Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Los Nortenos Cheese Enchiladas

4,528 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Btron
ArlingtonAg2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Who has a recipe that's close?
Man, I miss that place.
Dr. Horrible
I miss it too. Don't have a recipe, but it probably starts with tracking down some of that addictive government cheese they used.
rilloaggie
AG
I miss the salsa with huge chunks of onion!
BlueMiles
AG
Was thinking of them yesterday. I miss the migas taco, with a coke or a cup of coffee.
normaleagle05
AG
It was a two beer Saturday morning walk to Los Nortenos from E. 30th Street. Those were days.

agcrock2005
AG
**** their enchiladas...I miss their breakfast burritos that could feed an army.

Really liked their warm salsa as well, but only time I ever walked in there was at about 7 am with beer and we were absolutely torn up. Hell, it could've sucked for all I know. Memories are great though!
Bulldog73
AG
Their guisada was freaking heaven for breakfast.
redd38
AG
I miss their migas
FCBlitz
I am near tears.....with getting old memories aren't as sharp. My favorite Mexican food was right behind Deluxe Burger Bar. And I ate there at least 3xs weekly. There Migas plate was the bomb.

Can someone refresh my memory the name. It was a small indoor/out door place. Who owned that place?
biobioprof
It was gone by the time I arrived here, but my first technician used to talk about La Taqueria aka La Taq. He said Lyle Lovett used to go there, IIRC.
FCBlitz
Thank you. La Taqueria. That place was one of the best eateries in town. Food was always fresh and cheap. There was not anything I did not like. There flour tortillas we really good.
FIDO*98*
AG
IIRC, they are just the basic enchilada gravy version of cheese enchiladas.

I use the Matt Martinez recipe below and sometimes add in a half square of caldo de tomate bouillon.

Preheat oven to 375

Soften a dozen corn tortillas in hot vegetable oil and set aside.

As far as the cheese goes, I'd buy a 8oz block of American cheese from the deli and grate it together with 8 oz tilamook mild cheddar.

Fill tortillas with cheese and chopped onion if desired and place seam side down in a glass casserole dish. Top with enchilada sauce then extra shredded cheese. Pop in the oven for 10 mins.

EARLY TEXAS (POOR BOY) ENCHILADA SAUCE

Recipe By :Matt Martinez's Culinary Frontier: A Real Texas Cookbook
Serving Size : 24 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Enchiladas Formulating Recipes
Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/2 cup lard -- vegetable
shortening or vegetable oil
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 1/3 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup chili powder
1 1/2 quarts water

In large skillet, heat lard to medium hot. Stir in flour and continue stirring until it turns a very light brown. This will take 3-4 minutes. Add all the dry ingredients and continue to cook for 1 minute, constantly stirring and blending ingredients. Add water or broth, mixing and stirring until the sauce thickens. Turn heat to low and let sauce simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Add more water to adjust the thickness to your preference
RK
AG
yea, I think the basic recipe is:

1. be extremely hungover from the night before
2. make cheese enchiladas...then add more cheese...then add some more cheese

TwoTimeAg
AG
La Taqueria was one of my favorite places back in the day...really miss it.
DTP02
AG
Bulldog73 said:

Their guisada was freaking heaven for breakfast.
It was our go-to hangover cure.
RGV AG
AG
Dos Amigos was far superior to Los Norts.
agcrock2005
AG
RGV AG said:

Dos Hermanos?
RGV AG
AG
agcrock2005 said:

RGV AG said:

Dos Hermanos?
You are so correct. It was Dos Hermanos. The original owner of Los Nortenos, if I am not mistaken, was the owner of Dos Hermanos. Something about a lease or letting someone run it while he opened a place in Conroe or something like that. I think Hermanos opened circa 1983 or so and lasted through about 1994 or so. Several of the ladies that worked at Hermanos were related and were older, health got the best of them. But for my taste and for price Hermanos was better than Los Nortenos.
australopithecus robustus
Used to work at La Taq, Deluxe, Rosalie's, Cafe Eccell and La Bodega. They were all good.

La Bodega lasted longer than any other biz in that space before it.

My fave was La Taq, though. La Bodega was just a better business model.
Btron
AG
When did they close down? I would go there all the time, bring dates, breakfast, lunch, dinner. Always a great time. I believe my picture made it on the wall on the left side of the restaurant. They had pics of their customers right? Also the random tejano band posters at check out were great too! Man, lots of memories about that spot. Thanks for the thread!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.