Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Vacuum Sealer / Food Saver

3,223 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by normaleagle05
TheVarian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking to get one of these bad boys, but am curious about those that have one or have had one.

- wise investment for long term storage?
- Can you marinate and freeze proteins/veggies?
- what kind do you have?
- Pro's
- Con's

Sorry if this had been discussed, new to this portion and after doing some research on this site and others, it seems to be 50/50

Thanks!
Van Buren Boy
AG
Yes. Worth the cost. I think ours is a cuisanart from Macy's
chipotle
Do it
Oso96
AG
Worth the money, but make sure you have a marinating canister to go with it.

We buy lots of meat and veggies in bulk and can separate into individual portions. I twill pay for itself rather quickly.
TheVarian
AG
What is a marinating canister?
aggiemike02
AG
not a single complaint i could come up with.

we got ours from costco and it came with a boat load of bags/rolls.
Max Power
AG
Use it every month. Buy all our meat at Costco then portion it out and freeze it. Also use it when cooking sous vide. No complaints, been using mine for about 4 years now.
BlueMiles
AG
This is a link to what they look like.

http://m.basspro.com/FoodSaver-Marinating-Canister/product/42429/

My mother used to store lettuce in a similar canister that was shaped more like a head of lettuce. She swore it increased the lifespan of the greens. I haven't tried it.

To add to what has been posted, I believe you can also seal Mylar bags and some bags such as those some potato chips come in. (You would want to seal but not vacuum those).

I have also used mine to seal some important documents to protect them from weather. A little different from laminating, as you can open it up if needed.
shimmeringshark
AG
I have a Foodsaver brand. Worth every penny. Great for not only extending life of refrigerated foods, but I can make a fave recipe, portion it and freeze the portions. I never used the marinating canister.

If you decide to sous vide, then a must item.
TheVarian
AG
Sous vide is next in my wants list. My dad made some steaks the other day that put the BGE to shame
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Just searched Amazon for "foodsaver" and found a lot of different models. Any suggestions on which one to go with? Counter space is limited so it would have to be one that could be put away and taken out when necessary.
Oso96
AG
TheVarian said:

What is a marinating canister?
It is an attachment that allows you to marinate on the food saver. Really cool device.

http://www.foodsaver.com/food-storage-bags-and-containers/vacuum-food-containers/vacuum-marinator/foodsaver-gamesaver-quick-marinator/T020-00085-P02.html#gclid=CNn3w4ny-dECFQVbfgodhokImQ&kwid=sitelinks-adid%5E151277715787%40ADL16be621a97021468a88c89f7c291cba9c-kwid%5E10998550x1958388010x56676490-device%5Ec-slid%5E7900382418x1958388010x56676490&start=11
biobioprof
shimmeringshark said:

I have a Foodsaver brand. Worth every penny. Great for not only extending life of refrigerated foods, but I can make a fave recipe, portion it and freeze the portions. I never used the marinating canister.

If you decide to sous vide, then a must item.
Lots of people cook "sous vide" without one, but since the literal meaning is "under vacuum", you can call it a must.
nonag97
Agasaurus Tex said:

Just searched Amazon for "foodsaver" and found a lot of different models. Any suggestions on which one to go with? Counter space is limited so it would have to be one that could be put away and taken out when necessary.
I've had the FoodSaver V2244 for a little over a year and I can vouch that it's worth every penny. I think I use it everyday for everything from cheese and deli meat to resealing chips and cereal. And of course it's great for storing items in the freezer. It takes up very little counter space. I also buy the generic vacuum bags from Amazon at a fraction of the price of the Foodsaver ones, they work the same. This thing has probably saved me hundreds of dollars in food I otherwise would have thrown out for going bad.

Side note, for freezing, I recommend pre-freezing the item in a bowl first. Once it's frozen, put it in a vacuum bag.

fav13andac1)c
AG
I got my food saver from meh.com for $20. They have it on sale every now and again. I use it in conjunction with their mason jar sealer to freeze hops. It has paid for itself already.
AlaskanAg99
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

I got my food saver from meh.com for $20. They have it on sale every now and again. I use it in conjunction with their mason jar sealer to freeze hops. It has paid for itself already.

