Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Clear Ice, Full Highballs, Can't Lose

3,488 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by HTownAg98
RangerRick9211
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is Texags. Who amongst us doesn't have an insulated rambler?

Thought I would share an alternate use case for a rambler to achieve clear ice and elevate your fancy drink game.

You'll read all sorts of nutty stuff on the internet referring to clear ice: boiling water, distilled water, melt/re-freeze, etc... However, it's very simple: cloudiness in ice is primarily entrapped air.

The solution to clear ice is directionally freezing the water to force air to a specific location in the water mass. Most do this with small coolers and carving. With the side and bottom insulation, the water is forced to freeze top-down, forcing the air to the bottom of the cooler. Too much effort.

Also, I wanted spheres, not blocks. Realized my molds snugly fit the 32 oz. rambler - insulated sides and bottom. Perfect for directional freezing.

• Fill the rambler with water to the top
  • Fill the mold, cover the hole and invert into the rambler
  • Freeze for 24 hrs.
  • Use a pick or knife to chip away surrounding ice

And the results!
biobioprof
This guy has been credited with coming up with a lot of the directional freezing stuff. This seems similar to your method:

http://www.alcademics.com/2014/09/make-perfectly-clear-ice-balls-using-insulated-mugs.html

This caught my eye

I've wondered if one could do cubes with a regular tray plus foam insulation.
RangerRick9211
AG
I'm not claiming this as my method as if I'm the originator. I've just never seen anyone use the ramblers to do it. Now I have!

Cube molds work in a foam box if you punch holes in the bottom of the mold and suspend it off the bottom. Again, you need some place for the air to go.
62strat
AG
RangerRick9211 said:

Thought I would share an alternate use case for a rambler to achieve clear ice and elevate your fancy drink game.

You'll read all sorts of nutty stuff on the internet referring to clear ice: boiling water, distilled water, melt/re-freeze, etc... However, it's very simple: cloudiness in ice is primarily entrapped air.

The solution to clear ice is directionally freezing the water to force air to a specific location in the water mass. Most do this with small coolers and carving. With the side and bottom insulation, the water is forced to freeze top-down, forcing the air to the bottom of the cooler. Too much effort.

Also, I wanted spheres, not blocks. Realized my molds snugly fit the 32 oz. rambler - insulated sides and bottom. Perfect for directional freezing.

• Freeze for 24 hrs.

And the results!

All that work up and you don't even show me the ice. Like I can see how clear it is in that pic!
Boo this man.
Icecream_Ag
S
62strat said:

RangerRick9211 said:

• Freeze for 24 hrs.

And the results!

All that work up and you don't even show me the ice. Like I can see how clear it is in that pic!
Boo this man.
I was trying to figure out who would ice cranberry juice
biobioprof
62strat said:

RangerRick9211 said:

• Freeze for 24 hrs.

And the results!

Boo this man.
It's so clear, you can't see it!
Max Power
AG
Nice looking drink, I also like fancy ice cubes when I'm drinking Pappy and Kool-aid.
MikesFamousJava
AG
Don't let these guys get to you, man. You drink your grenadine cooler proudly!
RangerRick9211
AG
Boulevardier.

No shame in my game.
Canyon99
What is the plastic piece in the first picture?
thaed137
AG
That is the mold he put in the cup upsdie down then chipped out.
Malachi Constant
AG
I think I read once that you aren't supposed to put a YETI in the freezer. Is that still the case? Either way nice ice.
HTownAg98
I thought that YETIs are so cold they make their own ice.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.