Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Recommendations Requested for Great BBQ & Mexican in austin

2,598 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TxAgg07
Cardiac Saturday
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have a professional associate who will be traveling to austin & Texas for the first time here in a couple of days and asked for suggested places to get some great BBQ & Mexican food. Told her that I would ask on this board. Any suggestions??? TIA, Cardiac
MookieBlaylock
AG
Good luck finding bbq in Austin
Mexican food in Austin is terrible take him for proper texmex
Martin Cash
AG
Drive 30 miles to Lockhart for BBQ

Matt's El Rancho for Tex-Mex.

Fire away!
CrawfordAg
AG
Kill 2 birds with one stone...grab breakfast tacos at Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Enchiladas y Mas is divey and Delicous

Micklewaite,Stiles Switch and Valentinas are great without the Franklin or La BBQ lines
Gramercy Riffs
AG
**** Valentinas. The food is good, but you'd be better off not giving them your money. Complete *******s.
Potcake
AG
Gramercy Riffs said:

**** Valentinas. The food is good, but you'd be better off not giving them your money. Complete *******s.

You s*** on them everytime they are recommended, what is your beef with them?
Sooner Born
I've know Miguel and family for a very long time. They are incredible people. I've been elated to see Valentina's become what it has become.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Thanks for the suggestions - they have been passed on!
Long Live Sully
AG
I am late to the party but THE best brisket is at Louie Mueller in Taylor. Not too far to go.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Strongly disagree...BBQ sucks compared to what's offered in Austin (Franklins, Micklethwaits, LaBBQ). The atmosphere is cool however at Smitty's and Kreuz.
agcrock2005
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

I am late to the party but THE best brisket is at Snows in Lexington (if you don't want to wait in line at Franklin's). Not too far to go.
FIFY
Long Live Sully
AG
Where in the world is Lexington?

I will try it, but so far I think LM is mas Bueno.
Long Live Sully
AG
So, I found it on the map. I'll meet you there for 11:00 lunch one day and then we go to Taylor for 1:00 lunch.

And then we decide.
Potcake
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

So, I found it on the map. I'll meet you there for 11:00 lunch one day and then we go to Taylor for 1:00 lunch.

And then we decide.

Bad plan. Snows is only open on Saturdays and there will be no meat left at 11:00.
Martin Cash
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

Strongly disagree...BBQ sucks compared to what's offered in Austin (Franklins, Micklethwaits, LaBBQ). The atmosphere is cool however at Smitty's and Kreuz.
I laughed! We can't all have good taste!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Lockhart used to be the BBQ capital of Texas but Austin has taken that title. The Lockhart joints have BBQ all day not just until they run out, which makes consistency much more difficult. They ate great BBQ places but not in the same league as Snow, Franklin or La BBQ
sixiron
AG
Stiles Switch in Austin was one of my favorite BBQ places I ate at the last time I was there.
AggieOO
Potcake said:

Cow Hop Ag said:

And then we decide.

Bad plan. Snows is only open on Saturdays and there will be no meat left at 11:00.
took my response.
bularry
BQ75 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

yeah, yours needs work. the bbq is Austin has surpassed the Lockhart joints.
Martin Cash
AG
bularry said:

BQ75 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

No one has sausage to compare to Smitty's, Kreuz and Blacks. All of the supposed great places have sausage that tastes like Hillcrest Farms bought at HEB and thrown on the pit.
CDub06
AG
I believe Micklethwait was mentioned above. If you want sausage in Austin, that's your spot.
Cardiac Saturday
AG
Everyone needs to quiet down about all of the great bbq places ya'll have to choose from; try living in the SE corner of WA -- the Mexican food is good but there is almost no bbq here and what there is pretty much sux....
AggieOO
BQ75 said:

bularry said:

BQ75 said:

agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

No one has sausage to compare to Smitty's, Kreuz and Blacks. All of the supposed great places have sausage that tastes like Hillcrest Farms bought at HEB and thrown on the pit.

Laughable.
Sooner Born
Try Minnesota. Even Mexican is a no go.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

All of the supposed great places have sausage that tastes like Hillcrest Farms bought at HEB and thrown on the pit.
It's obvious your of the older generation that thinks Lockhart is amazing and the place to go in Texas to get great BBQ. That is simply not the case any more. That was the case until about 5 years ago when all of these amazing places started popping up after Franklin started his shop.

Your comment about "hillcrest farms" is laughable and shows that you probably haven't been to most of the places we're talking about. The Knockwurst sausage at Micklethwait is probably the best sausage I've ever had and it's handmade by them. Most of the top guys in Austin now either make their own or get it from someone doing that.
agcrock2005
AG
Cow Hop Ag said:

And then we decide.
Funny: TM ranks them #3 and #4 in the state

Pretty cool history. They were a tiny little place (started by an Aggie and "Tootsie" who is the 80-something year old pitmaster) in a crap town and Texas Monthly ranked them #1 in the state about a decade ago. They're only open on Saturday until they run out. Last time I was there I was looking at their pits outside and Tootsie said I could walk back there and she started showing me around. She had a little pit that she only cooks sausage on now (I believe) and she said that's what they had before the TM article came out and everything else was what they had to build immediately afterward.

Their brisket is damn near a tie with Franklin's. Very good.

PS: Think I might be going there this weekend. My in-laws live in Taylor so that puts me only 30 miles from some really good brisket!! Ha.
CDub06
AG
agcrock2005 said:

PS: Think I might be going there this weekend. My in-laws live in Taylor so that puts me only 30 miles from some really good brisket!! Ha.
If you're in Taylor, you're actually just a few miles from really good brisket.

To be fair, I am wearing my Louie Mueller shirt today.
CDub06
AG
Yeah, a further comment on the Hillcrest Sausage claim. The places that typically have that kind of sausage are also pretty careless about their other meats - low quality meats, cooked quick, trimmed bare. You'll find that in communities that don't care, but you're not going to find it among the top places in Texas. They'll either make their own, or (more typically) thoughtfully source it from a choice vendor.

I too am a bug fan of Kreuz sausage, but also, sausage isn't what is driving me to barbecue joints.
AggieOO
CDub06 said:

but also, sausage isn't what is driving me to barbecue joints.
this.
Long Live Sully
AG
This guy knows what's what.
TXAG 05
AG
Cardiac Saturday said:

Everyone needs to quiet down about all of the great bbq places ya'll have to choose from; try living in the SE corner of WA -- the Mexican food is good but there is almost no bbq here and what there is pretty much sux....

Somehow I doubt that the Mexican food is good up there.
FaceMask
Great BBQ without the BS line and ridiculously high price...Kerlin BBQ on East 1st!
shihitemuslim
AG
Franklins and Juan in a Million
TxAgg07
AG
Fonda San Miguel for Mexican (not Tex-Mex).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.