I use mine for pretty much only hops. Our freezer is 85% hops at this point and my wife is telling me I need to buy an upright freezer to make room. Ok.
fav13andac1)c
AG
At least she isn't telling you to get rid of them! I'd be like yes ma'am right away!
AlaskanAg99
AG
fav13andac1)c said:

At least she isn't telling you to get rid of them! I'd be like yes ma'am right away!

I need to move a 76" wide chest freezer, replace it with a smaller one sitting on my dad's porch, then buy one. It'll happen, just waiting for the guy who bought the big chest freezer to finish his beers so he can move his smaller one. Freezer jenga.
schmellba99
AG
Have had a Food Saver for over 10 years now - far and away the kitchen appliance that gets the most use and has had the best returns, and second isn't even close IMO.

Just the other day I was digging through the deep freeze and came across a backstrap from 2012 that had gotten buried in the back of my deer shelf. Decided to cook it a day or so later, you wouldn't have been able to tell it was 4+ years old. No amount of butcher paper or ziplock bags would have allowed that meat to last that long in the freezer.

Also great to use it for reheating meat - thaw the meat out (still in the bag), then slowly bring it up to a light boil in a pot (boil-n-bag) style. Keeps the meat from drying out or overcooking.
aggiemike02
AG
can you post a link to those amazon bags?
nonag97
aggiemike02 said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GG5I5AK
chipotle
nonag97 said:

aggiemike02 said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GG5I5AK

I bought this as well a year ago. Still have a third of each roll left. And that's all using from food storage and sous vide cooking.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
I'm contemplating buying one of these, but I have a few questions for y'all.

Is it worth it to splash out the extra money for the higher-end models, or will a more basic model (vacuum & seal, accessories, and instant seal functions) just as useful/worth it?

I've found what looks like a good deal on a used Foodsaver V2040 in good condition with a canister, accessory hose, and a package of bags for about $50 (I live overseas and this model new without accessories is over $100). Does anyone have an opinion on this model?
Koko Chingo
AG
Sealing functionally is the same between models. When my old model died a couple of years ago I sent my kid to Target to grab a replacement. They only had a basic model.

The upgraded feature I wish I had back is the roll dispenser and cutter. It is very convenient.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
Thanks for the help! I just pulled the trigger and it came to about $50 including shipping cost, which for Japan seems to be a pretty fantastic price. (I've gotten lucky with some other things on yahoo auctions, too - got a le creuset dutch oven for about $50). My kitchen is fairly small, so I think the models with the integrated cutter would take up too much room.
gigem70
AG
Wife has a Foodsaver and loves it.
htxag09
AG
Overall id agree with you. But if you're using it a lot, such as processing a lot of deer meat, then the cheaper ones can over heat so it's worth it to upgrade.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
I'm a vegetarian, so bulk-processing deer meat shouldn't be an issue. I think it should arrive today! Plenty of time to figure it out before I go on a costco run and get things to stock the freezer.
normaleagle05
AG
schmellba99 said:

Have had a Food Saver for over 10 years now - far and away the kitchen appliance that gets the most use and has had the best returns, and second isn't even close IMO.

Just the other day I was digging through the deep freeze and came across a backstrap from 2012 that had gotten buried in the back of my deer shelf. Decided to cook it a day or so later, you wouldn't have been able to tell it was 4+ years old. No amount of butcher paper or ziplock bags would have allowed that meat to last that long in the freezer.

Also great to use it for reheating meat - thaw the meat out (still in the bag), then slowly bring it up to a light boil in a pot (boil-n-bag) style. Keeps the meat from drying out or overcooking.

OH.....maybe schmelba99 actually doesn't understand that sous vide is not literally BOILING things in a bag.

Nah, I still think its a deep troll.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.