Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe, share your best!

4,065 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by schmendeler
LGAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm kinda on a mission for the best chewy CCC.

My go to is actually the recipe on the Crisco bars. I double the chocolate chips and increase the salt a bit. They're not crunchy but I thought we could do better.

So, I tried Alton Brown's recipe, The Chewy. It isn't in Everyday Cook, I found it online. Also needs tweaking. It calls for 15 minutes at 375. I don't know how anything can be chewy after that but my cookies definitely weren't. The middles were alright but the edges were pretty crunchy. Knocked the time back to 12 minutes and got better results. The cookie has more of a cake like consistency than most cookies. It's not cake, but its somewhere in between.

Help me out!
aggiespartan
AG
I use the disney recipe. If you google disney chocolate chip cookies, you'll find it.
aggiespartan
AG
And I use high quality chips. That makes a big difference in my opinion.
barney94
AG
Use the Toll house recipe on the bag of chips - but sub wheat flour for half of the regular flour.

Makes them more chewy and a great texture.

bigtruckguy3500
I find melting the butter and including a few teaspoons of corn starch help. I also start the oven at 375-400 and then drop it to 350 as soon as I put it in the oven. Keep it in for 12-13 minutes. Also, another poster reminded me of this, I use 3 yolks and 1 white.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Creaming the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs for atleast 10 mins then refrigerating to dough for atleast an hour is my secret
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Then good chocolate is the next level
biobioprof
Not a cookie expert, but I found this discussion to be similar to what I recall from that Alton Brown episode, and possibly more thorough

http://spot.pcc.edu/~jvolpe/recipes/spring05/CookieScience.htm
BlackLab
AG
The toll house recipe always results in flat, thin cookies. Or is it just me?
Bulldog73
AG
Not just you. That's been my experience. I'll try to find my wife's recipe later, but it's by far the best I've ever had.
aggiespartan
AG
Here is the disneyone. It kind of combines a lot of what people have said. Chill dough before cooking. It uses powdered sugar - the cornstarch helps with chewiness. And I would use high quality chips.
Palovic
We utilize the Toll House recipe but utilize Ghirardelli dark chips instead and use a little more than recipe calls for and the trick to making them more chewy.....Apple sauce instead of eggs.

Wife and 3year old son make his recipe at least one a month and they are legit.
aggiespartan
AG
Guittard chips are exceptional. The Guittard cocoa is used in the Bouchon Bakery cookbook.
rhoswen
AG
I made Tollhouse cookies today and they're not flat. Imo, melted butter makes them flat, I use room temp butter.
bigtruckguy3500
So I melt my butter to mix the sugar in, but once I've completely made my dough, I cover it with saran wrap and put it in the fridge for a few hours and then bake. That helps prevent spreading.
javajaws
AG
I'll add 2 tips and a recipe to this thread:

1) don't overcook your cookies! That will make them hard

2) use parchment paper

My recipe:

1/2 c sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
1 stick butter
1/2 c crisco
1 egg
1 1/2 ts vanilla
1 3/4 c flour
1/2 ts salt
1 ts baking soda
Chocolate chips as desired (I usually go light on the chocolate)

I've used this recipe dozens of times. If you don't overcook them (10 min in my oven at 375) they'll stay chewy after they cool.
javajaws
AG
From tonight's batch:

AlaskanAg99
AG
I saw "chewy" and immediately thought Chewbacca. So....what would be a Wookie Cookie?
cypress-ag
AG
javajaws said:

From tonight's batch:

That's a mighty fine looking plate of cookies...now I've gotta make those tonight.
Sazerac
AG
use Irish butter like Kerrygold
and I prefer dark brown sugar
schmendeler
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Creaming the butter, sugar, vanilla and eggs for atleast 10 mins then refrigerating to dough for atleast an hour is my secret
ten minutes? wow! what is the consistency like after that? is it puffed up with air?
Jack Klompus
AG
Keep your dough in the fridge in between scooping out your batches. We use half milk chocolate and half semi sweet chocolate for the chips.
bigtruckguy3500
Check your walmarts. I just got 4 bags of Hershey's semi-sweet chocolate chips for 25 cents a pop. It was in the clearance section. Not sure why, they haven't expired, no holes in the bags, and they taste fine.

