Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Jerk Chicken, because super bowl

7,632 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tamc1956ag
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes you should always keep the skin on chicken headed for the grill. If you marinate this stuff too long it might be hard to keep the skin on, though.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Made it tonight and it was ridiculously good. Wish I would've made more wings however. I must've had some mild habs. I thought I was going to be in for a some real heat by only deseeding two of them, but it was the perfect amount, without being overbearing. Not a fan of chicken, but this was good. Thanks for posting. A good blender made it easier, I just threw everything in whole and it was liquid in less than 30 sec.
Max Power
AG
Have a pork shoulder I was going to roast tomorrow, think I'm going to marinate it in this first.
oklaunion
If you don't use scotch bonnet pepper, it ain't jerk.

AggieChemist
AG
oklaunion said:

Congratulations! You're THAT GUY of the thread!
Slicer97
AG
oklaunion said:

technically, you're supposed to cook over pimento wood as well

since scotch bonnets and pimento wood aren't the easiest things to source, habaneros and mesquite substitute rather nicely
Say Chowdah
AG
I'm going to make a variation of this tonight, seeing as I won't get to marinate it.

It sounds amazing and I will certainly follow up with the marinated version.
RedlineAg08
Been my go-to jerk chicken recipe since I read about it on outdoors long time ago.
Say Chowdah
AG
Ok so I tried it last night.

I am guessing that I misinterpreted the measurements.

Quote:

2 T ginger
1 t whole allspice
4 T soy sauce
I read the "T" to be tablespoons instead of teaspoons and the ginger and allspice were overwhelming.
AggieChemist
AG
T tablespoon
t teaspoon

Recipe is correct. Did you use fresh ginger? I've always used fresh. Can't vouch for any other ginger.
Say Chowdah
AG
Fresh.

It was probably the combination of too much allspice with the ginger together. I like ginger so with the corrected measurements, it will likely balance.

It wasn't bad though. It was really good in fact. Just the overwhelming spice flavor needed toning down.

Thanks for the follow up and the recipe. I will be using it again as I love jerk chicken!
Say Chowdah
AG
For clarification, I didn't know that T = Tablespoon and t = Teaspoon. I've seen it abbreviated at Tsp and tbsp and used a tablespoon of Allspice.
Bruce Almighty
AG
A tablespoon of allspice? Might as well call that allspice chicken.
Btron
AG
So is the OP calling for Tablespoons or Teaspoons? Looking to do this recipe this weekend and would like to know. THX
Bruce Almighty
AG
Btron said:

So is the OP calling for Tablespoons or Teaspoons? Looking to do this recipe this weekend and would like to know. THX
T = tablespoon
t = teaspoon

only allspice is a teaspoon, the rest are tablespoons.
Say Chowdah
AG

Yeah, my bad.
AggieChemist
AG
Say Chowdah said:

For clarification, I didn't know that T = Tablespoon and t = Teaspoon. I've seen it abbreviated at Tsp and tbsp and used a tablespoon of Allspice.
Btron
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Btron said:

T = tablespoon
t = teaspoon

only allspice is a teaspoon, the rest are tablespoons.
Gator2_01
AG
This has been my go-to wing recipe since I pulled it from the OB years ago. Great stuff AC!
tamc1956ag
S
Made it! very tasty...a little warm for some guests...
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.