Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Reverse sear smaller steaks?

1,453 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Positive Yardage
Positive Yardage
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got 4 nice 1/2 inch sirloins that I had thought about reverse sear tonight. All the stuff I have read says reverse sear better on steaks at least 1 inch or thicker.

Just a cheap impulse buy, I know my meat sucks. Should I even try to reverse sear or grill like normal? What say ye TexAgs food experts?
HTownAg98
No, just grill them as normal. Grill them on the surface of the sun, and when they are seared well, move them to the cool side to finish cooking.
chipotle
Ha....half inch
biobioprof
I'd still reverse sear after sous vide. I may be missing something, but it seems to me that the disadvantages of thinner steaks would still apply to the traditional sear.

Or you could look for some meat glue.

edit to add: but I'd defer to HTown on matters like this.
Max Power
AG
I've had great results with reverse sear on thick steaks but tried it once with flank and didn't really like how they turned out. I grill normally with those now.
Duncan Idaho
For a steak that thin, Id just sear the **** out of it on the hot surface you can get, let it rest and eat it.

There ain't enough steak there to need any steps to finish it.
Positive Yardage
AG
Well I tried it. Probably in oven a little too long but still had good flavor when seared with butter/garlic/rosemary.

Should have seared the crap outta two and did two the way I did to compare. Oh well, not bad for $20 worth of steaks but would agree the effort probably isn't necessary for a thinner steak.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.