Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

This forum needs some new content! Post weekend outdoor cooking plans (or anything!)

4,503 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Kool
Seanzy2012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is one of my favorite forums on TexAgs (I know, crazy) but man we need some new stuff!

So what are you guys cooking this weekend? Any recipes? Or trying something new?

Been considering smoking some Memphis style dry rub baby backs myself...that or a pork loin. Or (been the 3rd weekend in a row) boil some crawfish ($2.10 per lbs).
62strat
AG
Doing an 80 lb boil here in early April! Can't wait.

streetfighter2012
AG
Nothing planned yet for this weekend, but last weekend I cooked up some pretty good gluten free chicken parm. when my wife's sister and brother in law were visiting. Used corn Chex and almond flower as the breading.
dummble
AG
tomorrow I am dropping my the mexican meat market for some lengua. I am going to dust off the crockpot and have breakfast tacos ready for Saturday.
Beckdiesel03
AG
No plans this weekend but last weekend we did 16 lbs of venison jerky only to have our vacuum sealer break at 8pm Sunday as we were trying to finish up. The following weekend is a crawfish boils for our sons 2nd birthday
normaleagle05
AG
I should be taking possession of our new house in mid April. Finally will be out of my in-laws kitchen! Then content!
Bruce Almighty
AG
No plans this weekend but just grilled up some snapper for fish tacos
Tanya 93
I made my birthday cake.

Not perfect because I had to do the school run because the layers took longer to cool than I wanted, but it was tasty

Chocolate cake with peanut butter mousse filling and chocolate fudge frosting.

aggiebq03+
Our Canadian neighbors have some family visiting them here in Houston, and asked for some help providing Texas themed food. So doing a brisket, pulled pork, beans with left over chopped brisket from last weekend, and buying some Texas beer. Hoping the wife makes some pecan bars also.

Neighbor across the street is doing crawfish boil for the same dinner.

Gonna be a good weekend.
aggiebq03+
Tanya 93 said:

I made my birthday cake.
Chocolate cake with peanut butter mousse filling and chocolate fudge frosting.

This looks amazing. Feels like I'm getting diabetes just from looking at it.

Also, happy birthday!
aggiespartan
AG
This weekend I'm working on macarons, decorating some logo cookies, bull skull cookies, and probably frying up some catfish.
agcrock2005
AG
2 briskets, 6 racks of spares, 1 pork butt and some sausage. Will probably kill an 18 pack in the process.
NColoradoAG
I have a 34oz prime, dry aged tomahawk ribeye thawing in the fridge. Gonna have to saw down the bone to fit it in a water bath though.
12thAngryMan
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Our Canadian neighbors have some family visiting them here in Houston, and asked for some help providing Texas themed food. So doing a brisket, pulled pork, beans with left over chopped brisket from last weekend, and buying some Texas beer. Hoping the wife makes some pecan bars also.

Neighbor across the street is doing crawfish boil for the same dinner.

Gonna be a good weekend.
Dang, can I come over, too? Sounds like an awesome Texan meal.
Reel Aggies
AG
Have a 8# prime brisket on the Acorn smoking away....
aggie orbitalwelder
Have some nice halibut stakes. I really don't know what to do with them. Any suggestions?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Haven't decided yet... Ive done a lot of crazy cooks the past couple weeks so I think I'll take it easy this weekend and do some Parmesan Grouper. I have ~15# left from an offshore trip i took back in September.
74Ag17
Had plans to smoke Kansas City style baby back ribs however found out a caravan of smokers is competing down the street. BBQ Cook Off... KC style. $10 buys a bracelet entitling you to eat all the BBQ you can all day... Fancy trailers are everywhere!
agcrock2005
AG
aggieorbitalwelder said:

Have some nice halibut stakes. I really don't know what to do with them. Any suggestions?
Allrecipes.com has some really good recipes. Anything from mayonnaise based sauces to grilled in butter with lemon and dill which is one of my favorites. You can do a lot with halibut. My favorite fish by far!
aggiebq03+
Brisket on the smoker and the beans are soaking. Weekend has officially started.

agcrock2005
AG
Is that a backwoods smoker? You get a smoke ring with it? Guy I cook with in competitions bought one and we cooked on it last weekend and there was zero smoke ring. Very dissatisfied. Kept temp all damn day but no smoke. We talked to some other folks out there and they said same thing. Think we'll have to get an offset to cook on before wrapping and then move to backwoods.

Edit: thing looks nice!
aggiebq03+
My smoker is a Pitmaker. I don't get a massive thick pink smoke ring, but it may not be the pit that's the issue. I don't do anything at all out if the way to get a ring. What I do get is great smoke flavor, which is what I care about. Has no issues whatsoever generating smoke. I use charcoal with several large chunks of Pecan usually.

Btron
AG
Smoke rings are overrated
agcrock2005
AG
Btron said:

Smoke rings are overrated

Yes...but I compete in competitions with the goal of actually trying to do well and judges want smoke ring.
aggiebq03+
This is exactly why I'll never compete in BBQ competitions.
aggiespartan
AG
I did this over the weekend. I did a similar set before, but I did some different colors with these. Thinking about doing a similar set for our Muster auction.

Next weekend is going to be all macarons.
agcrock2005
AG
aggiebq03+ said:

Because they like smoke rings? There are a lot of other reasons that are better than that...like time consuming, it's hot, have to go against what you actually like, etc. I personally want a smoke ring when I'm "smoking" something.

The part I don't like about the competitions is you basically cook for a judge to take one bite so it has to stand out, meaning that most people inject their briskets and they're very salty. The ribs on the other hand are sugary after the glaze is put on and way too sweet for me. I like smoky ribs with no sauce/glaze. When I've done well at a competition, I have not liked my food. That's the part I don't like.

The fun part about the competitions far outweigh this though in my opinion.
Bruce Almighty
AG
After being a judge at the American Royal in KC one year, I'm come to realize that BBQ competitions are a total crapshoot.
jgh85Ag
AG
And don't forget the garnish crap in kcbs contests. Most Texas competitions don't allow garnish. (IBCA rules)
aggiebq03+
agcrock2005 said:

aggiebq03+ said:

Because they like smoke rings? There are a lot of other reasons that are better than that...like time consuming, it's hot, have to go against what you actually like, etc. I personally want a smoke ring when I'm "smoking" something.

I don't want to do competitions because they care about stuff other than good tasting BBQ.

I just want my food to taste "smokey" when I smoke something. I don't give a **** if a chemical reaction happens that turns some of the outter meat pink or not.
OregonAggie
AG
Smoking a brisket, beef ribs, a chicken, and maybe a pork butt this weekend.

Will definitely update the thread with some pics.
BQ78
AG
Braised Italian Sandwiches on the Komodo
agcrock2005
AG
Quote:

I just want my food to taste "smokey" when I smoke something. I don't give a **** if a chemical reaction happens that turns some of the outter meat pink or not.
Throw some liquid smoke on that ***** and throw it in the oven then!
aggiebq03+
agcrock2005 said:

Quote:

Throw some liquid smoke on that ***** and throw it in the oven then!

I said I wanted it to taste smokey, not like an ash tray.
Seanzy2012
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

After being a judge at the American Royal in KC one year, I'm come to realize that BBQ competitions are a total crapshoot.
Did you have to take a BBQ judge class to do that? I've heard to become a judge you need some sort of certification.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.