Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

FW Costco (Overton ridge) has 12 cases of TX bourbon.

2,872 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bonfirewillburn
ftworthag02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought fw Ags might want to know.
jsn1986
AG
Anyone have an opinion on the TX bourbon?
AggieChemist
AG
jsn1986 said:

Several, but it will start a fight.
terradactylexpress
jsn1986 said:

Flavoured vodka
'03ag
terradactylexpress said:

jsn1986 said:

Flavoured vodka
You're thinking of TX Blended Whiskey. This is about the new TX Bourbon.
Mathguy64
AG
Bourbons and whiskeys from Texas occupy a significant amount of top shelf space in liquor stores. When you encounter them either look one shelf below or keep walking. It's overpriced by an order of magnitude.

I applaud the distillers for trying. I really do. They have the distilling and chemistry side down as witnessed by the vodkas and gins they are putting out. But the maturation side (time and tasting profile) needed to turn the white dog into bourbon just isn't there.
HTownAg98
With our climate, I think we as a state are better off trying to age rum instead of bourbon.
Mathguy64
AG
Weather and location make for huge variables in the process. Hell, even at rickhouses for a single distiller on the same piece of property, the location within the house matters. Bottom floor versus 7th floor. Inner rick or outer on the wall. Brick or stone construction versus wood and tin skin. Each house has its own honey holes. And the guys in KY have a hundred of more years of data (and family history) at their disposal You cant duplicate that knowledge base.

Harlen Wheatley's little 120 barrel Warehouse X on the BT property is a great experiment. But even that has a ton of variables hes trying to measure. Temp, humidity, light versus dark, wood, open or totally controlled atmosphere.
Duncan Idaho
HTownAg98 said:

With our climate, I think we as a state are better off trying to age rum instead of bourbon.

Yeah it would take a client controlled (not stabilized) environment to get the right amount of heating and cooling for the wood to do its magic
Boat Shoes
AG
Checked at lunch, all sold out.
Post removed:
by user
jgh85Ag
AG
Saw several bottles at the costco in Selma. I passed since I loaded up on Henderson whiskey a few weeks ago.
MooreTrucker
AG
The TX blended is my favorite, especially after being aged in a barrel for 6+ months.

Haven't had their new straight whiskey yet, but anxiously await.
TGoll09
AG
For the $50 or so that the TX Bourbon is running, there are a ton of proven bourbons that I would buy first. It tastes young. I wasn't impressed at all. Maybe in a few years they'll have a better product, but for now I'll pass. Until then, they will probably sell a ton of bourbon, because Texas.
jgh85Ag
AG
I think it was just $32 at costco.
Geriatric Punk
AG
mathguy86 said:

Bourbons and whiskeys from Texas occupy a significant amount of top shelf space in liquor stores. When you encounter them either look one shelf below or keep walking. It's overpriced by an order of magnitude.

I applaud the distillers for trying. I really do. They have the distilling and chemistry side down as witnessed by the vodkas and gins they are putting out. But the maturation side (time and tasting profile) needed to turn the white dog into bourbon just isn't there.

Solid post.
Geriatric Punk
AG
I need to add: had some TX Bourbon tonight. I enjoyed it, but it is definitely overpriced at $50.
bonfirewillburn
AG
mathguy86 said:

And the guys in KY have a hundred of more years of data (and family history) at their disposal You cant duplicate that knowledge base

Yea you are right, why even try?
Mathguy64
AG
Really? Not only did I not say they shouldn't try I actually said I applaud them for trying.
bonfirewillburn
AG
I didn't catch the previous post, sorry, I retract my sarcasm.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.