Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Brandy

3,053 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JSKolache
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I am coming off my self imposed alcohol ban. I couldn't drink for about a year due to a medication and the last few months I just didn't partake. I still can't/don't anticipate drinking much so going for worthwhile alcohols.

Several of the books I have read mention drinking a lot of Whiskey and Brandy.

So I'm curious about Brandy. I haven't ever known anyone that drank Brandy and it seems like it would be more palatable to drink straight than Whiskey. And something to drink every now and then could be nice?

Anyhow I need an education and some recommendations are welcome.
plowboy1065
S
Heard she's a fine girl
BlueMiles
AG
There may be someone at the Houston Spec's who could give you some suggestions if no one here can. The only brandy I've had was included in some port.
Zemira
AG
plowboy1065 said:

Heard she's a fine girl

This would be funnier if I wasn't a female that likes men.

rilloaggie
AG
Can't decide if it went over your head or if you're just a huge bump on a log...
SECeded
Jack Burton
AG
I drink quite a few brandies to supplement my whiskeys

Personally, I'm an Armagnac and Calvados guy (Armagnac is grape brandy- think Cognac but not from the Cognac region of France and Calvados is an apple brandy from Normandy

If you're not used to drinking straight liquor I'm really not sure that I'd recommend brandies though to be honest. Most of the ones that you will feel comfortable buying "just to try" will be VS grade and will light up your tongue like jet fuel. Try and find a decent price on a VSOP as the extra aging "should" take some of the alcohol edge off.

Do you plan on making cocktails or drinking straight?

If you want some brands to try I'll see if I can get a list together of affordable but tasty libations.
chipotle
plowboy1065
S
chipotle said:

The fact that she's a twin makes it so much better
Zemira
AG
Jack Burton said:

I drink quite a few brandies to supplement my whiskeys

Personally, I'm an Armagnac and Calvados guy (Armagnac is grape brandy- think Cognac but not from the Cognac region of France and Calvados is an apple brandy from Normandy

If you're not used to drinking straight liquor I'm really not sure that I'd recommend brandies though to be honest. Most of the ones that you will feel comfortable buying "just to try" will be VS grade and will light up your tongue like jet fuel. Try and find a decent price on a VSOP as the extra aging "should" take some of the alcohol edge off.

Do you plan on making cocktails or drinking straight?

If you want some brands to try I'll see if I can get a list together of affordable but tasty libations.

What would you recommend instead of Brandy?

I guess it's this romantic notion in my head that everyone in a book has a glass of Brandy so it intrigued me.

I would be drinking it straight most likely. I'm just not well versed in the drinking department, much less anything remotely expensive.

In college I drank rum and coke. I drank and sampled a bunch of wine in my 20s or margaritas but nothing much recently. I figure if I'm going to take up alcohol again I might as well be a little adventureous right? I am also a bit older now so I have a need to see what might be more appropriate for a 30 something.
Post removed:
by user
Zemira
AG
jayelbee said:

Zemira said:

I am also a bit older now so I have a need to see what might be more appropriate for a 30 something.

Based on my wife's friends that fit this demo, you should consider Bud Light Mangoritas

Yuck! I don't like beer but if I am forced to drink it my standards are definitely higher.
Jack Burton
AG
I by no means wanted to dissuade you from at least trying some brandies- I just wanted to let you know that in my experience brandy is not something your just jump into. For people just starting to drink liquor straight (making a gross generalization/assumption here) I normally recommend that you stay on the lower end of proofing. Try and stay around 80proof (40%ABV) and I don't think it will overwhelm your taste buds- if it does add water until you don't feel like your mouth is being murdered.

That being said here are some recommendations I have. If you could tell me what flavor preferences you have I can probably more narrowly tailor them (i.e. Sweet, bitter, herbal, vanilla, spice, smoke, etc)

Brandy
Armagnac de Montal
-(I think you can get the VS in 750ml for about 25-30 and it should have 2 tester bottles of the older stuff.) For a VS it is sweet and smooth
Duque de Alba (Spanish Brandy) - more of a fruit forward sweet brandy with a little bit of oak.

