Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Smoked tri tip

4,397 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Tailgate88
agwarrior
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I went to a little meat market by my house on Monday planning on buying a couple steaks for dinner. I noticed they had tri tip for $4.99/lb. When I asked about it, the owner said it was awesome so I decided to get a couple 2.5 pounders and throw them on the smoker. I trimmed down the fatty side, rubbed a little yellow mustard of it, dusted it with coarse black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, and let it rest to room temperature. I threw it on the pit with post oak at 300 degrees for about 2 hours. Internal temp reached 150 degrees when I pulled it off. All I can say is WOW! It had a smoky flavor like brisket, but with the texture of a top sirloin. I will definitely will be experimenting more with this cut and I highly recommend it for anyone wanting something a little different.
752bro4
AG
Might want to try eating it not well done to fully appreciate it.

I don't smoke mine, just sous vide it then sear in a skillet. Usually 130 for 2 hours then a couple of minutes worth of a sear. Typically only use salt and pepper and garlic, but want to try a Santa Maria style rub soon.
ORAggieFan
Rib with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

I smoke mine 45-60 mins at about 225. Then dear at about 500 to finish it medium rare.
Mathguy64
AG
Tri-tip benefits from a reverse sear and really needs to stay medium rare or rare IMO. I throw mine on the BGE at 200-225 with several big hickory chunks until the internal temp hits 110-115, then pull it while the BGE comes to lava level. That takes about 15 minutes, so the meat gets a good rest. It goes back for just a couple of minutes a side to sear and when I pull it the internal temps are normally 125 or so with a nice crust. Rest again, slice across the grain in thin slices.
schmendeler
AG
i did this sous vide a month or so ago, and finished on the stove. it would have been even better finished on the grill, if it hadn't been raining.
agwarrior
AG
I'll be doing this again very soon. I will definitely take it off the smoke at about 125 degrees and finish on a hot grill.
Mathguy64
AG
Its definitely a fantastic cut The steak flavor is all there and it takes smoke and a rub really well. It goes for $4.499-$4.99/lb at HEB. Sometimes you have to ask for it and when you do the butchers just smile at you. They know you found a honey pot.
HDeathstar
pull it at 125 or 130 degrees, and cut against the grain. Grain turns about half way. Great to eat. I like smoke on mine, so I use a BGE at 300 degrees and toss in some wood chips for smoke. Usually does not take long. If I sear it, I just use a torch to crisp the outside quickly.
Tailgate88
AG
Shhhhhhhh! Don't let the word get out. They might raise the price.
JYDog90
AG
I gotta do this.
austinrb10
AG
Aka California brisket
bigboykin
AG
It has rapidly become one of my favorite things to cook on the grill. Cheap, delicious, and doesn't require and all-day commitment. My family loves it.

[img][[/img]

DonaldFDraper
AG
Damn. Details on how you make it?
sanitariex
AG
That looks amazing. I love the presentation, but even better is the paper plates.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Damn it's 9$ a lb where I can find it in SA

Much cheaper to male brisket
jgw02
AG
Cooked for the first time this past weekend.
Very good! My meat came out at $5 per lb from heb
MD1993
AG
Agreed, one of my favorite meats to cook up. Simple and easy. I use a Canadian steak rub and smoke till med rare.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Anyone try to smoke first low, then sous vide and searing?
RK
AG
may as well throw in a deep-fry step while you're at it....
bigboykin
AG
DonaldFDraper said:

Damn. Details on how you make it?
The bottom pic was one of the first ones I did, and I just grilled direct at 350 or so for maybe 25-30, hence more of a done gradient in that one. Still tasted great.

The other two I did like most have said smoking on a kamado style at 225-250 to 125ish internal, then pulling, cranking the heat to 600, and searing all sides.

Top one got a simple chimichurri (cilantro, garlic, lime, olive oil, vinegar, S&P). Middle got red wine bordelaise-ish sauce and bleu cheese. Bottom is over a kale and quinoa salad with peppers, olives, artichoke hearts, and a basic red wine vinaigrette.

Oh yeah, as to the paper plates... I'm cooking for a family of five. I'm damn sure not doing dishes too.
Philip J Fry
AG
California BBQ
BQ78
AG
To each their own but it smokes up fast, smokes up tasty and is easy to do. Has not failed to impress. Now is it as good as a smoked brisket, no but it is much less expensive and not time consuming to cook. Sort of like a great grilled hamburger versus a grilled steak, one is nicer but they are both great depending upon your mood.
sanitariex
AG
So since this thread started, I've been looking for tri tips every time I go to the store in north Dallas, where can I find it?
FTAco07
AG
Trader Joe's has them both pre-marinated and natural, otherwise you'll probably have to go to a meat market.
beb06
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Anyone try to smoke first low, then sous vide and searing?
Yes, and doing one this way for Super Bowl. Allows you to get a little smoke on it, and then to cook perfectly to your desired temperature.
HTownAg98
HEB will have them, but you typically have to ask for it. If you go today and they don't have them, ask them to order one for you.
sanitariex
AG
I stopped by the Kroger in north garland we shop at for work, they're ordering some for me for next week. Can't wait
Unemployed
AG
HTownAg98 said:

HEB will have them, but you typically have to ask for it. If you go today and they don't have them, ask them to order one for you.
The HEB I go to always have tri-tip out on the display cases.
NoahAg
I didn't know what tri tip was until I saw in the grocery store add for $2.99/lb. So I bought one and used this oven recipe I found online. Oven tri tip It was pretty big; like 5-6lbs.

Followed the recipe pretty close. Salt, pepper (I added garlic b/c I put it on everything). I didn't tie it like the recipe shows. Just 425 until it was medium rare. Maybe an hour or so. Was very good.
Tailgate88
AG
RealTalk said:

HTownAg98 said:

The HEB I go to always have tri-tip out on the display cases.

They have them next to the other roasts at Tower Point.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.