Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Any healthy (-ish) alternatives to feed coca-cola addiction?

7,529 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CrazyAgE
mavsfan4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
toolshed said:

http://www.sparklingice.com/

I like these. We buy the cases at Sam's. I like the coconut, but haven't found any I didn't like. They are similar to the HEB sparkling water. I think they taste better, but obviously cost more than the store brand.

I also do the Mio drops. Some of the energy and vitamin infused ones are minimal on flavor, but maybe they have less sweeteners. Not sure.

But it still doesn't give the same feeling as a good burn down the throat from a soda!! But @ 25 lbs lighter since December, I'll make the trade from sodas and sweet tea to the current options I guess.

These are the ice sparkling waters I was referring to in my post. They are really good. Much more flavor than normal sparkling water. So much flavor that I usually dilute them a little with plain sparkling water.
fta09
AG
I have always loved a glass of cold ice water. I tried topo chico and other flavored carbonated waters from HEB, but to me they simply taste like watered down lime/coconut/strawberry/etc and I did not care for them.

Honestly, if I wanted some flavor in my water, I would prefer to buy fresh lemons or limes and add them directly to my ice water. Other than that, I have iced tea 1 - 2 times per week but really try to limit my caffeine and don't do anything at all with it after lunch.
schmellba99
AG
Quit drinking soft drinks about 2 years ago now. Pretty much drink water, milk, coffee and some form of bourbon or rum these days.

I think i've had 2 soft drinks in the last 18 or so months - one was a sprite, which I couldn't finish because it was so sweet and the other was a DP at the Tennessee football game because it was hot and I was hell for hung over.

Mostly drink ice water with lemon or lemon juice. Will go lime if I'm at a mexican joint that doesn't have lemons.

Once you make the conscious choice to give up on cokes and what not, it's not that hard to just keep not drinking them. Dont miss them one bit to be honest.
AggieOO
mavsfan4ever said:

toolshed said:

http://www.sparklingice.com/

I like these. We buy the cases at Sam's. I like the coconut, but haven't found any I didn't like. They are similar to the HEB sparkling water. I think they taste better, but obviously cost more than the store brand.

I also do the Mio drops. Some of the energy and vitamin infused ones are minimal on flavor, but maybe they have less sweeteners. Not sure.

But it still doesn't give the same feeling as a good burn down the throat from a soda!! But @ 25 lbs lighter since December, I'll make the trade from sodas and sweet tea to the current options I guess.

These are the ice sparkling waters I was referring to in my post. They are really good. Much more flavor than normal sparkling water. So much flavor that I usually dilute them a little with plain sparkling water.
sparkling ice uses sucralose and other sweeteners, fyi.
Red Krow
One other person mentioned Kombucha. I now drink 1 Kombucha everyday. I was never too heavy of a soda drinker but now almost never drink them. I drink water, Le croiux, Topo Chico and my daily kombucha. It can get pretty pricey at $3+ a bottle so I started brewing/fermenting my own. It's not hard to do and tastes great.
Texker
AG
Check out Bai products. http://www.drinkbai.com/
SACR
AG

Coke Zero?
cypress-ag
AG
HEB Lime or Citrus and Topo Chico have been my go to. I've gone no soda's since January and feel so much better. Did no alcohol for 3 months as well but I've added a bit back but keeping it clear. Do not miss the sodas at all and I would drink 2 to 3 a day out of boredom. I have no desire to go back to them.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I was shocked at how decent the 5cal bai cola was when I sampled a can of it the other day at HEB. But I'm still a little unsure of products that sweet with only 5 calories.
bushytailed
AG
I'm six years soda-free. It's tough at first but can be done! Add me to the pro HEB sparkling water camp. Coconut and lime are my go-tos. I tried the Ice waters but I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea I figured they did by the taste of them. But they are still much healthier than cokes I presume.

On a related note, what are the health concerns for sucralose and other artificial sweeteners? I always hear people complain about sucralose but have never heard what the danger is associated with it.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Ozarka makes a flavored sparkling water product. They are at some Tom Thumb stores.

I'd try HEB but... there's no HEB near me. Central Market maybe?
62strat
AG
Serious question: have you tried just not buying them? Is it really that bad of an addiction that you can't just pass the entire aisle up and not put any in the grocery cart?

I buy Arnold palmer lite for at the house.
Absolute
AG
Another decent in between step is the izze sparkling fruit stuff. Has sugar from the fruit juice, but can satisfy the carbonation craving. But they are less sweet than Coke. Have also heard of half fruit juice and half mineral water. Same idea to ween off.
FCBlitz
We all have individual preferences.

Turning 50 I needed to stop taking in so many empty calories to avoid the Buda Belly. I have cut back on coke by buying the small can and limit myself to 1 a day.