Port-(not really hard alcohol, but since it is wine fortified with brandy I'm putting it in. Also- i fricking love it)
Daw's Late Bottle Vintage
Quinta das Carvalhas Tawny Port (10 year)

Irish Whiskey- intro level whiskeys
This is a damn hard category for me as it is 100% in my wheelhouse and I only have about 10 different bottles in my arsenal right now.

Jameson Caskmate
The Quiet Man

Liqueurs-
Wild Turkey American Honey (sweet, but dangerous)
Solerno (blood orange liqueur from Sicily)- small tastes at a time ONLY

This may sound silly, but I would highly recommend that you find a good bar and try some classic cocktails. I know you are looking for something to sip on, but most classic cocktails give you a good feel for what alcohols of that type bring to the table while not punishing you for not drinking straight liquor all the time.
Zemira
AG
Thank you for the detailed response.

I'm not opposed to drinking mixed drinks I just kind of stink at mixing drinks so I would need simple recipes.

Yes please on the port, I am a big fan although I have always classified as more of a wine. Doesn't matter it generally has a nice smooth taste from what I have had in the past.

I enjoy sweet but not too sweet. (Sweet wine can find someone else's house to go to). I also enjoy vanilla, honey, nutty even berry flavors in wines so why not other alcohol?

I know I'm being fairly vague but really looking for ideas before I go to Specs and ask for recommendations.

I haven't been to a bar in ages, but that doesn't sound like a bad idea. Will give it a try when I can find someone to drag along with me.
Jack Burton
AG
No worries! I love this sort of thing. I'll get my pondering hat on and try and find some more names for you to try.
Post removed:
by user
BusterAg
AG
Why don't you try some good sipping rums.

Very good rum is some of the best value on the planet in terms of smoothness vs price.

Some Ron Zacapa 23 yo, or maybe some Plantation Gran reserve. Will kind of have some profile as what you did drink, but is like the difference between a Big Mac and a Dry Aged Ribeye.
aggiebq03+
BusterAg said:

Why don't you try some good sipping rums.

Very good rum is some of the best value on the planet in terms of smoothness vs price.

Some Ron Zacapa 23 yo, or maybe some Plantation Gran reserve. Will kind of have some profile as what you did drink, but is like the difference between a Big Mac and a Dry Aged Ribeye.

Rum is a great suggestion to start drinking for someone who wants to try a more quality liquor straight or on the rocks. This is how I got into it and now I like rum, whiskey, whisky, and tequila. Have tried some good brandies but just care for other stuff more.

There is a good thread already on rum, but I'd recommend:
Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva (dark green bottle)
Zacapa 23 (not a true 23yo now as it's a solera mix), Zafra 21yo
Dos Maderas PX 5+5
Pyrat XO (kind of orange flavored, interesting both straight or in rum and coke)

I'd also say maybe try a whisky like Glenmorange Nectar de Or. you may find you like some scotches, and this should be available at lots of nicer bars or restaurants.

MikesFamousJava
AG
A few recommendations for someone wanting to try brandy/Cognac:
Pierre Ferrand Cognac -Grande Champagne
Hardy VSOP Cognac

And now for something completely different...
Hochstadter's rock and rye (it's like a cocktail in a bottle)
bierweisse
Zemira
AG
Going to try to pick up 1-2 of these this afternoon so I can numb myself before reading the HUD crap.

Let you know what I think.
JSKolache
AG
Bumping for interest. It's cold season again, so I switched back to brandy. And finally upped the ante from $15 E&J VSOP to actual cognacs and armagnacs. Total Wine has a good stash.

I'm now 5 bottles in, so figured I'd see who has good recs on $30-$50 bottles? Bring it. TIA.....
AgEng06
AG
What 5 bottles have you tried, and what did you think?
HTownAg98
I got a half bottle of Berneroy Calvados XO last weekend. I think it was $18 at Total Wine. On the nose, there's a lot of almond, honey, and apple cider. The palate has a lot of dried apple, with some vanilla, ginger, and some good heat. I'm a fan, and it's another good replacement for the insanity that is bourbon right now.
JSKolache
AG
AgEng06 said:

What 5 bottles have you tried, and what did you think?
Chabot VS arm - very smooth, it has a butterscotch thing going on that I really like
Duffau Bas Arm - would get again
Domaines VSOP - smooth, prolly pass in the future
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.