Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Iced (or cold brew) Coffee Maker

2,510 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Talon2DSO
VaAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was thinking about getting something to make my own iced coffee at home instead of having to go out every time I want it. Can anyone recommend a good one that they have used in the past? Never have bought one before so I am a little confused what to look for.
dummble
AG
I shouldn't be telling you this.... But

buy a hop bag from a home brew store and a 1 gallon jug from walmart.

Step 1 - Pour in 16oz of course ground coffee and then fill with water. Leave over night to 24 hours.
Step 2 - Lift the bag of grounds and let drain.
There is no step 3
aggiemike02
AG
best out there by far. we use this weekly.

Toddy Cold Brew Coffee Maker

Matsui
AG
It is super easy to make at home. You cold brew it over night in the fridge.
NColoradoAG
dummble said:

Step 1 - Pour in 16oz of course ground coffee and then fill with water. Leave over night to 24 hours.
There is no step 3
This. Cheese cloth and a fine mesh strainer works too if you don't have access to hop bags.
n_touch
The Toddy maker is always a good choice. Personally I just use my French press and brew it overnight in the fridge. If you dont order before Monday check out our supply site. I am working to launch it this weekend. www.houstonespressosupply.com.
Max Power
AG
Lots of videos on YouTube on how to brew at home in a mason jar. If you don't have one get a burr grinder, nothing fancy, so you can grind your own beans. I soak a half pound of beans in two bottles of filtered water for 18-24 hours. I also have a porcelain coffee drip I can set above another jar.
aggiebq03+
For cold brew you don't really need a grinder. Most grocery stores have a coffee grinder in the coffee aisle. You use the grounds all at once, so just take a bag of whole beans and grind it back into the bag while at the store. I have a grinder at home, but don't want to mess with changing it from my espresso setting so just grind at the store for cold brew.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
http://www.crema-coffee.com/brewing-guide-iced-coffee/

This is my method,I used to do overnight brews with a Japanese device but that stuff was Rocket Fuel good but it would light you up.
Duncan Idaho
The good thing about iced coffee is that it let's someone experience great coffee at home with no specialized equipment.

No grinder. Like others have said, you use all of the coffee at once, so grinding it at the store is fine.

No kettle. It's cold brew. So water temp isn't an issue.

No scale. Just buy the right amount at the store.

No machines. Just a jar and your normal filter.

Just get the right amount of some good beans, grind them at the store. Throw them in a jar with the right amount of some good water. And put it in the fridge overnight. Pull it out and run it through a filter.
heddleston
AG
Cold brew is also great because there's so many ways to do it. All the aforementioned methods work great. I like to break out my ginormous 48oz French press and put it on the fridge with a 1/2lb of coffee and a liter of water for 18-24 hrs. It makes a thick, viscous liqueury coffee that I really enjoy.
CyAg
AG
I've been cold brewing for iced coffee a couple of years now but without a hop bag. Just ordered one... thanks for the heads up!
'03ag
Wonder what I'm doing wrong because I never get this think syrupy liquid everyone talks about. It never comes out strong for me.

I've let it sit for over 24 hours and then filtered the grounds using a pour over.
n_touch
What ratio are you using when you brew it?
VaAg12
AG
aggiemike02 said:

best out there by far. we use this weekly.

Toddy Cold Brew Coffee Maker

Just to follow up, I bought the Toddy system after the recommendations here and all over the internet. Real easy to use and makes a good cold brew coffee
'03ag
n_touch said:

What ratio are you using when you brew it?
its been a long time but I know once I followed a recipe from Barefoot Contessa. I weighed it and everything.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Also the hyper chiller is nails,brew regular coffee, pour in, wait 1 min, voila
Phat32
AG
I use one of these: Hario Mizudashi Cold Brew Iced Coffee Pot

Affordable and has made about 100 pots of cold brew.
aggiemike02
AG
enjoy!
Talon2DSO
AG
dummble said:

There is no step 3

This. Nothing fancy or expensive is needed. Only time and a container large enough to hold. My wife pours the filtered coffee into a glass carafe for storage in the fridge. Last us about 2-3 days
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.