Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pressure Cooker Recipe Ideas

5,867 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Eliminatus
ArlingtonAg2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife just got a pressure cooker. We've never used one before. Any good recipe ideas to get us started?
NColoradoAG
French dips, Carnitas, Carne Guisada, 15 bean soup, Short Ribs, Korean style baby back ribs.

Done all these in the last couple months in an instant pot and they've been great.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Look up serious eats pressure cooker French onion soup. My wife made it a few weeks ago and it was the best I've ever had.
NATE AG03
AG
I would second Carnitas. I made some last night in the Instant Pot using the skinnytaste version with a few tweaks, including cutting up the pork instead of cooking whole. They were really good.
bmc13
AG
BEaggie08
AG
I made carne guisada in the Instant Pot last night. Bought the seasoned, prepackaged carne guisada from HEB. Browned it using the saute function, then added about a cup of beef broth, some cumin, and fajita seasoning. Used the stew setting (high pressure for 35 minutes) and allowed about 15 minutes of natural release before manually releasing the rest. Then turned the saute function on and slowly added flour to thicken the gravy.

Prepared some seasoned white rice in the rice cooker while the carne was cooking. Served the carne guisada over the rice for a simple, delicious meal. It was my first time making carne guisada and it was outstanding. Better than I've had at most restaurants and easily as good as I've had at the rest.
Out in Left Field
AG
I just got a stove top pressure cooker (Presto 8 qt). That thing sure made my gf nervous while it was getting up to pressure (fify protected).

Made the Serious Eats pork chili verde and it was delicious. Unfortunately I couldnt find any hatch chilis, so had to use poblanos and others.

I'll have to try the French onion soup, looks good. Also want to try a black bean soup and a Zoe's Kitchen white bean copy-cat.

Any other good suggestions out there.
beanbean
Nothing groundbreaking here, but I bought an instant pot back in January and used it a couple of times and then put it in the cabinet and pretty much forgot about it. Decided to make some stir fry for dinner tonight so I bought a bag of short grain brown rice and pulled out the instant pot to cook the rice. Turned out absolutely perfect! In my old rice cooker, brown rice never really turned out right so I've always stayed away from it. Stupid me has had this instant pot in the cabinet for months and not using it.

Superdave1993
AG
The family likes this one, and it is easy.

http://www.food.com/recipe/pork-roast-divine-52300

dummble
AG
"Serious Eats pork chili verde"

I made this today, it came out awesome
hbc07
AG
dummble said:

"Serious Eats pork chili verde"

I made this today, it came out awesome
And it turns out alright even without any starting liquid? I trust Kenji, it's just hard to imagine.
Eliminatus
AG
Just got an instant pot today. Made a batch of basmati.

Perfect.

Excited to try out some stuff. This may be the key to finally cooking more often for me.
Max Power
AG
Lots of good stuff in here.

http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/pressure%20cooker
dummble
AG
It turns out great. We blistered some of the peppers and veg first before adding them in. And next time I would trim a lot more fat off the pork, or run the liquid through a gravy separator before the second step. Also, in the second step of the recipe, while the pork was out I stuck it under the broiler to crisp up some of the edges before shredding.
I would definitely make this again. It was the last complete dish I made in my kitchen before our house flooded. The weather should be nice and cool before my Kitchen is in a state to make it again.
Eliminatus
AG
Got some steel cut oats done this morning. Came out perfect. Oats and rice are two things I am historically terrible at stovetop.

Loving this thing so far. Think it's time to try an actual meal tonight now that I have learned how to use it.
Eliminatus
AG
Mae my first actual meal tonight.

This one.

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-honey-sesame-chicken/

Stupid good. I was blown away at how easy it was and how damn tasty it turned out. Highly recommend this one.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.