Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Won a Primo XL in a raffle...

4,045 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BEaggie08
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thank you for the laugh.
khkman22
AG
Where are you located? I'll take it for $500.
Third Day Pools
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I will never, not even once, cook a brisket on this thing.
I have a feeling you'll change your mind!

Brisket

Butt with smoke ring

20+ pounds off meat, I've seen 8 butts at once with extension

Ceramic cookers burn more efficient so you may see less smoke coming out the stack, but as mentioned somewhere else in the thread, if it's burning wood, you are imparting smoke into the meat.

I find the best way to get a smoke ring with ceramics is to get make sure you let that meat sit for at least 30 minutes with the seasoning (salt) in the fridge, put the meat on while its still cold. Goes for pork butt, brisket etc.I do agree that it is more tricky getting a smoke RING though not impossible. And doesn't make a difference.

Instead of burning a cord wood on a brisket, it just takes a few chunks mixed with lump. In fact, it's hard not to put TOO much smoke using ceramics. Just takes 2-4 chunks mixed in on a brisket.

Other advantages of ceramics are that you retain more moisture in the meat than you do offset grills. Heat is retained and you aren't opening the lid. You don't need a drip pan full of water and juice etc to keep meat juicy.

I get the nostalgia of throwing logs on an offset, stoking the coals, feeling like a real man, etc. But there is really nothing that a ceramic cooker can't do.

You want to play in fire, get an offset. You want performance, relaxing, cooking, go ceramic. Primo preferred.

If I had my way, (and space), I would have both!

*random: Did a pork butt last weekend on my Primo Oval XL (check my instagram @primogrillshouston). Put it on around 7 pm with my BBQ Guru set in ramp mode. No basting, no drip pan, no flipping. Intended to wake up and give her a look around 1 and wrap it, but chose to press snooze instead. Woke up and took it off. Set it in the cooler until 11:30. Compliments all day long, people asking me how I cooked it, and about the Primo.

Question: Would you want your offset to retain heat better? Hold temp Longer?

If you want to work, if you want nostalgia, go with an offset. If your main preference is good BBQ and you are comfortable with your manhood. Go Primo. If you have the space, go both.

The advantage of your Primo Oval is the oval shape. It's patented, no other ceramic brand can offer the oval shape. This allows for direct, and indirect cooking (two zones) at once. Meat on one side, vegetables on the other.

Made in SEC country, down in Georgia.

Message me on instagram if you have any questions. Have sold grills to quite a few person's on the Aggie boards.
gvine07
AG
It's laughable that the ceramic smokers don't give the smoke flavor or smoke ring. But I didn't come in here to derail, I'll recommend a few things:
steaks
spatchcock chicken or turkey - http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm
pizzas
burgers
lamb lollipops from Costco - http://amazingribs.com/recipes/lamb/rack_of_lamb_lollipops.html
fajitas

Making fatty's, pork loins, and tri-tip are great on ceramic cookers. I don't know if you consider those for your smoker

I have a BGE and the pizzas on there are the best ones I've had in my life, but getting the smoker that hot does almost kill the gasket
aTm2004
AG
Searing prime steaks.

agcrock2005
AG
Primo, way too long to read...

atm2004, steak looks perfectly cooked!

I've been using the crap out of my primo...probably 3-4 times a week. Surprised at how quickly that thing gets up to temp. Love how hot it gets. Perfect for searing. I've cooked pork chops, steaks, chicken and lots of roasted vegetables so far. I'll be trying the pizzas before too long. Need to get the pizza stone first.
aTm2004
AG
Oh, it was. Briskets are hit-or-miss with me (even on the KJ), but I've got steaks down. It's really making it hard to take the wife out to Pappa's Bros this weekend for our anniversary, but I guess she's due for a wine and dine.
I usually get the prime NY strips from HEB (will get ribeye if NY strip isn't on sale). Get the KJ up to about 600, dial it in to keep it there for about 5 minutes, then toss the steaks on for 4 minutes, flip, 4 minutes, flip, shut down fire, 4 minutes. I pull them off and let them sit for a few minutes to let the juices start flowing...usually just enough time for me to get my sides on my plate and a beer opened.
gvine07
AG
I'm glad you're enjoying it. One thing you probably learned is it's a lot easier to sear at the end. Once you get it hot its hard to cool down without killing the fire.

And again, pizzas are phenomenal but they can ruin your gasket. I wouldn't do it right before you have a bbq or cookout, just in case you have to replace the gasket. My wife and I looking forward to making pizzas on our egg every V-Day.
adamsbq06
AG
I recommend getting a controller for smoking... i have the cyberQ it is amazing.

https://www.bbqguru.com/
agcrock2005
AG
gvine07 said:

And again, pizzas are phenomenal but they can ruin your gasket.
What do you mean by this?
agcrock2005
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

I recommend getting a controller for smoking... i have the cyberQ it is amazing.

