Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Completely lean brisket

2,792 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Mule_lx
BQ78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can you have success smoking a brisket with almost no fat on it, i.e. not dry it out?
Sooner Born
Yes. Cook it to about 165 internal temp and then wrap it until done.

You might also consider doing a beef broth injection too
chipotle
I did the 72 hour sous vide thing a few times. Comes out ight. Good enough for lean which I don't like anyway.
Max Power
AG
Agree on sous vide, if its really lean I don't see how it wont dry out. At least if you sous vide any lost moisture stays in the bag to baste the meat. Any pics? Do you have less than 1/4" of fat covering it? Other option if its that lean is to go crockpot. I know its blasphemy in Texas but if you put lean brisket in a crockpot with a good sauce you can turn out some decent sandwiches.
jgh85Ag
AG
Nothing wrong with cooking brisket in the oven, crock pot, etc as a rule. It just bugs me when recipes call it bbq by simply adding bbq sauce to the equation.
aggiebq03+
Depending on where your heat source is it may not make a difference if all the fat is removed. The melting fat doesn't do anything to keep the inside moist, it just acts as an insulator. If your heat source is directly above or below the meat this probably matters. If it's offset or you are well protected by diverted between the heat source and meat I don't see that it would make much difference.

The only reason I keep a thin layer of fat on the brisket is it tastes great once rendered down. So I'd be more concerned about the final flavor with the fat trimmed off than how dry it might turn out. What keeps brisket internally moist is the connective tissues breaking down. Try undercooking a brisket to about 180F internal and you'll see why I mean, at that temp it's all dry inside. But not because of the outter fat layer.
Duncan Idaho
BQ78
AG
Max:

Fat is probably less than an eighth of an inch. Butcher really trimmed this sucker. It tastes great but is really dried out so it looks like it is going to become chopped beef sandwiches with Rudy's sauce. Lesson learned no lean briskets and don't let the wife pick them up. She always saw me trimming them up some so she thought she was doing me a favor.
Duncan Idaho
why would you buy a trimmed brisket?

Sooner Born
Duncan Idaho said:

why would you buy a trimmed brisket?

Because you send your spouse to buy your meat. OP definitely took his wife's last name when they got married.
agcrock2005
AG
BQ78 said:

Can you have success smoking a brisket with almost no fat on it, i.e. not dry it out?
When we do competitions we separate point from flat and trim both to where there's nearly no fat left. If you buy prime/choice then the marbling in the brisket is still pretty fatty so even a flat with no fat on it can still be very moist if cooked properly. We inject ours too which helps.
BQ78
AG
Mule_lx
AG
I agree. Braise it. It'll turn out great.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.