Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Jerk Chicken, because super bowl

7,620 Views | 53 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tamc1956ag
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This recipe is one I've been making for about 20 years and is famous on the outdoors board.

8 habaneros (seeded or not, your call)
2 sprigs thyme
2 T ginger
1 t whole allspice
4 T soy sauce
1 clove garlic
1 med onion (chopped)
2 green onions (chopped)

Combine all of the above in blender/food processor and blend on hi for 3 minutes or until liquified. Pour over 2-4 lbs chicken (I prefer wings) and marinate overnight in fridge.

Grill the chicken over hot lump charcoal.

If I'm cooking for mixed company, I usually seed all the habs and it has a nice warm finish. If I'm cooking for pepperheads, I'll leave the seeds in up to 4 or 6 of the habs for a good sinus clearing.

I cooked 50 lbs of these wings for an Eggfest in October and I was out by 11 am.
HTownAg98
I've made this before and can attest to its awesomeness.
Furlock Bones
AG
same here. made them multiple times.
beb06
AG
Sounds awesome! Will have to try this soon
chipotle
Well, the jerk chicken store called...
Mule_lx
AG
And they ran out of you
MookieBlaylock
AG
Do sauce at the of the end of the cook too?
beb06
AG
I'm planning to try this for super bowl. Think I'm going to sous vide some chicken breasts and some pork loin chops with the marinade in the bags, then remove after cooking, cut into chunks, put on skewers, re-coat with fresh marinade, and throw on grill to char.
Beckdiesel03
AG
Any thoughts on sides to go with this? Considering doing this for Sunday and don't know what I should do along side them.
AggieChemist
AG
No sauce at end of cook. There is ample flavor.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Grilled pineapple
plantains
Not from jamaica or ever been there but thought pot brownies was too obvious
Agz_2003
AG
Have some chicken marinating in the fridge using this recipe for the first time. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe.
AggieChemist
AG
Agz_2003 said:

Have some chicken marinating in the fridge using this recipe for the first time. Looking forward to trying it tomorrow. Thanks for the recipe.
Bruce Almighty
AG
How hot is this if the seeds are taken out? My wife loves jerk chicken but her max level is about a medium at most hot wing places.
AggieChemist
AG
Mediumish. Should be fine. She can be like my wife does and "ruin" them with some ranch if she has to.
EFE
AG
Have a whole mess of chicken thighs marinating. Going to sous vide then sear and crisp Monday or Tuesday.
FIDO*98*
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

How hot is this if the seeds are taken out? My wife loves jerk chicken but her max level is about a medium at most hot wing places.

I was surprised they weren't hotter the first time I made this recipe. Great balance of flavor and heat.
Boats and Hose
AG
Was gonna try this marinade for today but the wings I bought were rotten. I'll have to try this another day.
Agz_2003
AG
Excellent recipe. Not overly hot but you can definitely taste the habaneros. I made mine without the seeds.
barney94
AG
Made it today. Used thighs. Left seeds in the jap and 1 hab. Good stuff. I could go hotter, but my daughter liked this amount of spice.
Quinn
AG
Sent this recipe to a buddy for his super bowl party. He said it was really good, but too spicy for his midwestern taste buds.
EFE
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Grilled pineapple
plantains
Not from jamaica or ever been there but thought pot brownies was too obvious

Doing this, minus the brownies, plus coconut rice for mine tomorrow night. Also doctored the recipe a bit because I can never leave well enough alone. Will post results and additions if it comes out worth a damn tomorrow.
AggieChemist
AG
Quinn said:

Sent this recipe to a buddy for his super bowl party. He said it was really good, but too spicy for his midwestern taste buds.

I got it from a college professor in Iowa back in the 90s.
Quinn
AG
I guess Iowans like spicy stuff more than Michiganians.
Slicer97
AG
Got good results with AC's recipe (with a slug of rum added) on thighs smoked over mesquite.

Will probably try with wings next time in lieu of saucing them.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Cooked them last night. It was too windy outside, so I had to cook some over the stove and some in the oven. Thought they were good, but would'veobviously been better on the grill.

I thought they could use a little citrus flavor or twang, so I may try adding some lime juice or pineapple juice to the marinade next time. Has anyone done tried adding some sort of citrus to the recipe?
EFE
AG
Added fresh lemon and orange juice(amongst a few other things) to mine, will have results tonite.
EFE
AG

Jerk chicken, coconut rice, and fried plantains

My doctored version of AC's recipe:

8 habaneros (seeded or not, your call)
2 sprigs thyme
2 T ginger *(1-3" stick of fresh ginger cut into coins)
1 t whole allspice
4 T soy sauce
1 clove garlic
1 med onion (chopped)
2 green onions (chopped)
1 bunch cilantro
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tblsps yellow curry
juice from 1 large orange
juice from 1 small lemon

Holy amazeballs Batman
AggieChemist
AG
Did you grill the chicken?

I'm surprised that with all the sugars from the fruit juices and molasses that you didn't have problems with excessive burning.

I'm not a fan of mating fruit with meat, much to the chagrin of my Iowan wife who insists that pork chops must be eaten with applesauce.

And I will add just for reference that my neighbor across the street is Jamaican, and he pronounced the jerk both authentic tasting and delicious. He says that the fruity jerk you get in Jamaica is for the vacationing American hausfraus. He makes his jerk with a dry rub of spices he orders off the internet. He said mine is too much work.

For what that's worth.
EFE
AG
Sous vide for 2hrs, then tossed on the Weber with a good dose of smoking chips for about 5 min a side at 500. My GF doesn't do hot food but managed two thighs through sweat and tears because it was so good.
EFE
AG
Just did pork shoulder carnitas in my version of this, and I think I'm in love.
FtBendTxAg
AG
What's a quick and easy way to make coconut rice?

I'm hoping it's just rice cooked in coconut milk
EFE
AG
Rice, 1cup water, 1 can coconut milk, tblspoon butter/margarine, salt. Cook like normal rice.
bmc13
AG
FtBendTxAg
AG
I've been to two grocery stores and only ground allspice. Don't really feel like going anywhere else. Is this acceptable? I have never cooked with allspice.

Nvm my spice rack had some. Just put some in the fridge to marinate, can't wait to try it. I only deseeded 2 of the 8 habs. Using a combination of thighs and wings and wondering if I should keep the skin on the thighs. I get mixed answers on the web. Not used to cooking chicken as I am not particularly fond of it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.