Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

what is the advantage of 'aging' pizza dough?

3,426 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by SACR
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've read on some other sites where they recommend aging the pizza dough, making it and then letting it sit in the fridge for 2-3 days.

What is the advantage of this process? The cold keeps the yeast from causing the bread to rise while in there, right?

Does the extra time help more flavors develop?
javajaws
AG
I find that it not only helps flavor, but also texture. Hard to describe it other than dough after a single day is "plain" but after 3-5 days it has character. Make a multi-ball batch and cook one the next day, then one after 3 days, then another after 5 and see for yourself. Big difference between 1-3 days. Smaller difference between 3-5. At least for the recipe I normally use...
biobioprof
The flavor changes come from a couple of things that result in a more complex mix of compounds. The most boring dough comes from doing a fast rise where you add sugar. The sugar gets converted by the yeast to CO2, acetic acid, and ethanol.

At the lower temperature where things slow down, you're going to get the yeast shifting to other nutrients in the flour and outputting different waste products. You also get more of a contribution from bacteria in the flour, which are what is doing the work in a sourdough.

I'm guessing that microbes chewing up some of the gluten might contribute to what javajaws sees, but that could also be due to slow rearranging of the gluten strands. There are also enzymes in the dough. Some people incubate flour and water alone before adding yeast and salt.

http://www.abreadaday.com/the-autolyse-method/
bigtruckguy3500
I let my cookie dough sit in the fridge for 24 hours and have had good results.
Change Detection
AG
So let me get this straight. Yeast shyte makes the pizza taste better!?
Duncan Idaho
General rule of food....No rot is good. A little rot is better. A lot of rot is bad.
ToddyHill
AG
As a Food Science friend of mine once said....the opposite of Fresh is not Frozen...the opposite of Fresh is Decomposing.
Duncan Idaho
ToddyHill said:

As a Food Science friend of mine once said....the opposite of Fresh is not Frozen...the opposite of Fresh is Decomposing.

I love explains to people what aging beef is actually doing.
biobioprof
Change Detection said:

So let me get this straight. Yeast shyte makes the pizza taste better!?
Do you eat honey?
Change Detection
AG
Yummy bee barf!
TMfrisco
AG
SACR said:

I've read on some other sites where they recommend aging the pizza dough, making it and then letting it sit in the fridge for 2-3 days.

What is the advantage of this process? The cold keeps the yeast from causing the bread to rise while in there, right?

Does the extra time help more flavors develop?
Makes the dough less "elastic", easier to shape and keep in shape.
SACR
AG

I am going to try this.

After making pepperoni rolls, I still have half a batch of dough left over.

I'm going to keep it in the fridge and see how it tastes after either 24 or 48 hours.

I may do a pizza tomorrow.
SACR
AG

Did a 48 hour cold ferment, made a pepperoni pizza, came out great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.