Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Cast iron skillet ID

2,246 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by '03ag
BCO07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was given this up today and I am unable to ID it and figured that this would be the board to help. The ridge in the handle that flattens out at the skillet tells me that it might be Wagner pre 1960, but the Wagner stuff that I've seen doesn't have the heat ring. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

tmaggies
AG
Pic?
CrottyKid
AG
1930s BSR Red Mountain, maybe.
The flat ridge at the pan is weird.
biobioprof
CrottyKid said:

1930s BSR Red Mountain, maybe.
The flat ridge at the pan is weird.
Looks like a good call:

https://thepan-handler.com/blog/identifying-and-dating-unmarked-or-unknown-maker-vintage-and-antique-cast-iron-skillets/

Quote:

Take a good look at the underside of the handle of your no-name skillet. Is there a ridge that goes all the way to the outer wall of the pan? This is a telltale sign of all unmarked BSR pans.

There are three primary BSR lines of cast iron skillets. All have the ridge on the underside of the handle that goes directly to the side wall. The "Red Mountain" series was manufactured in the 1930's and 1940's. These skillets typically have only a number, often followed by a letter, incised in the bottom of the pan near the handle. The number is typically about " high.

Might be pretty valuable. Check out the prices on the shop link at that website.
NATE AG03
AG
Damn, that was a nice ID Crotty.
schmendeler
AG
serious question: does it matter?
CrottyKid
AG
Maybe Mold L just had a little flat part on the ridge.
Log
AG
NATE AG03 said:

Damn, that was a nice ID Crotty.

I got it first over on the OB.
'03ag
This thread inspired me to look closely at a pan I got from my grandmother. It belonged to her mother in law oringally(so my great grandmother). It appears to be one of those BSR skillets. Says 5 R on the bottom. It's relatively small, maybe 8"

According to that link that means it's from the 30's or 40's. I honestly would've guessed older. My grandma has a ton more in her kitchen though. And damn can she use it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.