Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Any healthy (-ish) alternatives to feed coca-cola addiction?

7,635 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CrazyAgE
Seanzy2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alright, I really really like Cokes. With that said, I need to cut down to maybe one a week (versus 1-2 a day). Put that together with my weekend boozing, I'm starting to understand why I have had a persistent headaches.

I used to use those lemonade packets in my water, but started feeling bad too (found out they have that same crap in diet cokes).

So. Any suggestions? I like green teas but they are also loaded down with sugar and aspartame (in most cases).

Now I do say healthy-ish because low sugar would be alright but something that has some taste or flavor to it that isn't killing me.

Think cold drinks. I'm not going to take the time to boil water and dangle a tea bag in it.

Please refrain from the "oh but water is just so good." We get it. You workout. This is why I posted it on the food board...now go back to Planet Fitness where there aren't suppose to be meat heads...but there totally are...because it's a cheaper membership...I'm not dogging you for going with cheaper option....I'm just saying, let it rest...I really want a Coke right now...yeah I'm getting a Coke.
AggieOO
la croix or the HEB brand.

you'll probably hate it though b/c you are use to all that sugar. Plus, no caffeine in them, if you are looking for that. For me, it was more about the carbonation than anything, though I do like some flavor.

I'll also drink Topo Chico if I'm out and about.
streetfighter2012
AG
I've started drinking a Topo with lime juice a few nights a week to cut out alcohol. Not sure if it'll help with coke cravings but its working for me.
AggieOO
streetfighter2012 said:

I've started drinking a Topo with lime juice a few nights a week to cut out alcohol. Not sure if it'll help with coke cravings but its working for me.
are you adding your own lime? b/c you know they have a lime-flavored topo, right?
Represent830
AG
Topo Chico ftw

I don't like the TC with lime. Has an off flavor. The grapefruit is fire.
Vernada
AG
The sparkling I hit every week:

Lime Topo (1 or 2 per week)
Central Market Italian Sparkling Mineral Water (1-2 day)
La Croix Grapefruit (1-2 per day)
Seanzy2012
AG
I can actually cut it out, having done it before. Just had to have some sort of alternative to water and I'm good. Used to drink a lot of that organic green tea from Arizona, but heard it had chemicals in it too.

Think I'll look for Topo Chio and La Criox today.
slappy
AG
I started drinking HEB sparking. Grapefruit is pretty good.
Beckdiesel03
AG
For me to quit my afternoon Diet Coke or Dr. pepper addiction I switched to sweet tea for awhile. After awhile I then did half and half tea bc quite honestly it was too sweet. Then I did unsweetened tea. Also it wasn't every day. I was cutting back to just a few times a week. After awhile it was pretty easy to just drop it all together. And yep I am also on the topo bandwagon when I just need something other than plain ice water. It was pretty painless that way for me. I rarely ever drink sodas or tea now.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Topo Chico, Drinking Vinegars, Kombucha along with 96 to 128 oz or water per day. I will pour some fresh fruit juice into my Topo from time to time. If its a heavy sugar "addiction" a Whole30 will help you break that.
NATE AG03
AG
I'll second or third the HEB sparkling water. It's a cheaper La Croix. The orange and grapefruit are my go-tos.
Matsui
AG
green tea doesn't have sugar in it. don't buy the ones with ADDED sugar. Just get the plain ones.
JYDog90
AG
Beckdiesel03 said:

For me to quit my afternoon Diet Coke or Dr. pepper addiction I switched to sweet tea for awhile. After awhile I then did half and half tea bc quite honestly it was too sweet. Then I did unsweetened tea. Also it wasn't every day. I was cutting back to just a few times a week. After awhile it was pretty easy to just drop it all together. And yep I am also on the topo bandwagon when I just need something other than plain ice water. It was pretty painless that way for me. I rarely ever drink sodas or tea now.
Reminds me of Uncle Buck quitting smoking.

Beckdiesel03
AG
Haha! I guess I should have mentioned I was also dealing with an infant who was NOT ever wanting to sleep so the afternoon caffeine was pretty needed at that time
TennAg
Agree with the sweet tea method. I've gradually backed down on the sugar and actually can feel treated by just a couple ripped up stevia leaves if i want. The new cold water tea bags are nice too for work pinches.

That said coke will always be my mistress with mexican or pretty much any ethnic food. it's just made to be.
cr0wbar
AG
man- honestly. If you can make it 1-2 weeks without having any soda. The moment you go back it tastes like *****

I go to the movies and can barely stomach a few sips of Dr Pepper. Just doesn't taste as good.
jenn96
AG
cr0wbar said:

man- honestly. If you can make it 1-2 weeks without having any soda. The moment you go back it tastes like *****

This has not been my experience. I've managed to quit drinking cokes for weeks at a time - occasionally as long as a month - and when I have one again it tastes better than ever.
AggieOO
NATE AG03 said:

I'll second or third the HEB sparkling water. It's a cheaper La Croix. The orange and grapefruit are my go-tos.
coconut is my current favorite, but we keep orange around too.
NATE AG03
AG
Quote:

coconut is my current favorite, but we keep orange around too.

