Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Grill: Weber Spirit E-310

2,015 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JimbosHatBarelyFits
SkiMo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am new to grilling, but want a good quality grill that will last a long time and one that is easy to learn and improve on.

I've heard this is a really good grill and of course Weber is top quality.

I don't have a family...just me and the SO but I would like to cook for friends and also plan to use it each Sunday to make my meals for the week so a decent size would be ideal.

Thoughts/Opinions?

Weber Spirit E-310 Gas Grill
Joe Exotic
AG
Weber 22" kettle and a chimney starter will do everything you want. Plus you get the added benefit of your food having flavor.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Yes, that's a good grill. Get the cast iron grates to go with it. We just sold our Spirit for $250 after 9 years of use.
normaleagle05
AG
My FIL has a different but similar Weber gas grill. We just finished an eleven month (far longer than planned) transition back to DFW staying with my in-laws and I saw that thing in action a lot. I reaaly didn't care for it. I'd much rather have my 10 year old, though soon to be retired, 18" kettle and chimney starter.

Flavor is definitely an issue on longer cooks. The charcoal/wood gives you more options in that regard. On shorter cooks the gas doesnt get hot that much faster than a good chimney starter (or MAP torch, which is on my short list).

I'm sticking with charcoal and/or wood, but I also have a long history (scouting/hunting camps) cooking outdoors on fires and grills. If you're just getting started with grilling gas maybe a smoother introduction but charcoal and wood is where you're headed. Otherwise you'd stay in the kitchen.
HTownAg98
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

Weber 22" kettle and a chimney starter will do everything you want. Plus you get the added benefit of your food having flavor.

They're $99 brand new. You can find them in yard sales for damn near nothing, and as long as the body is good, the guts are cheap to replace. A new ash cleaner is $19, and a new stainless steel grate is $35. The nickel plated ones are $19. Do not get them, as the plating will flake off, and they will deteriorate. You can make them hotter than the surface of the sun, or hold a steady 225 degrees to smoke, and all points in between.

If you're not willing to spend the money on a ceramic or an offset, you can do much worse spending your money on something that isn't a 22" Weber Kettle.
biobioprof
I have a Spirit that's probably 20 years old. Still works fine although I recently had to replace the flavor bars, the grates, and the plastic control knobs. If you're going with gas it's a good choice.

The charcoal purists are correct that there are many benefits to charcoal... but those are lost if you don't use the grill because it takes longer to get ready to cook, especially when you realize you didn't clean out the ashes from the previous cook because you were too busy enjoying the meal and the company and the booze.

Kenji at Serious Eats wrote about going to the dark side a couple of years ago.
Quote:

At the end of the day, the real measure comes down to this: Which one do I get the most utility and pleasure out of? Certainly, there's something ritualistic about lighting a live charcoal fire and taming the flames with careful control of ventilation and placement, not to mention tending a long-cooking piece of meat throughout the afternoon or night. Then again, the joy I get from being able to step outside my kitchen door, turn a knob, cook, then shut the gas grill right off when I'm done cooking -- well, it's difficult to place a value on that, but it's high. Grilling used to be a special occasion that occurred maybe once or twice a week. Now it's something I can do any time, any night, with no real forethought.
Wife is an Aggie
Have the exact grill you are looking at and it has been great for us. Had it about a year and half so far and going great. I expect it to last a very long time.

For grilling some chicken breasts for lunches for the week or throwing some burgers/sausage on quick this thing is great. I do the steaks inside on the cast iron now so no worries there. It is so easy to get home and throw this thing on, wait 5 minutes for it to heat up and throw whatever I need on.

Using a charcoal every time you want to grill something is no where near as fast and easy as the gas option... Plus - i spent way more on charcoal when I only had a charcoal grill than I do on filling up the propane tanks.

We cook chicken breasts more than anything (bc it is cheap, healthy, and use for lunches for the week) so for us the convenience far outweighs any difference in taste you may experience vs charcoal.

My .02, you can't go wrong with this grill for how you intend to use it.
SkiMo
AG
Thanks guys for all the input. This is very helpful. I think going with gas is gonna be best for me starting out and understanding how to grill. Then later I can graduate to charcoal/wood. Wife is an Aggie ... you seem like you use it just as I will be so that's good to hear that you like it. Thanks again!
NoahAg
I'm looking to get a new Weber too. The only drawback of the E-310 is no side burner, which I used quite often on our old grill.

As for gas vs charcoal/wood, yesterday I smoked 2 whole chickens and 10 thighs. Couldn't have gotten the same results on the gas Weber. But many times after work I will cook burgers/chicken/fish on the grill, and gas makes much more since.

So the answer to gas vs charcoal is...

HDeathstar
Great grill. I just got rid of a 20yr old Weber Genesis (replaced guts a few times).

I am looking at the Spirit 210. It has two burners vs 3 for the 310.

Buying the 210 because I wanted to buy a small grill for my patio that both shelves folded down. Plus it is smaller to move around the house to grill in the front or back yard when needed.

Not to concerned because I have a BGE as well, but if you just want something you can turn on an cook outside, it is a great choice for a gas grill. Only additional choice would be if you want a side burner shelf with it.
LawHall88
AG
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

What is this "flavor" of which you speak? And what is the difference between "flavor" and "umami? So many questions...
JimbosHatBarelyFits
AG
https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/smokey-mountain-cooker-smoker-1

The 22'' is a little more expensive, but I have the 18 and it's fine. I have yet to try a brisket on it, but I think it could fit a small brisket.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.