Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Swedish Princess Cake

1,246 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiespartan
West Point Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone ever tried to make this...? I'm taking a stab at it for a tacos, martinis and cake dinner party...but it is many steps. If you have, and have any hints, I'm listening!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/prinsesstrta_17336
aggiespartan
AG
They had to do this on an episode of the Great British Bake Off. I would recommend finding that segment and watching it. You may also be able to find a masterclass for it. It's a lot of steps, so make sure you allow yourself enough time to get it completed.
West Point Aggie
AG
I did watch the episode...it's what got me interested...I mean cream, cake, jam, more cake and more cream with marzipan...I just gained 2 pounds typing that!

biobioprof
aggiespartan said:

They had to do this on an episode of the Great British Bake Off. I would recommend finding that segment and watching it. You may also be able to find a masterclass for it. It's a lot of steps, so make sure you allow yourself enough time to get it completed.
The description on this recipe from the Telegraph:
Quote:

Bronte Aurell from Scandi Kitchen shares a recipe for Swedish princess cake, the fiendishly difficult technical challenge on The Great British Bake Off
This site has better stills of the assembly than most.

The cake itself is a genoise, which gets it's lift from air incorporated into eggs. No leavening. I'm curious about aggiespartan's experience and tips for working with genoise. The classic method is to gently heat the eggs and sugar while beating, before incorporating the melted butter. The BBC recipe doesn't heat at all; others use a kind of really gentle double boiler setup. I've only done it twice. In both cases it was a chocolate genoise and I used my sous vide circulator to create a controlled temp water path to beat the eggs and sugar in a steel bowl using a stick blender whisk attachment (I don't have a hand mixer). The first time it worked great. The second time I was too impatient in how fast I added the melted butter and wound up collapsing some of the egg foam to get a sponge that was kind of like a running shoe: A nice soft top over a thin very rubbery bottom layer about .25 inches thick.

I wonder how much of the princess cake can be made ahead... can you make the sponge early enough to redo it in case of a disaster like my second one?
aggiespartan
AG
I have done chocolate as well. It's a trickier cake than it appears. I'm a little under the weather today, and I'm having a difficult time remembering the version I did. I don't think I cooked the eggs, but I could be totally misremembering that. It was a bit stickier than I liked too, but that could have just been me messing something up. The texture of the eggs really makes a difference - when it says whisk until pale and thick, whisk until pale and thick. It will take some time.

You are also going to need to get gel food coloring. I use Americolor brand, but you can probably just go get some Wilton from a store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I'm not really a fan of covering cake in fondant or marzipan because most people just peel it off, though. Watch some videos on covering cake with this stuff - it's not as easy as it looks. Make sure you roll it out nice and even too.

I'm sure you could probably do some of the things ahead of time, but I wouldn't do it too far in advance. My strategy is to generally do new recipes all in one day and spend 12 hours in the kitchen cursing.
West Point Aggie
AG
Thank you bioprof! That was helpful!

I think I'm making the marzipan and vanilla custard ahead of time (with cling wrap on top so it doesn't form a skin) plus the jam...

I sounds like the key is having everything "ready to go"

We shall see!!!

aggiespartan
AG
Well, how did it turn out????
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.