Nice, I'll have to give that a shot.
docaggie
AG
I had to give up all carbonated stuff about three years ago. I was a steady diet coke drinker before that.
Now, I get my caffeine from coffee. Otherwise, I'm drinking water with flavoring in it. The Mios are quite good. I do a lot of the mango peach and the strawberry watermelon. My wife swears by strawberry kiwi.
Nice thing about them is they are compact, so you can take it with you and add it to a water you get while out and about.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Seanzy2012
AG
Tried the La Crouix. The after taste was a little sharp for my liking. I did get another bottle of the Arizona green tea (the zero calories one with the Japanese Geisha on the front) that has some honey that I actually really like. It might have some chemicals in it but it might be what I need to start coming off the cokes. Then I can gradually work my way down to the more natural stuff.

But yeah the La Crouix, just wasn't a big fan. They only came in 12 packs so now I've got 11 left. Maybe it'll be an acquired taste.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I'm not a big fan of lecroix either.

There is a new (I think it's new) sparkling water I found called Ice. It's no sugar, no calories I believe, but had a ton of flavor. I'm not sure where it gets it's flavor from but it definitely doesn't taste like no sugar. I like mixing it half and half with plain sparkling water.

I've also tried a few other sparkling water type drinks that I've liked. But Ice is my favorite.

Also, for non carbonated drinks, body armour is really good. Even their low calorie low sugar versions have a great taste. I have also tried tremino which is decent. Both of those have coconut water in them.
Martin Cash
AG
Have you tried the Coca-Cola Lite?
Cancelled
AG
BQ75 said:

Have you tried the Coca-Cola Lite?

That stuff is nasty.

I quit drinking sodas about 5 years ago. I'll have one every now and then but I can't hardly stomach them. I understand now why a serving used to be like 8 oz rather than 32 oz. just way too much sugar.

Good luck.
AggieOO
Seanzy2012 said:

Tried the La Crouix. The after taste was a little sharp for my liking. I did get another bottle of the Arizona green tea (the zero calories one with the Japanese Geisha on the front) that has some honey that I actually really like. It might have some chemicals in it but it might be what I need to start coming off the cokes. Then I can gradually work my way down to the more natural stuff.

But yeah the La Crouix, just wasn't a big fan. They only came in 12 packs so now I've got 11 left. Maybe it'll be an acquired taste.

Told you that you probably wouldn't like it.
toolshed
AG
http://www.sparklingice.com/

I like these. We buy the cases at Sam's. I like the coconut, but haven't found any I didn't like. They are similar to the HEB sparkling water. I think they taste better, but obviously cost more than the store brand.

I also do the Mio drops. Some of the energy and vitamin infused ones are minimal on flavor, but maybe they have less sweeteners. Not sure.

But it still doesn't give the same feeling as a good burn down the throat from a soda!! But @ 25 lbs lighter since December, I'll make the trade from sodas and sweet tea to the current options I guess.
JFrench
AG
Preface this with I drink a DP maybe once a month.

Try angostura bitters in the sparkling waters. Feel like it adds a syrupy flavor. Some of the flavored waters i dont care for. Try fruit juices along with the bitters.

Wife drinks berry propel water. That flavor with the bitters reminds me the most of a soda. Probably has the fake stuff you're trying to avoid though.

Angostura is easy to find but there are lots of other bitters available with different flavors.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Topo Chico + Meth is the combo i used to ween myself off cokes.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Coke (imported Mexican only) just doesn't taste right unless cut with whiskey or rum. This is frowned upon at work. So just adult already and drink water. Twist of lime if you need a little flavor. Or lemon, if that's your jam.
74Ag17
Coffee, tea and, yes, water.... LOTS of water! Citrus fruits with water if so desired. But lots of H2O!! Google benefits of hydration!
Martin Cash
AG
74Ag17 said:

Coffee, tea and, yes, water.... LOTS of water! Citrus fruits with water if so desired. But lots of H2O!! Google benefits of hydration!
Water is bad for you. I never drink water unless it has first been filtered through hops, barley, corn, juniper berries, wheat or grapes.
bigtruckguy3500
Yeah, I agree with everyone that's saying water. Just go cold turkey for a few weeks and drink nothing but water. Drink carbonated water if you must, but give up on the flavored/sugary stuff. Just give it a try and see how it goes.
AlaskanAg99
AG
BQ75 said:

74Ag17 said:

Water is bad for you. I never drink water unless it has first been filtered through hops, barley, corn, juniper berries, wheat or grapes.

Might want to use yeast to ferment out those mixtures. Just sayin....
Seanzy2012
AG
An optimist, but a realist...

Here is what I've started drinking. It's actually really good. Covers the whole sweet tooth thing too.

Lily09
AG
Another + for HEB sparkling water. We buy the sweetened bottles. My husband was a daily Coke drinker and I had him try the sparkling water. He loves them. My favorites are lime and lemon.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.