Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

la Barbecue line situation

3,552 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by MM12thMan
sims05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
How early do you need to be there on a Friday to make sure you get food? I know I missed the window to preorder and skip the line.
Tatem
we got there about 10:30 on a sat
sooooo good
FabricatorAg
Drive to Luling instead..you'll wait in a long line but you'll thank me later.
AggieOO
People were in line at Franklin's at 6a today. Lol.
SACR
AG

I went there Saturday, waited in line for two hours.

Not worth it.

Sausage was good, brisket was just okay. ribs were good.

Considering I was famished by the time we received our food, I was disappointed.
AggieOO
I've been to La BBQ a bunch of times as part of food tours. I think its great and the brisket is fantastic, right up there with Franklin's, though a notch below.

Can't speak to the line, since we never wait. That said, I wouldn't wait in line for 2 hours for ANY food.

I like Mickelthwait better than La BBQ though.
sims05
AG
Got there at 10:15. Line didn't seem to get long until 10:45 it so. I was coming in from College Station. Don't mind waiting in line.
always gig em
AG
Just went there today:

Waited in total 1:47, they sold out of beef and pork ribs about an hour into our wait, we got there at 11:24am. They had 3 mini kegs of various beers you could help yourself to while waiting, who am I to say no right? Killed a sixer plus easy.

1lb brisket------super tender, great bark, just like I like it
2 sausage links----appeared to have cheese bits and jalapeos in it but didn't taste it at all....really good and crisp
1/2 lb pulled pork---won't get again, too sweet tasting for me, I'm assuming ribs would've tasted the same
Side of potato salad---tasted like someone made it at home and brought it to a BBQ, just like I like it
Side of cole slaw---had an orangey glaze with a bit of sour to it, it was ok, probably wouldn't order again but good to try once

Too many other BBQ joints to pick from around here but good to try at least once
Sazerac
AG
I was in town this week and stayed on 11th so I could get to franklins by 10. Was in line at 10:10 and it didn't seem that bad, but in 20 min only about 6 people were behind us. Guy came out and told us 1:15 estimated eat time! Didn't have the time on this trip.

Thought about la Bbq but decided to go to Mickelthwaite down the street. Bit Disappointed for the supposed #3 spot in town. But we were 3rd served of the day at 11:05.
FaceMask
Go one block west to Kerlin BBQ. You'll thank me thereafter.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Thought about la Bbq but decided to go to Mickelthwaite down the street. Bit Disappointed for the supposed #3 spot in town. But we were 3rd served of the day at 11:05.
That's surprising. I've been very impressed with their brisket and sausage every time I've been. What didn't you like?
Sazerac
AG
Sausage was great. Brisket needed salt and smoke.
chipotle
always gig em said:

Waited in total 1:47, they sold out of beef and pork ribs about an hour into our wait, we got there at 11:24am.

I haven't eaten a whole lot of pork ribs but I remember theirs and being like, "oh, that's what it's supposed to taste like."
RAM700BA
AG
Mickelthwait just isn't that good. I've had it twice and I was disappointed both times. This was right as they were opening too, so it's not like it was scraps of what was left after the good meat was gone. Both times the briskets were just thick pieces of fat with little flavor.

I'd give my recommendation to Kerlin BBQ. Right down the road from La Barbecue. The wait is never that long and they are consistently good with brisket, ribs, and sausage.
AggieOO
RAM700BA said:

Mickelthwait just isn't that good. I've had it twice and I was disappointed both times. This was right as they were opening too, so it's not like it was scraps of what was left after the good meat was gone. Both times the briskets were just thick pieces of fat with little flavor.
i think you are absolutely crazy to say it isn't good. even if you prefer the other places, to say it isn't good is crazy. i've had it probably 7 or 8 times and it has been very good every time. "isn't good" is something like Dickey's.

I've not had Kerlin's yet, but going next week.
agfan2013
AG
I mentioned my mickelthwait's experience on another thread on this board and I was less than impressed as well. Seems like there's a few of us who haven't eaten the best BBQ there, so they might have some consistency issues. I will try to give it another shot but I don't see what the hype is about, if it truly was a top place I don't think you'd see the variation in reviews....
RAM700BA
AG
AggieOO said:

RAM700BA said:

i think you are absolutely crazy to say it isn't good. even if you prefer the other places, to say it isn't good is crazy. i've had it probably 7 or 8 times and it has been very good every time. "isn't good" is something like Dickey's.

I'm just comparing it to other top notch BBQ joints like Kerlin, La BBQ, Terry Black's, Fargo's, etc. yes it's better than Dickey's, but Dickey's doesn't cost me as much. I'll give it another try one day to see if it improves.
12thAngryMan
AG
RAM700BA said:

I'm just comparing it to other top notch BBQ joints like Kerlin, La BBQ, Terry Black's, Fargo's, etc. yes it's better than Dickey's, but Dickey's doesn't cost me as much. I'll give it another try one day to see if it improves.
I've had Fargo's twice and both times I thought it was mediocre. Definitely don't get the hype for that place.
NColoradoAG
12thAngryMan said:

RAM700BA said:

I've had Fargo's twice and both times I thought it was mediocre. Definitely don't get the hype for that place.

I stop at Fargos every time im in BCS and it never disappoints.
AggieOO
RAM700BA said:

AggieOO said:

RAM700BA said:

Had Kerlin's brisket and pork ribs on thurs. Pork ribs were on-point and quite tasty. I'd definitely go back and get them again. Brisket wasn't impressive at all. Not bad, but certainly not what I'd consider some of the best in Austin.

Was with a group of 8 people, and all 8 thought the same. Possibly hit them on a bad day, but after hearing so much about Kerlin's, I was disappointed.
NoahAg
Me on BBQ threads:

I did smoke some good chicken on a $40 smoker last night.
RAM700BA
AG
That's pretty much my experience with Kerlin (I go a couple of times a month). Ribs are always good. Brisket isn't bad, but other places are generally better. Every now and then the brisket is great, but not as consistent as the ribs.
MM12thMan
AG
Went to Pinkerton's for lunch in Houston today. Just made Texas Monthly's Top 50 BBQ.
Simply awesome brisket and ribs. Sides were good but meat was spectacular.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.