Why would I need that on a ceramic...so I won't have to go outside for 24 hours instead of 12?
adamsbq06
AG
I have the DigiQ... I use it to monitor things when i have to run and buy beer or run quick errandsduring my cooks. I have my patio security camera trained on the BGE as well... HEB, Academy and Whataburger are all within a mile of my house
BEaggie08
AG
agcrock2005 said:

gvine07 said:

You get it REALLY hot to make pizzas. Getting the ceramic cookers up in the 700 - 800 degree range will compromise (if not vaporize) the gaskets around the lid.
BEaggie08
AG
agcrock2005 said:

AdamsBQ06 said:

Why would I need that on a ceramic...so I won't have to go outside for 24 hours instead of 12?
Ruin a brisket on an overnight cook and you'll understand.

The controller is freaking great. I sleep much better now. My egg doesn't seal real well anymore (after 6 years). I admittedly need to make some adjustments, but the controller both helps me get a good fire going and is great for holding a low temp with zero risk of the coals going out.
aTm2004
AG
BEaggie08 said:

agcrock2005 said:

gvine07 said:

You get it REALLY hot to make pizzas. Getting the ceramic cookers up in the 700 - 800 degree range will compromise (if not vaporize) the gaskets around the lid.
5-600* makes just as good a pizza. Even if you have to replace your gasket annually or so, it's a minimal cost.
aTm2004
AG
BEaggie08 said:

agcrock2005 said:

AdamsBQ06 said:

The controller is freaking great. I sleep much better now. My egg doesn't seal real well anymore (after 6 years). I admittedly need to make some adjustments, but the controller both helps me get a good fire going and is great for holding a low temp with zero risk of the coals going out.
Or, you could spend $50-100 on a wireless/bluetooth temp probe and set a high/low alarm to wake you up should your temp get too hot or cold.
adamsbq06
AG
If i could do it all over id get a stoker though... after a certain point the DigiQ cant measure temp... there is an upper limit.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

You didn't read the thread did you??? Lol
Quote:

Or, you could spend $50-100 on a wireless/bluetooth temp probe and set a high/low alarm to wake you up should your temp get too hot or cold.
I really like the Igrill2. The mavericks were too complicated and didn't connect to phone.
BEaggie08
AG
aTm2004 said:

BEaggie08 said:

agcrock2005 said:

AdamsBQ06 said:

To each his own. I've had those and they kept failing. Though I never had one that alarmed for low temp, just high temp.

The BBQ Guru Party Q was $150, and it monitors temp and actually assists in the cook. If you don't want one, don't get one. For me, it's been a really nice addition and allows me more freedom while I have food on the Egg.
BEaggie08
AG
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

You didn't read the thread did you??? Lol

Haha. I know, I know. You'll never cook a brisket on it.
aTm2004
AG
I have the iGrill and love it. I put a brisket on Friday night about 10:30 and stayed up until about 11:30 when the temp got back up to what I had it dialed in at before putting the meat on. I woke up around 3 am to check the temp on my phone...was up to 230 from the 225 it was at when I went to bed. I put my phone down and went right back to sleep. When I woke up, I checked it again and it was around 230, but the graph showed it got up to around 240 throughout the night from what I assumed to be some larger chunks catching fire. The whole cook stayed within my 275-220 range.
aTm2004
AG
BEaggie08 said:

aTm2004 said:

BEaggie08 said:

agcrock2005 said:

AdamsBQ06 said:

To each his own. I've had those and they kept failing. Though I never had one that alarmed for low temp, just high temp.

The BBQ Guru Party Q was $150, and it monitors temp and actually assists in the cook. If you don't want one, don't get one. For me, it's been a really nice addition and allows me more freedom while I have food on the Egg.
The iGrill allows you to set a separate alarm for each probe (4 different ones). I normally have probe 1 as my grate temp and have my range set from 275-220, so I'll get alerted to any temps that read above or below that. I then set my other probes to my "done" temp depending on the meat I'm cooking. So for the brisket, I set it to 190 and got an alert Saturday morning that it had hit temp. I felt the brisket and it felt like butter, so I pulled it.

As you stated, to each their own. I'd like to get the DigiQ so I can hook it up via wifi and monitor my cooks from work, but that's a Christmas present idea as I'd never spend that on myself.
BEaggie08
AG

Quote:

I'd like to get the DigiQ so I can hook it up via wifi and monitor my cooks from work, but that's a Christmas present idea as I'd never spend that on myself.
Yeah, that's the end goal for me too. I got the PartyQ as kind of trial to test out using a controller. DigiQ that monitors dome and meat temps with access from anywhere would be killer.

In the meantime, I'll probably look into the iGrill.
adamsbq06
AG
Looks like the iGrill is missing the fan component... id look into the PartyQ as it is essentially a simplified digiQ. TheCyberQ gives you the wifi functionality...
BEaggie08
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

Looks like the iGrill is missing the fan component... id look into the PartyQ as it is essentially a simplified digiQ. TheCyberQ gives you the wifi functionality...
I already have a PartyQ. I may supplement with an iGrill.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.