Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sheet Pans?

1,465 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TennAg
Vernada
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need a few new sheet pans. Main use will be for roasting vegetables, cooking frozen foods, maybe a few other things.

Is this a throw away item where you just get the cheapest available? Or are there good quality ones that are worth having?

Is aluminum ok? Non-stick coated? Dishwasher safe?

Thanks.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
USA Pans or Gold Touch are what we have and we love them. Gold Touch are from Williams Sonoma so you are paying a premium but they are pretty quality for what we use them for (got most of them as a gift or on special). Obviously we arent baking every day so i cant vouch for extreme durability, but they have all lasted much much longer than the cheapo stuff i've bought elsewhere.
superunknown
AG
I like the house brand at Ace Mart.
K2T2
Don't buy cheapo thin sheet pans, they'll warp, stuff will crust onto them, and a lot of times they're not standard sheet sizes. Get the nice (and actually not really expensive) heavy ones. I have Chicago Metallic and similar Nordicware thick, commercial quality sheet pans. I pair them with silicone baking mats (or parchment if I've been lazy about washing), and they are some of my biggest kitchen workhorses. I use them almost every day, not to mention I'm a big baker, so they also get tons of cookie and sheet cake use.

Aluminum or aluminized steel is good. It's just some sheets of metal, so there's really nothing to futz about or mess up with them, and they're dishwasher safe. I'd recommend against nonstick sheet pans - they're kinda fussy, and a lot of times nonstick pans are darker and require different baking times, or have weird textures on their surface. I was using a half sheet and a quarter sheet for a couple of years, and decided to double up this winter and got another set of commercial grade half and quarter for about $35 on Amazon. Pretty sure they'll last me until I decide I don't like sheet pans anymore.

Edit: TLDR: Don't buy super cheapo pans, commercial grade aluminum pans are already inexpensive, high quality, and low maintenance.

Edit: link is dumb x a zillion.
biobioprof
Regarding nonstick:

Back when I was in grad school, we were entertaining some friends and had used some nonstick sheet pans to bake something (I forget what). While the rest of us were having a post-dinner conversation in the living room, one guest's spouse decided to help out by doing the dishes... and scrubbed off the nonstick coating.
Max Power
AG
We have half sheets and quarter sheets from Nordic Ware and they've been great. They're not nonstick but all you need is either nonstick foil or a silicone mat and you're good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Natural-Aluminum-Commercial/dp/B000G0KJG4/ref=sr_1_5?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1487693205&sr=1-5&keywords=sheet+pan

Anything real messy just get some disposable aluminum pans at Costo, or if you just don't want to do dishes.
Vernada
AG
Thanks. I was planning on picking up the Noridic Wear Half Sheet (2 for $20) but happened to pass an Ace at lunch. Right at the front they had a special going on their Half Sheets for $3.98 each. So I picked up two of those instead.

They felt nice and heavy so hopefully they'll work.
superunknown
AG
I've had some of mine for 5+ years and they are still in great shape. Would be better if i treated them better but they're so cheap i don't really care.
momlaw
AG
Cooks Illustrated tested and Nordic was their most recommended product.
ww
AG
We have two sets now (1 set a few years older) from Sam's, but don't recall the brand. We really like them because the rim is sturdy, so they don't warp or flex. Other than that feature, I really don't care, we usually cover with foil for easier cleanup anyways.
Sazerac
AG
Doughmakers for all sheets/pans if price isn't a concern
Duncan Idaho
Strangely, My favorite sheet pans came from world market.

Sturdy, easy to clean, and under $10.

The only problem is they are dark. So that can be a problem with some items
lunchbox
williamwolf114 said:

We have two sets now (1 set a few years older) from Sam's, but don't recall the brand. We really like them because the rim is sturdy, so they don't warp or flex. Other than that feature, I really don't care, we usually cover with foil for easier cleanup anyways.
+1 for Sam's. The 2-pack we got 5 years ago for $11 is still going strong. We use parchment/foil almost exclusively depending on what is cooking.
TennAg
Costco has some excellent tramontina pans at a great price. I
love mine, super sturdy too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.