Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What meat thermometer do you use?

2,205 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Vernada
My Dad Earl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've bought a few cheap ones from the grocery store and they never seem to work correctly. Anybody have a brand recommendation? I'm almost tempted to use one of those smart thermometers, but I feel like that's considered cheating.
AggieChemist
AG
I have the lavatools $20 instant read from amazon.com

For smoking I have a dual probe thermoworks system.
jgh85Ag
AG
Thermapen
CrawfordAg
AG
On my 3rd iGrill2 ; the probes short out quite a bit but I usually get a years use out of each with weekly use.
dummble
AG
2nd the lavatools. It's magnetic so it stays on the oven. Very fast reads
Van Buren Boy
AG
Thermapen
bigtruckguy3500
I got the LavaTools Pro Duo. It's pretty fast when reading ice water and boiling water, like ~3-4 seconds, but it's slower than I expected when reading meat and baked stuff. If something is like 160 degrees, it'll get up to 150 in about 3-4 seconds, and then take another second to get up to 155, then another second to get to 158, and another second to get up to 160. So overall it takes about 7-8 seconds to stabilize on actual food. Not sure why the difference between boiling water and food. Perhaps something to do with uneven temperature in the food?
biobioprof
Another for Thermapen

Edit to add: but I don't use a thermometer for meat that often since I got my sous vide setup.
ORAggieFan
I've got the Thermapen Pop. Much cheaper and nearly as good as the regular. Can't imagine any home cook needs the precision difference.
shimmeringshark
AG
Thermapen. Since I've got mine, they introduced the Pop, much cheaper. Lavatools seems to get a nod too.

Edit: I've noticed prices on Thermapen's site is less than Amazon's.
aggiebq03+
I hear people can't wait to get one of these:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977846026/meater-the-first-truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom?ref=BackerClub
plowboy1065
S
Thermapen
agcrock2005
AG
Just got a Thermapen. It's amazing. That being said, I never would have paid that amount of money for what it does. It was on my Amazon wishlist and my mom got it for me for Christmas. I'm sure there are some that work well (not as well however) for a fraction of the cost.
Eliminatus
AG
Thermoworks DOT.

Can't bring myself to pay full price for a thermapen(even though I do want one bad). I can justify the DOT since it also acts as an alarm.
coppag92
AG
jgh85Ag said:

Thermapen
+1
chap
AG
How much difference is there between the thermapen and the thermapop? Website says 2-3 seconds vs. 3-4 seconds. Is that the only difference? Is there some margin of error accuracy difference? There is a huge price difference between the two.
gvine07
AG
I use a 2 probe maverick thermometer for long cooks and Thermapen for everything else
Vernada
AG
This is the thermoworks pen I use.

It's stellar for the kitchen and grill.

Super-Fast Pocket Thermometer (RT600C)

...and a steal at $19!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.