Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Won a Primo XL in a raffle...

4,049 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BEaggie08
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
and I'm the guy that's bashed them and BGE for years on here because it doesn't get enough smoke and they're boring. Ironic.

Honestly though, I've heard they're badass for grilling, pizzas, and other stuff so I think I might give it a try and get rid of my other charcoal grill. What are some of your favorite things to cook on BGE or Primo?
FDT 1999
AG
Brisket, ribs, pork shoulder, steak, chicken, pizza. There hasn't been anything I didn't like. Agree on the smoke thing though. Seems like I can get better smoke on my offset, but you can't beat the temp control.
Post removed:
by user
adamsbq06
AG
I do 50/50 lump with wood chunks and I get a decent smoke... also use a CyberQ so I guess thats cheating
aggiederelict
Like a smoke ring matters.
adamsbq06
AG
According to Aaron Franklin it doesn't
FDT 1999
AG
Who said anything about a smoke ring?
aggiebq03+
Congrats on the raffle win. Hope you get to put it to good use.

If you are putting wood on the fire I don't see how you won't get smoke. it may not be beltching white clouds (which of course is bad anyway) but the combustion of the wood is generating smoke. Seems like you could just play with the vents until you get the desired airflow to generate the smoke you want.
AggieChemist
AG
Best upgrade I made to my BGE was to ditch the gimpy firestarters.

This is what I use now.

MAPP Torch

Sooner Born
With a ceramic cooker, it only takes a barely smoldering fire to get to 250. So while you are cooking over coal/wood, you're not getting the flavoring output at the rate you would from an offset.

If you opened the vents to get a nice, small fire, you'd have a 500* cooker.
'03ag
total garbage and you should sell it to me for $300.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

If you are putting wood on the fire I don't see how you won't get smoke. it may not be beltching white clouds (which of course is bad anyway) but the combustion of the wood is generating smoke. Seems like you could just play with the vents until you get the desired airflow to generate the smoke you want.
These things don't generate the smoke that an offset does, no matter what you do to it. In fact, in competitions, people that don't use offsets sometimes cheat and add some chemical (forgot the name) that creates a smoke ring even if they're cooking in a Backwoods or another type of upright smoker that doesn't put much smoke out, similar to these. Don't understand the science of it, but I've cooked on all types and haven't seen anything that can put out the smoke of a good offset.
adamsbq06
AG
But the smoke ring literally has nothing to do with how good the BBQ is... its a chemical reaction. You want a smoke ring? Season your brisket then put back in the fridge. Then when you are ready to cook, heat up Egg/Primo to cook temp and take brisket out of fridge and put on grill.
NColoradoAG
You guys are arguing two different things. Smoke rings vs. smoke flavor.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

But the smoke ring literally has nothing to do with how good the BBQ is
Never once said it did. But I do want to have one on my briskets which is why I'll continue to cook them in my offset.
HTownAg98
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

Never once said it did. But I do want to have one on my briskets which is why I'll continue to cook them in my offset.

Throw a little pink salt in your rub, and you'll have a smoke ring.
agcrock2005
AG
I will never, not even once, cook a brisket on this thing.
aggiebq03+
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

I can understand for competitions why you'd need the smoke ring, since the people judging care about It for some strange reason.

Why would you care if you get a smoke ring when cooking at home?

And my upright puts out plenty of smoke to flavor meat. Offsets aren't the only way to cook really good BBQ. Anyone who says so has no idea what they are talking about.
adamsbq06
AG
Bingo!

Can your offset bake a cake? Can it sear a steak? Can it make a pizza?

My BGE is multi use and I get plenty of smoke flavor... 50/50 lump to chunk does me well...
agcrock2005
AG
Wtf is wrong with you people? I started the thread saying I don't like this type of cooker for smoking and wanted to know other things to cook in them. I have a very nice offset that I will continue to cook on. I enjoy cooking on offsets. I like to cook with wood rather than lighting charcoal and putting a stick of wood on it and then coming back 12 hours later. I understand good BBQ can come off these things. That's not what I want to use it for however.
NColoradoAG
agcrock2005 said:

Wtf is wrong with you people? I started the thread saying I don't like this type of cooker for smoking and wanted to know other things to cook in them. I have a very nice offset that I will continue to cook on. I enjoy cooking on offsets. I like to cook with wood rather than lighting charcoal and putting a stick of wood on it and then coming back 12 hours later. I understand good BBQ can come off these things. That's not what I want to use it for however.

You can grill on it, or make some pizzas.
aggiebq03+
You asked what people like to make on their BGE type cooker.

Apparently lots of people like to use them to make BBQ. Don't get mad because you don't like the answer.
'03ag
agcrock2005 said:

Seems like "winning" this raffle is causing you nothing but stress and hassle . . . my offer still stands.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Seems like "winning" this raffle is causing you nothing but stress and hassle . . . my offer still stands.
RK
AG
agcrock2005 said:

I will never, not even once, cook a brisket on this thing.

If you keep it, you most likely will. Your stubbornness is noted though.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

If you keep it, you most likely will. Your stubbornness is noted though.
nm. I'll play nice.
RebelE Infantry
AG
I just got a Kamado Joe Big Joe last weekend. So far I have only done steaks on it but I have read really good things about spatchcocked chicken on these types of grills. I will probably try one this weekend as well as some burgers and whatever else comes to mind. I'm really intrigued by the idea of a seared venison backstrap at about 750 degrees.
agcrock2005
AG
I might try the chicken too. Great idea.
Ceramics are better at chicken than any other smoker I've used

Also, easy overnight briskets that literally require no work . I get that you don't want to do that though due to sacrilege
adamsbq06
AG
You must have missed the first part of the thread...
agcrock2005
AG
AdamsBQ06 said:

You must have missed the first part of the thread...
schmellba99
AG
I bought a Vision grill not too long ago because my gas grill lived a full and happy life, but died.

I like the ceramic because it heats up relatively quickly so i can cook on it during the week with little to no effort - light the lump and then go prep the meat while the charcoal and wood gets burning good. Usually cook 3 or so days worth of meals at a time to make use of the burn and to save time on busy days.

Chicken, sausage links, pork chops, bacon wrapped shrimps, hamburgers - all quick and easy and the smoke flavor really makes meals better IMO. Last few chicken breasts and some leftover steak made some good quesadillas.

Haven't done a steak yet because I am big on my steak on cast iron and finished in the oven method. Will probably do a pizza pretty soon to try that out - love that i can get the grill up to 700+ degrees for something along those lines. Wouldn't think twice about doing a pork shoulder, loin or small beef roast on it. Not sure if I'll do a brisket or not - I enjoy the process on my other smoker a lot.
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

Not sure if I'll do a brisket or not - I enjoy the process on my other smoker a lot.
You're not allowed to say that on this thread...

Thanks for the ideas. Bacon wrapped shrimp sounds awesome. Might do that with some jalapeno this weekend.
RK
AG
That's like saying "I'll never eat a whataburger even though it's convenient, I'd rather make and cook them from scratch at home."
MarylandAG
If you need supplemental smoke for whatever you are cooking, why not try one of these

www.amazenproducts.com

Relatively cheap and seem to have great reviews. Lots of people use them for supplemental smoke. YouTube them for several reviews. Just a thought anyway.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.