosing. Then just roast or gill, depending on what mood you're in.
Aggie_3
schmellba99 said:

Nope, just not a fan personally of mesquite and pork. Mesquite is great for chicken and turkey, and occasionally beef, but not for pork IMO.
mesquite just ruins pork. ive tried a lot of different woods and pecan hands down is the best flavor ive found with pork.
FincAg
AG
Inject and deep fry same as a turkey.
Fall92
AG
If you're looking for something a little different, try slow cooking it with balsamic vinegar and some red pepper flakes. My wife loves this recipe.
aeroag14
AG
I tried another idea last night.

I made a southwesterny rub. Salt, pepper. garlic and chili powder and coated the tenderloin. Reverse seared and let sit for a few minutes before cutting.

It was very very good. The rub crusted up nicely with the sear and the meat was absolutely dripping with juices. Cooked to a perfect medium rare-medium.
aznaggiegirl07
AG
pork katsu....or tonkatsu
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.