Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

This forum needs some new content! Post weekend outdoor cooking plans (or anything!)

4,504 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Kool
Seanzy2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

agcrock2005 said:

aggiebq03+ said:

This is exactly why I'll never compete in BBQ competitions.
Because they like smoke rings? There are a lot of other reasons that are better than that...like time consuming, it's hot, have to go against what you actually like, etc. I personally want a smoke ring when I'm "smoking" something.

I don't want to do competitions because they care about stuff other than good tasting BBQ.

I just want my food to taste "smokey" when I smoke something. I don't give a **** if a chemical reaction happens that turns some of the outter meat pink or not.
Those competition ribs are too heavy on the sugar for their rubs (because they want to impress the judges on the first bite.)

My first time smoking spareribs, I followed a competition recipe someone posted online. I thought I was going to get diabetes from 2-3 ribs. I felt like I'd eaten three pieces of cheesecake (that sugary full feeling).

If cooking for a family BBQ, take it a little easier on the brown sugar versus some of these BBQ competitors recipes. They can be a little much.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Seanzy2012 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

After being a judge at the American Royal in KC one year, I'm come to realize that BBQ competitions are a total crapshoot.
Did you have to take a BBQ judge class to do that? I've heard to become a judge you need some sort of certification.
When I did it maybe 10 years ago, only the table captains had to take a class. I think now, all judges have to, but I'm not entirely sure.
Seanzy2012
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Seanzy2012 said:

Bruce Almighty said:

After being a judge at the American Royal in KC one year, I'm come to realize that BBQ competitions are a total crapshoot.
Did you have to take a BBQ judge class to do that? I've heard to become a judge you need some sort of certification.
When I did it maybe 10 years ago, only the table captains had to take a class. I think now, all judges have to, but I'm not entirely sure.
Always wanted to. Not so much to actually judge the competition but to get ideas.
aggiespartan
AG
Next weekend, I think we are going to smoke a big pork belly. Not sure how it's going to turn out, but hopefully delicious.
Sooner Born
Bruce Almighty said:

You say that yet the same teams win contest after contest.
OregonAggie
AG
16lb brisket been on since midnight. Didn't plan on smoking one this large so I already wrapped it...which I don't like doing.

[URL=.html][/URL]

Hope you boys are smoking something today!
SACR
AG

I bought five lbs of tomatoes yesterday, so making a sauce today.

Also have three lbs of ground beef, that is either going to be meatballs or filling for stromboli, or both.
Max Power
AG
I don't like my ribs very sweet either, just make your own rub and either use just a little brown sugar or eliminate is completely. I stopped using the 3-2-1 method and just smoke completely uncovered and keep a water pan going and mop them hourly after the first two hours.
Kool
AG

Nothing recent,but this was a winter time Cub Scout campout where the adults cooked a side of salmon over open fire. Damn good eating, too.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.