Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

'garbage bread' aka stromboli

7,425 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by SACR
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

The NCAA Tournament is the perfect time to make this snack.

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef

1/2 lb of bacon

1 cup chopped onions

1 tblsp steak seasoning

shredded mozzarella cheese

shredded cheddar cheese

1 package of pizza dough

Cut up the bacon into small pieces, and cook on a skillet. Once the bacon is done, put it aside in a bowl, and then put in the ground beef. (Once the bacon is done, you can then saute the onions.) Once the ground beef was cooked, add the bacon back in, toss in the steak seasoning, mixed it up, and throw in the shredded mozzarella cheese. Mixed it all up, causing the cheese to melt, then put it aside in a bowl.

Rolled out the pizza dough on a sheet, then put the 'garbage' mixture on it. Covered it with shredded cheddar cheese and more mozzarella. Rolled up the dough like a big jelly roll, and closed in the sides.

Baked it in the oven at 425 for 20 minutes.

Video says to use 1 lb of bacon, but 1/2 lb worked just fine for me. I also do not care for a mayo/ketchup dipping sauce, so don't use that when I make it.
'03ag
Quote:

Video says to use 1 lb of bacon, but 1/2 lb worked just fine for me.
you shut your ***** mouth right now.
Icecream_Ag
S
Quote:

Video says to use 1 lb of bacon, but 1/2 lb worked just fine for me. I also do not care for a mayo/ketchup dipping sauce, so don't use that when I make it.
you used less bacon...are you even human???
biobioprof
Never heard Stromboli called garbage bread before.

Wikipedia on the name
Quote:

Romano's Italian Restaurant & Pizzeria claims to have first used the name in 1950 in Essington, Pennsylvania, just outside Philadelphia, courtesy of Nazzareno Romano. The pizzeria owner had experimented with "pizza imbottito", or "stuffed pizza", and added ham, cotechino salami, cheese and peppers into a pocket of bread dough.(3) His future brother-in-law suggested he name it after the recently released movie Stromboli, notorious for an off-screen affair between married actress, Ingrid Bergman, and married director, Roberto Rossellini, resulting in a love child.(2)

In 1954, Mike Aquino of Mike's Burger Royal in Spokane, Washington says he also named the sandwich after the same movie.(4) Aquino's version included capicola ham and provolone cheese covered in an Italian chili sauce on a French bread roll.(3)
The movie is named for a volcanic island.
AggieOO
Drop the onions and change the ground beef to sausage and you have a winner.
SACR
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Quote:

you used less bacon...are you even human???

I made one today with just ground beef, steak seasoning, peppers, and mozzarella, excluding the bacon totally.

It's anarchy in the kitchen over here!
SACR
AG
AggieOO said:

Drop the onions and change the ground beef to sausage and you have a winner.
I made a second one with ground pork, and people liked it better than the ground beef. Go figure.

I would also recommend throwing a little garlic powder on the top of the bread after you roll it, gives it a little extra seasoning.
JYDog90
AG
I'm gonna do this.
Max Power
AG
Instead of Stromboli, why not a calzone?
chipotle
So if it's flat...it's a Pizza. Folded over, a calzone. Rolled like a burrito...a Stromboli. Oh those wacky Italians.

And then you have Mexicans with their tostadas, tacos and burritos. The world is a crazy place.
ww
AG
Why you no make homemade dough?
Vernada
AG
I used to this in college - except instead of bacon, beef, and onions I just filled the dough with a package of pepperoni.
SACR
AG
chipotle said:

So if it's flat...it's a Pizza. Folded over, a calzone. Rolled like a burrito...a Stromboli. Oh those wacky Italians.

And then you have Mexicans with their tostadas, tacos and burritos. The world is a crazy place.
Technically speaking, difference between calzone and stromboli are the fillings, and that calzones have a sauce used inside and outside.

Calzone is legit Italian, stromboli is American-Italian.

SACR
AG
williamwolf114 said:

Why you no make homemade dough?
I often do, this is just me being lazy.
chipotle
SACR said:

chipotle said:

Technically speaking, difference between calzone and stromboli are the fillings, and that calzones have a sauce used inside and outside.

Calzone is legit Italian, stromboli is American-Italian.

Calzpwn3d
CyAg
AG
Quote:

I used to this in college - except instead of bacon, beef, and onions I just filled the dough with a package of pepperoni.
I can see doing this... pepperoni, Genoa salami, mozz and provolone. Maybe some sun dried tomatoes as well.
SACR
AG

Made another one of these last night.

Ground pork, salt and pepper, sauteed bell pepper and onions, mozzarella cheese, and mixed in some tomato sauce

Turned out great, tasted even better this afternoon as leftovers because the spices had a chance to meld in the tomato sauce.
CyAg
AG
Well... that was really good. Rolled out the pizza dough and brushed it with HEB sunflower oil with garlic and herb. Topped that with sliced Genoa salami, mozz, pepperoni and provolone. Rolled it up and sealed all the edges. Brushed some more of the garlic and herb oil on the top of the roll, sprinkled on some kosher salt and cracked black pepper.

Threw it on a lower rack in the oven that was pre-heated to 425 and let it go for 25 minutes. It looked done but I turned the oven off and let it sit for another 5 minutes anyway just to make sure. Took it out of the oven, let it sit for another five minutes and started slicing.

I might sprinkle some red pepper flakes inside the roll the next time I make it but I will make it again!
SACR
AG

Here is one with roast beef, peppers, onions, mushrooms, and provolone

coppag92
AG
Makes me want some DoubleDaves
SACR
AG
Because of that pic, I just researched garlic spinach stromboli.
CyAg
AG
TTT
SACR
AG
Memories.....

A day seldom goes by where I don't make pizza dough now. I made some early this morning.
---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
AlaskanAg99
AG
What's your dough recipe?

Plan to make pizza at home for the super bowl.
aTm '99
SACR
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

What's your dough recipe?

Plan to make pizza at home for the super bowl.
3 cups of flour, either AP or bread flour

1/2 teaspoon of yeast

1/2 tsp of sugar

pinch of salt

1.25 cups of warm water

If using a mixer, pour all dry ingredients into bowl, mix a little to distribute, then pour in water, mix until a dough forms and no flour sticks to the side, about 1 minute. Let dough ball rest for about 15-20 minutes, then take out of bowl, shape it into a ball by gently folding it onto itself, kneading it, for 30 seconds to a minute. Take dough ball and coat with a tablespoon of cooking oil or olive oil, then either place it in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap, or place it in a gallon plastic bag to rise. Let rise for 2-3 hours until double in size, then it is ready to use. If you don't plan on using it immediately, put it in the fridge, it keeps up to 7 days.

If doing by hand, pour warm water into bowl, then yeast, stir with a spoon until it dissolves, then sugar, stir, then pinch of salt, stir, then incorporate flour and mix and mix until a dough forms and all flour is used and none is sticking to the sides. Take dough and knead in your hands until it forms a nice tacky consistency, about 1-3 minutes, and shape it into a ball. Let rest for 15 minutes in bowl. Take dough ball out and fold over onto itself again into a ball shape, it should have the desired consistency you want now. Top with a tablespoon or cooking or olive oil, then place in a covered bowl or gallon plastic bag and allow to rise for 2-3 hours.

If using a mixer, the 15-20 minute rest is not mandatory, but is recommended. If you're doing it by hand, it is mandatory. It means less kneading when doing it by hand. If you're using a mixer, you can just let the mixer knead the dough for an extra 5 minutes if you want to avoid that step.

It's enough dough to make one extra large pizza, or two mediums.

---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.