I'm also trying to eat healthy, so this is not a good time for that sale.
Matsui
AG
anyone have that picture chart that shows difference in cookies from cold/warm butter and also cold/warm start to cookie baking? It was a progressive type photo reference.
bigtruckguy3500
I think this might be what you're referring to: http://www.handletheheat.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Also, here are a few webpages about chocolate chip cookies and various people experimenting or making claims about how to make them the best:

http://www.christinamarsigliese.com/2010/05/never-trust-chocolate-chip-cookie-with.html
http://www.ozy.com/good-sht/the-secret-to-baking-the-best-chocolate-cookie-science/6613
http://cookingontheside.com/anatomy-of-a-chocolate-chip-cookie/
http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/12/the-food-lab-the-best-chocolate-chip-cookies.html
http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/05/13/chewy-chocolate-chunk-cookies/
http://www.cfs.purdue.edu/FN/fn453/pdf_full/nonenz_brown_2.pdf (just some science behind getting a good caramelized flavor)
NATE AG03
AG
This recipe from America's Test Kitchen kind of changed my life. The brown butter is key.

Ingredients

Instructions
MAKES 16 COOKIES
NOTE FROM THE TEST KITCHEN Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored. For our winning brand of chocolate chips, see related tasting.

[ol]
  • 1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
  • 2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.
  • 3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.
  • 4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)
  • 5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.
  • [/ol]
    TMfrisco
    AG
    NATE AG03 said:

This recipe from America's Test Kitchen kind of changed my life. The brown butter is key.

Ingredients

Instructions
    MAKES 16 COOKIES
    NOTE FROM THE TEST KITCHEN Avoid using a nonstick skillet to brown the butter; the dark color of the nonstick coating makes it difficult to gauge when the butter is browned. Use fresh, moist brown sugar instead of hardened brown sugar, which will make the cookies dry. This recipe works with light brown sugar, but the cookies will be less full-flavored. For our winning brand of chocolate chips, see related tasting.

[ol]
  • 1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 large (18- by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour and baking soda together in medium bowl; set aside.
  • 2. Heat 10 tablespoons butter in 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until melted, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking, swirling pan constantly until butter is dark golden brown and has nutty aroma, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and, using heatproof spatula, transfer browned butter to large heatproof bowl. Stir remaining 4 tablespoons butter into hot butter until completely melted.
  • 3. Add both sugars, salt, and vanilla to bowl with butter and whisk until fully incorporated. Add egg and yolk and whisk until mixture is smooth with no sugar lumps remaining, about 30 seconds. Let mixture stand 3 minutes, then whisk for 30 seconds. Repeat process of resting and whisking 2 more times until mixture is thick, smooth, and shiny. Using rubber spatula or wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until just combined, about 1 minute. Stir in chocolate chips and nuts (if using), giving dough final stir to ensure no flour pockets remain.
  • 4. Divide dough into 16 portions, each about 3 tablespoons (or use #24 cookie scoop). Arrange 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, 8 dough balls per sheet. (Smaller baking sheets can be used, but will require 3 batches.)
  • 5. Bake cookies 1 tray at a time until cookies are golden brown and still puffy, and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft, 10 to 14 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through baking. Transfer baking sheet to wire rack; cool cookies completely before serving.
  • [/ol]
    Wife makes these all the time and they are the best - if you like soft and chewy. Toast the pecans, rotate the pans and use Ghiradelli chips - I prefer Milk chocolate, she like semi-sweet.
    Thank the OP later.
    Keeper of The Spirits
    AG
    I should have explained better : cream the butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes, then add the eggs and vanilla and beat for 7 minutes. It's how Christina Tosi does alot of their cookies at Milkbar. Texture is crispy on outside, fudgy in the middle
    bigtruckguy3500
    Anyone ever tried "hard boiled egg chocolate chip cookies"? - http://cookiesandcups.com/hard-boiled-egg-chocolate-chip-cookies/

Seems crazy to me.
    schmendeler
    AG
    You'll notice she doesn't really go into why you would do this or what they actually taste like.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.