Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Mirror glaze cake

1,762 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by aggiespartan
redd38
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have good results making a mirror glaze cake? I tried making my first one last weekend and I'm looking for some tips.
aggiespartan
AG
I haven't done a pure mirror glaze cake before, but I may be able to offer some tips. What were your problems?
aggiespartan
AG
What kind of gelatin did you use - powder or sheets?
redd38
AG
First of all, I need a good foundation. Most sites suggested using an entremet cake, but that seemed difficult. Some sites said a mousse cake is ok too, so I did that. The problem is a couldn't get the surface of it smooth, so I need a better cake to use. Secondly, it wasn't quite as glossy as I was hoping, so any tips for that.

I used powder gelatin.
aggiespartan
AG
Try using the gelatin sheets. They are much better in my opinion. I use these sheets: gelatin They work great in the chocolate glaze that I do and are recommended in the Bouchon Bakery cookbook.

When I get the time, I'm going to try this cake: cake with a raspberry mirror glaze. I saw a picture of one that someone did, and it came out pretty smooth. For a cake like this, you have to be very careful to follow the instructions closely.

Also take your time.
redd38
AG
I'll try those sheets next time. HEB didn't have sheets and I didn't want to wait for sheets to ship.

Maybe I whipped the top layer of mousse too much, maybe if I leave it a little less stiff then it'll flatten out more. I wonder if I also could just use a hot wire to cut a thin layer off the top.
aggiespartan
AG
Was it just not smooth or were there lumps in the mousse?
redd38
AG
The mousse didn't have lumps, I just couldn't get the surface perfectly smooth with a spatula, so there were spatula tracks all over the top. Maybe I need a different type of spatula. I made it in a spring form pan so the edge of the pan prevents me from just running the spatula straight across.
aggiespartan
AG
Sometimes just giving the pan a little shakey shake will be enough to smooth it out.
redd38
AG
Do you know anything about the gel food dye? I saw that recommended a lot too, but I just used regular food dye. Do you think the gel could make it more glossy?
aggiespartan
AG
I use the gel food coloring all the time. I don't think that is why would make it glossy though. It is certainly a more concentrated color though. It would look more vibrant color-wise. If you want to give it a try, you could go get wilton gel colors at Michael's, Hobby Lobby, or Joanns. If you are doing an amazon order, I would pick up some Americolor. You might see a difference in the gloss in the type of gelatin though. Do you have a link to the recipe that you used for the glaze?
aggiespartan
AG
Watch this video to see how this person gets the mousse cake flat - she actually froze it and turned it out upside down, so the bottom is actually the top.
redd38
AG
I used this one: https://www.southernfatty.com/how-to-make-a-mirror-glazed-cake/

I tried to make it maroon, so maybe that was a mistake. Maybe I should go with a brighter color. The maroon didn't turn out that good anyway.
aggiespartan
AG
Maroon is always a tough color. Americolor has a maroon that is pretty good though. I don't think the immersion blender step in that recipe is really necessary. I've seen recipes where you just pour it through a sieve and call it a day. The amount of water that is in regular food coloring may have some effect, but I wouldn't think that it would make it not shiny at all.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.