In order to have no caffeine, no Sugat I have turned to lemon in my water. My wife and I will buy a bag full of lemon and we squeeze all of the juice out of the lemons and put the juice in pint size canning jars. I have one in the fridge and the rest I freeze until needed.

So I put about 8 ice cubes in an RTIC mug and then I splash in the lemon juice. Probably equal to 2 to 3 tablespoons in the cup then I fill my cup with bottled water.

I have gotten to the point where I find it quite good and it satisfies me to drink.

So my recommendations is to keep small cans around and do all of your main drinking with a big splash of lemon in the water.

I find it to be a good replacement for soda water.
gvine07
AG
I've tried to quit drinking cokes probably 5 or 6 times in my life and I never really made it more than a week...

I quit cokes this year to be healthier, probably only having 5 or 6 since late December. At first I was drinking gatorade or powerade to quench my thirst, and now I have converted to mostly water. Whataburger and Sonic have Powerade fountain drinks and that helps

I've always been a slim build, but I lost an inch in my waist when I dropped cokes and traded a bag of chips for an apple at lunch. I was working out as often before the change as I am now.

I don't know much about healthy food/drinks and now I'm wondering; Are Powerade and Gatorade remotely healthy?
fta09
AG
One 12 oz can of Coke has 140 calories and 39 g of sugar. One 20 oz bottle of lemon-lime Gatorade has 140 calories and 34 g of sugar. So, no, not really, if you are looking at it from a calorie and sugar intake point of view.
AggieOO
mavsfan4ever said:

Yea I figured they did by the taste of them. But they are still much healthier than cokes I presume.

On a related note, what are the health concerns for sucralose and other artificial sweeteners? I always hear people complain about sucralose but have never heard what the danger is associated with it.
sucralose reduces the amount of good bacteria in your intestines. i can cause bloating, gas, diarrhea, etc.
Seanzy2012
AG
62strat said:

Serious question: have you tried just not buying them? Is it really that bad of an addiction that you can't just pass the entire aisle up and not put any in the grocery cart?

I buy Arnold palmer lite for at the house.

It was more for a pick-me-up for when I was at work or getting home for work. It was worse than the grocery cart though, I'd go to vending machines, so in essence I was spending a lot more money too.

Luckily I've been off of them for 8 days since I've started the thread. Drinking a ton of water and supplementing tea whenever I get a sweeter hankering. Chomping on ice helps (we've got one of those ice machines that makes sonic ice) so that keeps me occupied (even though it can't be good for your teeth).

Everyone was right. After a couple of days, you don't really want them as bad anymore. Have even passed them up when offered for free. Stuff is poison. Really just had to make a conscious decision to stop or drink something else.

That zero calorie green tea w/ honey seems to be what does it for me. I know it has some added chemicals (not aspartame) but I suppose that its better than that large sugar/caffeine rush. Feeling better too.
gvine07
AG
Thank you for the response. I'm not worried about calories - I'm "supposed" to eat 800+ more calories than my wife a day. I'm mostly trying to keep bad chemicals like phosphoric acid out, but also trying to be holistically healthier since we had a baby last year

Being healthy is hard, y'all...
BurnetAggie99
Coke Zero
Pepsi Maxx
AggieT
AG
Topo Chico plus Mio.
62strat
AG
I always wondered why some drink companies don't try a normal recipe drink, with real sugar, but about half as much. A coke with half the sugar (without adding other artificial crap). I bet I would like it.

Coke C2 I think was this (it was half calorie coke.. not sure if they added anything else though)

Coke Life is sweetened with stevia and sugar, but less sugar overall, so less calories. I think it's great, but hear it's being pulled.

I guess low sugar just doesn't sell.
jeffdjohnson
San Pelligrino Limonata is pretty good.
Purchase or make some watermelon aqua fresca.
http://www.food.com/recipe/mexican-watermelon-agua-fresca-1-ww-point-370541
AMF 2 AMC
AG
1 bottle Topo Chico + 1 can San Pellegrino
htxag09
AG
Count me as one who just loves water. I easily drink over a gallon a day.

Recently starting drinking topo chico, mainly just because the wife likes it and it's around.

Another thing she's done that I haven't seen on this thread is to make flavored ice to add to water. I know I'm forgetting some of what she's done and may be mis-remembering a couple but believe she's done lemon and mint, raspberry and mint, watermelon and rosemary, cucumber... I'll fill up an insulated rambler with the ice (or half with flavored ice and half normal ice) and just refill with water throughout the day. Ice slowly melts so I have cold, flavored water all day.
CrazyAgE
Anyone know what the difference between the little bulbs of lemon juice you can usually find in the produce area, or even a bottoms of lemon juice, versus the lemon fruits you buy in produce? Thanks
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.