Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Never had a smooth Scotch

1,832 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by He Gotta Touchdown!
Premium
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Until just now. We usually stick to wine and beer. I used to be into mid level Scotch (or at least I gave it a good try several years ago).

Just picked up an 18 year Glenfiddich Small Batch Reseve. Do yourself a favor if you're getting into Scotch and pick on of these up. It's a bit pricy at $125 but I've paid $80 for Scotch that burn the throat - it's worth the extra $45 just so you know not all Scotch is a challenge to drink. From here I imagine I can try some lower levels and have a bar for comparison.

Even the wife noted how smooth it was and she absolutely hates whiskey and previous Scotches I brought home.

Cheers!
Gator2_01
AG
If you want smooth vs interesting scotches stick to the highland varieties. Most plentiful is probably Glenmorangie.
OCEN99
AG
https://scotchgit.bitbucket.io/
aggiebq03+
If you want smooth stick to Highlands and Speyside, avoid the islands. This is painting a broad brush, but will narrow it down.

I'd recommend you try:
Balvenie, 15yr single cask if you can find.
Glendronach, similar to Macallan but I like this much more. I had a single cask 18yo I bought is Scotland that's the best spirit I've ever had. But the 12yo is good.
Aberlour
Oban 14

When you want to try a bit more peat you can try Highland Park 12 without breaking the bank. It's a nice middle of the road for me before hitting the more peat monster scotches.

wadd96
AG
I'll stick to bourbon and Irish...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
07ag
AG
try some aberlour a'bunadh
kithas
AG
The Glenmorangie nectar d'or is some of the smoothest I've had.
Also, the rum cask whiskies tend to be smoother as well - the Balvenie or Benriach (for a peaty version) will not disappoint in taste or budget. They're unique to me because they taste like a usual whisky but practically smell like an awesome rum.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I'd rather have 3 fingers of lagavulin or laphroaig. The smooth stuff is for people that don't like scotch! Kidding mostly, I like the smooth stuff too, but am addicted to my scotch tasting like I'm drinking a burning ash tray of delicious peat.
kithas
AG
I agree. I tend to drink the peaty stuff in the colder months. Kind of goes in phases for me.
He Gotta Touchdown!
AG
Dude for $30 try Glenmorangie.

One of the smoother I've had.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.