Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Looking for a good salsa recipe

2,598 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
tamc1956ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
for party? any ideas...need it to be fairly simple..
RGV AG
AG
There are probably better recipes than this, but this is pretty easy and usually is pretty good. I never measure amounts, just go by how much I want to make and how hot or not hot I want it.

-In salted water boil tomatoes, half a small onion, some garlic pods, and the peppers or pepper combination of your choice. My go to pepper combination is a jalapeno or two, one serrano, and a couple of dry chile de ancho chili's that you buy at the Mexican grocery and or most grocery stores nowadays. For that pepper amount I would use 3-4 large tomatoes or 6-8 roma tomatoes. I have found I like Roma's better when they are just overripe.

-Boil the above for a while, like simmering for about 15-18 min.

-In a separate pan/pot, mix about a teaspoon full of either Knorr Caldo de Tomate or Knorr Caldo de Pollo with about 6 ounces of water, heat and dissolve the mix.

-After the above stuff has simmered, drain it and put it into a blender. Put in another 2-3 1/4" onion slices, and maybe a small garlic pod and Cilantro leaves to taste. Grind it up in a blender, but do not puree. I go easy on Cilantro because I am not that crazy about it, just like a hint of it.

-Depending on the consistency, add some of the Knorr broth mix. And blend again.

-I season with dried Cumin, a couple of dashes and if I have it some Goya Adobo seasoning. Oh, and also add some lime juice at some point, not too much. I use the broth mix as a salt addition, occasionally I will use some seasoned salt and a couple of squirts of Maggie Sauce.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Broil 10 tomatillos, 1 white onion and 4 Serrano peppers until charred.

Transfer with handful of cilantro into food processor and puree.

Transfer to a skillet set over medium heat with veg oil and cook for 3 minutes.

Cool and then blend in food processor with 1 avocado and 1 tsp salt.
agcrock2005
AG
Didn't read either of the first two because you said "simple" and they're both long (and probably very good) but here's simple.

fresh ripe tomatoes, cilantro, white onion, fresh serrano (or jalapeno), lime juice, salt

LGAggie
AG
Bingo!

Roasted salsa is good to, but it's a pain to make. Hard to beat all fresh ingredients straight from the food processor.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Take simple to the next level and use a can of crushed tomatoes instead of fresh tomatoes of any variety. Onion, garlic, jalapeno, cilantro, lime, salt, pepper, food processor. You're done.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Here's my simple non roasted salsa recipe:

3/4 pound fresh tomatoes, 3 serranos, 1 small white onion, dozen sprigs of cilantro, 1 clove of garlic, juice from 1 lime, 3/4 tsp salt.
Martin Cash
AG
1. Go to HEB
2. Go to refrigerated section
3. Buy Julio's
91AggieLawyer
AG
I'm not going to give you my recipe, but Bruce's will work fine. The thing I will tell you is to not use crushed or diced tomatoes. Use canned whole tomatoes and carefully remove the seeds and stems. A bit more of a pain than just dumping the whole can in, but you'll like it better.
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Use the crushed. I've done both, and the difference isn't enough to bother.

But I'm sure the top secret salsa recipe is nails. It's such an important menu item - gotta keep that thing under wraps.
74Ag17
Tomatoes and a habanero pepper... Wow such awesomeness!
bierweisse
Bruce Almighty said:

Broil 10 tomatillos, 1 white onion and 4 Serrano peppers until charred.

Transfer with handful of cilantro into food processor and puree.

Transfer to a skillet set over medium heat with veg oil and cook for 3 minutes.

Cool and then blend in food processor with 1 avocado and 1 tsp salt.

Green salsa is the best.
UndergroundAg
Pace picante
fav13andac1)c
AG
Fresh tomatillos, avocado, Serrano, cilantro, lime, salt.

Blend in blender. Adjust the ingredients to your desired consistency but with tomatillos taking center stage. Doesn't get much simpler.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Salsa fresca: Tomatoes(fresh plum or canned chicken crushed if in a pinch), tomatillos, yellow onion, couple jalapeos, couple seranos, garlic, bunch of cilantro, lime juice (or red wine vinegar), salt, pepper and a little comino (cumin).

Mix in varying amounts and blend til desired consistency. The tomatillos add pectin so it thickens the mixture up, otherwise your red salsa can get too soupy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.