Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Crawfish Boil

6,930 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Seersucker Ag 2011
GEA2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Doing a crawfish boil this weekend for wife's birthday.

What's the best combination of ingredients to use?
Can other ingregidents (sausage, corn, potatoes, etc.) cook with the crawfish or separate?
What's the best seasoning to use?

Thanks in advance!
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Here's how I like to do my boils:

1. Wash your crawfish, pulling out any dead or crushed ones that may be inside the sack. Hose down 3-4 times in the cooler, draining each time. Don't "purge" with salt.
2. Fill the pot about halfway with water
3. Add roughly one bag of boil (I prefer Cajun Land) and 2 butter sticks
4. Light burner, wait for water to boil
5. After the water comes to a rapid boil, add any veggies besides potatoes and corn. Boil for 5 minutes. Then add potatoes. Boil for 5 more minutes. Then add corn. 15 total minutes at a rapid boil.
6. Next, add crawfish to the rapidly boiling water, cover with lid, and wait for them to return to a rapid boil.
7. Once they come back to a boil, let them boil for 2 minutes. People will claim that they should boil for 5-10 minutes. I think these people are crazy.
10. After they have boiled for 2 minutes, cut the heat and add 2 bags ice into the pot, mix it around, then and recover the pot
11. Start testing the crawfish after about 20 minutes and let them soak until seasoning is satisfactory.

There are many different ways to boil crawfish. I always do it this way and have great results IMO. Good luck!

Edit: I like to cook the sausage separately (grill or oven) so it doesn't grease up the pot. As far as other vegetables, onions and garlic are a must and sometimes mushroom, artichokes, or brussel sprouts.
GEA2007
AG
Thanks so much! What's your general rule of thumb for how many pounds per person?
docaggie
AG
Back when in lived in NOLA, I used to cut garlic in half and tossed it in too. When done, you could take individual cloves and smear them on bread. Or, as some of my friends did, just eat them whole.
I always found that the larger potatoes didn't cook thoroughly, so if they were a bit on the big side I'd pre boil them for a bit in a different pot.

Friend of mine had this wonderful dilute buttery stuff he'd sprinkle on the crawfish once spread out on the table. Awesome stuff.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Buck Compton
AG
GEA2007 said:

Thanks so much! What's your general rule of thumb for how many pounds per person?
Are these people down home crawfish eaters or newbies?

Also, my vegetable mix goes in a mesh bag and is lemons, limes, mushrooms, onions, garlic, shallots, celery, radishes. Sausage never goes in the pot, too much grease. Earlier poster nailed it on potatoes/corn order.
Potcake
AG
We pokea fork in potatoes a couple of times and potaoes go in first.
ksp
GEA2007 said:

People will say 3 lbs per person, but in reality, it is about 1.5 -2 lbs per person.
62strat
AG
Highly dependent on the crowd and if there is anything else. Experienced crawfish eaters and only crawfish you could be pushing 5-7 lb per person. Newbs and other food (shrimp or some grilled food) then 1-2 lbs per person should be fine.
Garrelli 5000
AG
62strat said:

Highly dependent on the crowd and if there is anything else. Experienced crawfish eaters and only crawfish you could be pushing 5-7 lb per person. Newbs and other food (shrimp or some grilled food) then 1-2 lbs per person should be fine.
This is a pretty good assessment. If I'm focusing on crawfish and skip the sides, I can easily put down 5 - 7 pounds in an evening. Typically it's 2 or 3 lbs, drink beer and mingle, repeat.

My friends that boil the best have 2 pots. The boil pot that has little if any seasoning, then the soak pot. I can't say how long they boil (don't pay attention), but the soak pot is kept at 150 degrees. The bugs sit in this for about 20 minutes. The soak pot has all of the spice. Any more than 150 degrees and they keep cooking, resulting in tough crawfish that are tougher to peel.

Toss a stick of butter and more seasoning into the cooler that is used to house the cooked bugs while people scoop.
62strat
AG
Crawfish is about 15% yield. That's a pound of meat per 7lbs of crawfish, so that is in the realm of many people.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Options for lower sodium boils? I'd prefer to not blowup like a puffer fish after eating bugs. BP tends to sky rocket as well.
62strat
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Options for lower sodium boils? I'd prefer to not blowup like a puffer fish after eating bugs. BP tends to sky rocket as well.
Try using less salt.
AlaskanAg99
AG
I've never done my own boil, from what I see people use its all pre packaged seasonings. Wasn't sure if there's a lower sodium option.
62strat
AG
Zatarains crab boil (and maybe others) don't have salt. The end user adds salt, so add how ever much or little you want.
62strat
AG
Blurb from website

"This is the original Zatarain's Crab & Shrimp Boil with mustard seed, coriander seed, cayenne pepper, bay leaves, dill seed, and allspice. One bag plus salt to taste perfectly seasons up to 4 pounds of crawfish and shrimp or up to 1 dozen crabs. This is the secret ingredient in many a seafood recipe."

It's been a while, but I distinctly remember my dad having a few of those round containers of morton's salt to throw in the boil.

