Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Prime Standing Ribeye Roast - Cook Tips requested

1,606 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Aggie_3
Premium
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just picked up an 8lb Prime standing ribeye roast for Easter lunch and I'm wondering the best way to cook it.

Tools I've got are a 22" Weber charcoal grill and a Weber Smokey Mountain.

Thanks for any tips on this cook!
NColoradoAG
Smoke at 200-225 until it hits 115-125 internal depending on how everyone likes their meat. Pull out the middle section and drop the grate over the coals and sear for a nice crust.

Or you could put it in a 550 degree oven to crust.
Premium
AG
Thanks, I'll do that!

Any favorite wood smoke and rub? No lid to sear?

How much time to do the whole thing that way?

125 appears to be rare - if people want medium rare does the searing get it up a little higher or should I smoke a little longer and then sear?
NColoradoAG
I've always used oak. For an 8 pound roast I would budget 5-6 hours from the moment you put it on the smoker to letting it rest for 20-30 minutes.
NColoradoAG
And no lid to sear. And dont leave it during that step. You'll want to turn and rotate it a lot to get a nice crust without burning it.

The oven is the safer method for crusting, but it also tends to fill the house with smoke and make the kitchen hot.
NColoradoAG
Premium said:

Thanks, I'll do that!

125 appears to be rare - if people want medium rare does the searing get it up a little higher or should I smoke a little longer and then sear?
How did it turn out?
Premium
AG
NColoradoAG said:

Premium said:

Thanks, I'll do that!

How did it turn out?

Did exactly as you said and it turned out great - slow smoked with Pecan, seared, rested. Poured juices from drip pan on top which added some great flavor. The only thing is I left it smoking while I went to church and it cooked a little faster than I intended. Still got a good medium/medium-rare cook which most people preferred. I would have liked it a little closer to rare.

Used this rub: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/cow_crust.html

Thanks for the advice!

chipotle
Cut pics right meow
Premium
AG
I wish I got cut picks but didnt. It was pink but I would consider it medium and not really close to medium rare.

I think the grade Prime 1 from Costco really made a difference
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
That cow crust seasoning is my go to, used it for prime rib at Christmas and Beef Tenderloin at Easter.
aggiebq03+
Looks like it turned out pretty good. I know it looks fancier for presentation on the bone, but I prefer to slice them off to get more crust. Remove bones and then reattached with butcher string for slow cooking part. Makes it easy to remove bones for searing at the end by just cutting the string.
Premium
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Looks like it turned out pretty good. I know it looks fancier for presentation on the bone, but I prefer to slice them off to get more crust. Remove bones and then reattached with butcher string for slow cooking part. Makes it easy to remove bones for searing at the end by just cutting the string.

That's a good idea and I did read the bones were reccomended to stay off during the cook. I'll probably buy it without bones next time - price would have been about the same per lb so more meat.

I will say searing the meat was pretty cool though - just picked it up by the bones with gloves on and flipped it.
Aggie_3
damn
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.