Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

So there is a reason to stop in Abilene

3,654 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Bluecat_Aggie94
Duncan Idaho
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So if you find yourself driving down I-20 near Abilene you should probably take the time to go swing by Vagabond Pizza.

Bonfire hit home run with this place everything is fantastic. Seriously, can't say enough good things about it. The pizzas are unique but not crazy. Even the one with the smoke jalapeno jam. Perfectly balanced sweet spicy salty fatty just fantastic.

The rest of the menu is just as great. The salads, the pimento cheese, the fresh churned butter, the desserts. All great
EFE
AG
Will this interfere with my usual stop in at one of the discreet road side establishments on the way through town?
Duncan Idaho
Just get some butter to go on your way to the other places
Potcake
AG
Tex-Mex at Mary's or breakfast tacos at El Popular
Joe Exotic
AG
EagleFordEarl said:

Will this interfere with my usual stop in at one of the discreet road side establishments on the way through town?

Jaguars
Philip J Fry
AG
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2642356/1#discussion
bonfirewillburn
AG
Really glad you enjoyed it!

Was great meeting you.
SACR
AG

Just curious, how long do y'all age/slow ferment your pizza dough?
Purple Parrot
schmendeler
AG
i don't plan to be in abilene any time soon (if i can help it). but if i do, it's on my itinerary.
bonfirewillburn
AG
24 on the absolute low end, typically somewhere around 60 though.

We're hurting in fridge space.....
West Texan
AG
Potcake said:

In West Texas, they're breakfast burritos. And if you're gonna go to La Popular then you need to get the carne guisada.

Also, there's several places to get better Mexican food than Mary's. Their ice cream is fantastic though!
Represent830
AG
West Texan said:

Potcake said:

In West Texas, they're breakfast burritos. And if you're gonna go to La Popular then you need to get the carne guisada.

Also, there's several places to get better Mexican food than Mary's. Their ice cream is fantastic though!

God this drives me absolutely nuts. My wife is from San Angelo and we now live in San Antonio. Her whole side of the family calls them breakfast burritos and we all look at them like they are aliens.
SACR
AG
Represent830 said:

West Texan said:

Potcake said:

God this drives me absolutely nuts. My wife is from San Angelo and we now live in San Antonio. Her whole side of the family calls them breakfast burritos and we all look at them like they are aliens.
Do they have rice in them?
West Texan
AG
Represent830 said:

West Texan said:

Potcake said:

They come rolled up and folded on the ends like a burrito, thus it's a breakfast burrito.

I had never heard them called breakfast tacos until I was a teenager. I thought that was out of left field.
Potcake
AG
I hear you on the breakfast taco thing. I learned the hard way once in Borger. Ordered two, because I thought they would be Austin size, but instead got two pounds of burrito. South Texas also has burrito sized.
fta09
AG
I grew up in SE NM (essentially West Texas) and breakfast burritos were always what we knew as the quick morning meal of choice. But, you do need to be careful, as a burrito in a diner/sit-down restaurant could be the size of your face. I had not seen breakfast tacos until stopping at a Valero in S TX while doing field training for oil and gas.

Back on topic, I definitely plan on stopping at Vagabond to try some pizza next time I drive to Dallas.
McCoveysCove
Joe Allens in Abilene is worth the trip
aeroag14
AG
Will be driving through in a short while. Will remember and have to try
biobioprof
bonfirewillburn said:

Really glad you enjoyed it!

Was great meeting you.
I haven't made it out there, but last week we had a celebration for graduating seniors. One of mine is from the area near Abilene. I mentioned to her parents that I had heard of this great pizza place run by an Ag (didn't recall that the name was Vagabond, but talked about your oven)... and they were pretty sure they had already had your pizza and loved it.
bonfirewillburn
AG
Great to hear!

We are the only wild fired pizza in Abilene, so it should have been us. There is a "Brickoven Pizza" here that some confuse from time to time, but thats happening less and less.

Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
My cousin and her husband just bought Cypress Street in Abilene and I hear it was outstanding before, and I hear they are making it better. I know I'll be visiting next time through.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.