Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Briskets on a primos (egg)

1,976 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Shawdaddy
harleyds2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cooked a prime brisket for the first time on my primes. I placed on the porcelain divider plates. I cooked at 225-250 degrees. It was a 12 lb brisket. I pulled it at 194 degrees which works great on my traditional smoker. It took 3.25 hours. Amazingly fast.
despite being 194 degrees it was undercooked. flavor was good but just not close to being done

FYI I cooked the exact same sized prime brisket on the same day and time on my smoker and it took about 9 hours cooking at 250

Any experience out there on doing briskets on these type grills
Two Down
AG
Done many briskets on varying sizes of BGEs. Never done one that quickly. I have gone anywhere from 225 dF up to 275 dF, and the fastest cook I can recall took just over an hour per lb (did an 8lb'er in just over 9 hrs at 275). That being said, there is definitely variation from brisket to brisket, so probably not impossible.

Most really experienced pitmasters (Franklin, et al) will also say that it is more feel than temperature - cook until it's jiggly.

At 194 dF I would not expect it to be that far from being done, so the only things that seem possible is that A) maybe you pulled a temp from a hot spot in the meat or B) your dome thermo needs a serious recalibration. Otherwise don't really see how an indirect cook could go that fast.

I am sure there are others with more experience that will chime in as well.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah no way a 12 lb Brisket cooked to 194 in 3 hours at 275. Either the meat therm or dome therm was off
harleyds2
AG
I agree with the analysis. However, I used 2 different thermometers and tested in multiple places because I didn't believe it.

It was a thinner brisket but that doesn't explain it.

Cooked 2 briskets at same time using same thermometers and they were done perfectly

jgh85Ag
AG
Irrespective of time, temps, some briskets just come out badly. Just a bad piece of meat.
agcrock2005
AG
harleyds2 said:

It took 3.25 hours. Amazingly fast.
despite being 194 degrees it was undercooked. flavor was good but just not close to being done
It was amazingly fast because it was nowhere near done...right? I've cooked several briskets on my father-in-law's Primo XL. Cook at 225 and takes 8 hours or so. Pull when you can probe the flat fairly easily with fork (don't want it to be completely fall apart already) and let rest for couple hours. Also, I've seen many different pit masters tell you to pull a brisket at a certain temp (lots say 203) but I've never heard of 194. Where did you hear that? That's way low.

PS: I think the smoke ring on the Primo sucks compared to traditional offset.
07fta07
AG
Seems pretty quick. My Pit Barrel Cooker takes about 4-4.5 hours for a 10# before trim and close to 6 hours for a 13-14# before trim. Supposedly the smoker runs around 275-300. I usually pull the briskets at 200-205.
SumAggie
it's been my experience (using Weber Smoky Mountain) that 250 is too hot. I try to keep mine at 200 degrees. ave not had a bad one yet.
EEAg07
AG
Was that using the WSM lid thermometer or a different thermometer placed by the meat? I use the Thermoworks Smoke for actual temp at meat level and it reads 30 to 40 deg hotter than the lid thermometer.
houag80
AG
You should never trust a lid thermometer no matter the brand of cooker. Digital meat probe placed correctly is the only way to go.
harleyds2
AG
I used an additional thermometer for internal temp and it was 25 degrees hotter than lid thermometer
Shawdaddy
AG
I cook briskets on my Primo XL pretty regularly. I've found that a grate temp of 230ish until internal temp goes over 200 AND probes well, and it will turn out great every time.

I usually cook them overnight, throwing it on around 10 or 11, and the are ready some time in the middle of the next morning. Overnight I will set my probe alarm pretty wide (215 - 270) because I like to sleep. So long as it doesn't get crazy hot, or go out, your cook will be ok.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.