I see zatarain's crab boil "complete" has salt in it, so maybe stay away from that one so you can control the salt. All you need is plain crab boil, and this concentrated stuff seems my dad always used as well:
https://www.mccormick.com/zatarains/products/spices-and-seasonings/seafood-boils/concentrated-shrimp-and-crab-boil
AlaskanAg99
AG
Cool. Thanks, I need to boil my own to work on salt levels. The boil I was at Sunday had a 1 gallon jug of Zatarans liquid spice, I didn't see any Morton salt containers so I figured it was a pretty mix. I arrived after they were done cooking.
Seanzy2012
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

Here's how I like to do my boils:

1. Wash your crawfish, pulling out any dead or crushed ones that may be inside the sack. Hose down 3-4 times in the cooler, draining each time. Don't "purge" with salt.
2. Fill the pot about halfway with water
3. Add roughly one bag of boil (I prefer Cajun Land) and 2 butter sticks
4. Light burner, wait for water to boil
5. After the water comes to a rapid boil, add any veggies besides potatoes and corn. Boil for 5 minutes. Then add potatoes. Boil for 5 more minutes. Then add corn. 15 total minutes at a rapid boil.
6. Next, add crawfish to the rapidly boiling water, cover with lid, and wait for them to return to a rapid boil.
7. Once they come back to a boil, let them boil for 2 minutes. People will claim that they should boil for 5-10 minutes. I think these people are crazy.
10. After they have boiled for 2 minutes, cut the heat and add 2 bags ice into the pot, mix it around, then and recover the pot
11. Start testing the crawfish after about 20 minutes and let them soak until seasoning is satisfactory.

There are many different ways to boil crawfish. I always do it this way and have great results IMO. Good luck!

Edit: I like to cook the sausage separately (grill or oven) so it doesn't grease up the pot. As far as other vegetables, onions and garlic are a must and sometimes mushroom, artichokes, or brussel sprouts.

You and I are probably related because your timing is almost dead on with how I do it but....the ice man. I do not ice them and I don't understand why people do this.

You get them out when they are steamy and let them soak in the coolers (I usually line them with foil, this probably does nothing, but I started doing it this way so I'll never change. Plus I have a mental picture of the foil somehow helping trap the heat.)

Then I add them in layers, barely sprinkling a little bit of left over boil on each layer (two person job, usually kids can help with that). Shake the coolers a little, make sure they are air tight.

The longer the soak the spicier will they will be. This is one of the crucial things that is often overlooked and the most important part IMO.

Open the cooler for some red hot crawfish but quickly shut it and you can eat them hot for hours upon hours. It's ok to get creative with the veggies. My go to is: corn, potatoes, and mushrooms, but will be trying asparagus.

Chop up a lot of 2 full onions, 3 lemons, 1 garlic clove, add a little bit of cayenne and dump it in there first thing and let it boil. If you have a laundry sack of some sort you can use this like a tea bag for a second batch, otherwise double up on the veggies seasoning above.

Seriously though. The timing posted above is dead on. Follow that to the T. Not a minute less (it is ok if you go a couple minutes over but not much more).

Remember to waiting for the (I call it Rolling boil) raging boil and THEN start the timer. Remember to wait for the boil before timing on both the veggies and the crawfish.

The purge is important but don't add salt (this is a myth) it'll just kill a few but does nothing.

If you are wondering how to do it mild for children or old folks...I'm sorry I can't help you. Cook hot dogs for them.

Enjoy.

Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
I have zero issues with your process. I've just always done ice. The logic there is that icing them immediately after two minutes completely stops them from boiling. If you cut the heat but they continue to boil or stay too hot, they'll continue to cook to the point of being slightly overcooked.

Is this logic sound? I have no idea. I'm just a liberal arts major.
Seanzy2012
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

I have zero issues with your process. I've just always done ice. The logic there is that icing them immediately after two minutes completely stops them from boiling. If you cut the heat but they continue to boil or stay too hot, they'll continue to cook to the point of being slightly overcooked.

Is this logic sound? I have no idea. I'm just a liberal arts major.
I usually shut off the heat and get them into the coolers as quick as possible. If they coolers are air tight you can eat them hot for hours.

If you are letting them stay in the pot for a few minutes them I suppose that might make sense. Otherwise, I'd skip that altogether and get those mudbugs soaking in that spicy steam. Longer the soak the spicier the crawfish.

I feel you on the process though. Once you've established something that works...it's almost impossible to not do it that way. Like you said, different ways of doing it.
Watchful Ag
AG
Planning on buying one sack tomorrow. How much crawfish should I add once I get the boil correct?
62strat
AG
Watchful Ag said:

Planning on buying one sack tomorrow. How much crawfish should I add once I get the boil correct?
This is 100% dependent on the size of your pot.
Watchful Ag
AG
No idea, but here's a picture to help w/ best guess

Buck Compton
AG
That looks like an 80 qt pot. You can fit the whole sack in there.
62strat
AG
divide your qt by 2, that's how many pounds.

ex. 60qt can do 30 lbs.
Seanzy2012
AG
How'd they turn out?
Watchful Ag
AG
Great! I could've let the crawfish soak a little longer, but I had a lot of people over who've never eaten crawfish before so I didn't want to scare them off with everything being too spicy.

The vegetables were perfect. Followed the 15 minute time table above. Everyone had a great time!
Seanzy2012
AG
Good deal.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Watchful Ag said:

Great! I could've let the crawfish soak a little longer, but I had a lot of people over who've never eaten crawfish before so I didn't want to scare them off with everything being too spicy.

The vegetables were perfect. Followed the 15 minute time table above. Everyone had a great time!
Good to hear! Now you'll want to have a boil every weekend.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.