Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Keto recipes

3,869 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Capitol Ag
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
anybody want to get a thread going on keto meals and recipes.
AggieChemist
AG
Taco bowls.

I do a half pound of venison taco meat, plus shredded cheddar, a dollop of sour cream if I have it on hand, a big glop of guac, and a few shakes of hot sauce.

I could eat those every day.
La Fours
AG
Keto meals are typically high protein and fat, low carb right? Or is it more than that?

I'm curious what the reason for this. What does this diet do?
Furlock Bones
AG
anything specific in your taco meat spice wise?
schmendeler
AG
bigtruckguy3500
La Fours said:

Keto meals are typically high protein and fat, low carb right? Or is it more than that?

I'm curious what the reason for this. What does this diet do?
If you can keep your carbs under a certain amount per day, after a few days your body (specifically your brain) adapts to burning primarily fat for energy. In the absence of insulin, your fat cells have a hard time taking in and storing excess sugar/fat floating in the blood stream, and your liver/muscles are pretty starved for glycogen, so they take up whatever is floating around and convert it to ketones for energy. Eating a high fat/protein diet can also be very satiating for most people, so it makes it easier to not over eat. In fact, I think there was a study that attempted to overfeed people on either a high carb diet or a high fat diet, and the people on the high carb diet eat many times more calories than the people on the high fat diet.

I also remember hearing somewhere that cavemen may have actually gone after fat in their kills before the meat. Not sure how they came up with that hypothesis, but I heard it.

Also, I'd be interested in this thread.
La Fours
AG
Cool thanks.
AggieChemist
AG
Furlock Bones said:

anything specific in your taco meat spice wise?
McCormack taco seasoning. A vestige of childhood.

Also, if I have it on hand, I'll add shredded iceberg to the above. The crunch kinda makes up for not having fritos/tortilla chips/etc.
Boiling Denim
I've found the following substitutes to be a big factor in following a keto/low-carb diet

Puree cauliflower as a sub for mashed potatoes
Quick blend of dry cauliflower for rice
Zucchini spiralized for spaghetti noodles

With those in mind a typical week would have something like chicken alfredo, chicken tikka masala, chicken pesto pasta, salmon, trout, chili, pork chops, crock pot shredded pork and pot roasts
jetch17
AG
  • egg roll in a bowl
  • pizza casserole
  • oven baked hot wings
  • fake steak (just a big grilled hamburger patty when youre craving a burger)
  • Sauteed cabbage & venison sausage
  • braised pork chops
  • bacon salad
  • taco salad

just a few of our regulars
mts6175
AG
Will put this here for reference as well, a lot of recipes that are keto friendly.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
Furlock Bones
Furlock Bones
AG
made keto meatballs that were pretty effing good

1/2 pound ground grass fed lamb
1/2 pound ground grass fed beef
1/2 cup of parmesan
1/2 cup of mozzerella
1 tsp of minced garlic
1 tsp of pepper.

ArmchairCowboy
AG
Fat head pizza
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Keto diets are common on a treatment plan for Epilepsy
aeroag14
AG
My fianc's sister is a dietitian and uses Keto diets to reduce numbers of seizures in epileptic children!
Furlock Bones
AG
made some hamburger steak with the left over lamb and beef.
Tursiops93
AG
I have followed a diet like this since October 2016 (2 months ago). I have lost 38 pounds with no added exercise, only eliminating high carbs (bread, tortillas, flour, pasta, rice and sugar).

It works.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
It's really interesting the way it works when the body enters into Ketosis, burns fat instead of carbs, and theoretically increases lubrication and decreases inflammation in the brain of patients.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
That being said unless I had seizures I could never give up on biscuits and tortillas for ever
Capitol Ag
AG
Tursiops93 said:

I have followed a diet like this since October 2016 (2 months ago). I have lost 38 pounds with no added exercise, only eliminating high carbs (bread, tortillas, flour, pasta, rice and sugar).

It works.
Did cutting the carbs lose you the weight, or just cutting calories? That's my only issue with cutting carbs. I don't believe in cutting them, at least not if one is exercising as they should. In that case they need more carbs than protein. I agree in cutting out most breads and really only have fruit, starches (sweet potatoes) and white jasmin rice. I just eat clean and eat about 1g or protein per my desired body weight. 1.5 to 2 times my body weight in carbs. 3-4 meals.

But to me losing weight is 80% diet. Just keep it balanced and clean. Don't fear carbs. They are your fuel.
Tursiops93
AG
Capitol Ag said:

Tursiops93 said:

It works.
Did cutting the carbs lose you the weight, or just cutting calories? That's my only issue with cutting carbs. I don't believe in cutting them, at least not if one is exercising as they should. In that case they need more carbs than protein. I agree in cutting out most breads and really only have fruit, starches (sweet potatoes) and white jasmin rice. I just eat clean and eat about 1g or protein per my desired body weight. 1.5 to 2 times my body weight in carbs. 3-4 meals.

But to me losing weight is 80% diet. Just keep it balanced and clean. Don't fear carbs. They are your fuel.
It was cutting the carbs! My doctor told me I actually had to increase the amount of fat in my diet, because with lower carbs, fat becomes your energy source. A by-product of the low-carb diet, is that your cravings and appetite diminish due to the lower amounts of carbs in your system. Carbs make your brain secrete chemicals that trigger cravings and appetite.
Capitol Ag
AG
Tursiops93 said:

Capitol Ag said:

Tursiops93 said:

It works.

It was cutting the carbs! My doctor told me I actually had to increase the amount of fat in my diet, because with lower carbs, fat becomes your energy source. A by-product of the low-carb diet, is that your cravings and appetite diminish due to the lower amounts of carbs in your system. Carbs make your brain secrete chemicals that trigger cravings and appetite.
First, I am glad it's working for you! Remember, I am talking about eating for performance and appearance. There's a lot of different points of view on this. Some doctors will tell you to eat carbs to lower cravings, others say lower them. To me, I workout like an athlete so I eat like one. My doctor would say it's just cutting calories, whether fat, carb etc. And not eating empty ones especially. I have an auto-immune disorder as well, so I have a slew of doctors that work on me. They all say that the fact that I control my diet so well and exercise has really kept my ulcerative colitis in check. Now, I know some fitness folks that do low carb, and for women, there really may be a point to it. But, especially for very active, physically fit men, it's good to get those healthy macros like good fats and carbs. Also, I'm more of a fruit guy for most meals, with a larger starch after a workout or on off days a starch in the last meal of the day. Which goes against conventional thinking, I'm aware. They used to say no carbs after 7pm. But there's really no conclusive research on this. Plus I love the way I feel and don't have many cravings, unless I'm hungry. To me, a craving is just there to tell me it's time for my next meal.

The question I ask people is first, have they truly eaten clean for an extended period of time. If they have and didn't lose weight, than there's an issue with metabolism. And that can happen. Time to call an expert then. But for most people, if they eat a clean diet 80-90% of the week, where that 10% is a cheat meal or day, they'll cut the body fat levels dramatically. In the end, the thing that we can agree on is it's 80% diet. Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym floor. We need strenuous physical exercise, all of us. But diet's where the muffin top and love handles come off.

In the end, do what works for you. I find my diet is perfect for my goals. And that's all that really matters. I look and feel better than I ever have and perform better too. In the gym, with my kids, in every area of life. It's my workouts and mobility training like yoga that have helped me physically, and my diet is designed to fuel that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.