Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Victorinox chefs knife

2,121 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by cr
cr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bought it about a year ago. The cutting edge is pitted now.

I always hand wash it.

Anyone had similar issues?

It's $15 to send it back to see if they will repair it under warranty. At that price, maybe I'll just fork out the money for a new one in a different brand.
bam02
AG
I've had one for years and use it a lot. No putting issues. I always rinse it immediately after cutting anything acidic, though. Could it be from citric acid, tomatoes, etc?
RedlineAg08
What does pitted mean?

I sharpen mine on my WorkSharpe.. sharp as the day I bought it.
AggieStout
AG
Had one for about 2-3 years, dont use it everyday but use it every once and a while. Haven't had any issues with the edge. I also hand wash mine (not right away) also store it in a knife block, also cut with it on a nice wooden or plastic board.

Whats your cutting surface?
How do you store it?
Anyone else in the house that could mishandle your knife?
agcrock2005
AG
I got a Misen off Kickstarter and really like it a lot so far. I've had it about 6 months now. Have no idea how much they are now but I think I paid 30 bucks or something. They raised a **** ton of money on kickstarter so they might be more expensive now.
cr
bam02 said:

I've had one for years and use it a lot. No putting issues. I always rinse it immediately after cutting anything acidic, though. Could it be from citric acid, tomatoes, etc?

Hmmm... could be. I do hand wash it, but not immediately at times. I wasn't aware that the acidity could affect stainless steel like that.
bigtruckguy3500
Yeah, I'm curious what you mean by "pitted"? When I think of "pitted" I either think of rust pitting, or like denting as if you were chopping something and a piece of metal got under the blade or something like that.

I've had mine for about 3 years now. I have yet to sharpen it, and I just cut off part of my fingernail and a bit of skin, and didn't even feel it. Luckily the angle I was cutting at was such that it only took callous type skin off and didn't go deep enough to bleed. But somewhere in my food there's piece of fingernail. I'm cooking for myself, so I think it'll be ok.
cr
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Yeah, I'm curious what you mean by "pitted"? When I think of "pitted" I either think of rust pitting, or like denting as if you were chopping something and a piece of metal got under the blade or something like that.

I've had mine for about 3 years now. I have yet to sharpen it, and I just cut off part of my fingernail and a bit of skin, and didn't even feel it. Luckily the angle I was cutting at was such that it only took callous type skin off and didn't go deep enough to bleed. But somewhere in my food there's piece of fingernail. I'm cooking for myself, so I think it'll be ok.

By "pitting", I mean that the cutting edge has areas where it has deteriorated. Not like a chunk was taken out by hitting something, but like it simply corroded.

Maybe its the acid, like stated above. I cut tomatoes with it all the time and am not good about rinsing immediately.
bigtruckguy3500
Interesting. I think a good knife sharpener should fix it up.

Came across this today - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/991843612/mizu-chefs-knife-be-a-cut-above?ref=99tqcd

Looks like a pretty good knife at a pretty good price. I missed out on the Misen knife on kickstarter a few years ago. I think it was a similar price. If this is a similarly good knife, I'd rather get in now than wait till it's retailing for over $100.
cr
I bought a sharpener and ground some metal off of it, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IUWM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.