Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Venison ground meat

4,671 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by schmellba99
Mort Rainey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are some of your favorite things to do with ground Venison meat?
HTownAg98
Chili.
SbisaVictim95
AG
Defnitely chili but you can use it for anything you'd use ground beef for.
AggieChemist
AG
I kill 5-7 deer every year and put most of it into ground.

Chili
Taco Meat
Spaghetti Sauce

probably accounts for >75% of it.
FIDO*98*
AG
Mix in a little powdered milk and flour or breadcrumbs as a binder and press into patties for chicken fried steak.
schmellba99
AG
Chili
Burgers
Tacos
Spaghetti
Stuffed Patties
Breakfast sausage
Monkey heads

I suppose you could also do a meatloaf or something with it as well, but i have never tried. Anywhere you use ground beef, it is a great substitute.
tamutaylor12
Makes my favorite breakfast sausage
FIDO*98*
AG
schmellba99 said:

Anywhere you use ground beef, it is a great substitute.

It's actually a really lousy substitute for ground beef which it's why it's best in things like chili which rely heavily on spices and seasonings. It would probably be a better substitute in recipes that call for ground Lamb for that same reason.
dummble
AG
Picadillo (meat and potato)
Curry's both indian and thai

Really any recipe that has cut up meat, I just use ground instead.
My wife had the same issue, she was looking for recipes that called for ground meat. I just substitute what ever meat the recipe calls for with ground meat.
GtownRAB
AG
FIDO*98* said:

schmellba99 said:

It's actually a really lousy substitute for ground beef which it's why it's best in things like chili which rely heavily on spices and seasonings. It would probably be a better substitute in recipes that call for ground Lamb for that same reason.

If it is 100% ground venison, I agree

If it has a variation of fat, beef, or pork added to get the fat content around 10% or higher, then use it like regular hamburger meat.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
dummble said:

Picadillo (meat and potato)
Curry's both indian and thai

Really any recipe that has cut up meat, I just use ground instead.
My wife had the same issue, she was looking for recipes that called for ground meat. I just substitute what ever meat the recipe calls for with ground meat.
That sounds interesting. I may need to try that.
schmellba99
AG
FIDO*98* said:

schmellba99 said:

Uhh, OK I guess.
HTownAg98
FIDO*98* said:

schmellba99 said:

If you try to make lamb meatballs with ground venison instead, you will end up with hockey pucks because of the lack of fat. For a ground beef dish where fat isn't important but is heavily seasoned (tacos, chili, spaghetti sauce), ground venison is fine. Don't make a burger with it without adding some pork fat.
AggieChemist
AG
I shot a deer for my neighbor a couple years ago. He's Indian (dot not feather). Every so often he'd bring me a plate of whatever he'd cooked up with it. It was always amazing.

My favorite was some peanut butter spicy concoction. No idea what it was called. He gave me the recipe but I couldn't find most of the ingredients.
agcrock2005
AG
Anything you can do with ground beef you can do with deer.

Chili, spaghetti, hamburgers, and tacos are my favorites.
HTownAg98
I took the modernist cuisine pork vindaloo recipe and swapped out venison for the pork. It is damn good.
spud1910
AG
My wife is from Russia and she often makes Kotletki (Russian Meat Patties) []. Even my mom, who doesn't like venison, enjoys it.
JYDog90
AG
I made shepherd's pie with it last night and my family dug it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shepherds-pie-recipe2.html
Btron
AG
schmellba99 said:

Chili
Burgers
Tacos
Spaghetti
Stuffed Patties
Breakfast sausage
Monkey heads

I suppose you could also do a meatloaf or something with it as well, but i have never tried. Anywhere you use ground beef, it is a great substitute.
What's a monkey head? I'm afraid to google.
BrandoC
AG
Deerburgers.
combat wombat™
AG
My last batch of chili included about 3/4 to 1 lb of ground beef that I had leftover from another recipe plus about 1.5 lbs ground venison. I don't get fancy, I just use the Wick Fowler's spices. I also add about 1/4 brown sugar. I put it in the crockpot in the morning because I wasn't going to have time to cook the evening I made it. IT WAS THE BEST BATCH OF CHILI I'D EVER MADE.

combat wombat™
AG
BrandoC said:

Deerburgers.
I bet those are about as dry as the Sahara.
GottaRide
S
Four parts venison ground with one part bacon ends. Never look back.
JSKolache
AG
Mix 50# with a small brisket & a pork shoulder. Use this for all ground meat needs all year long - burger/taco meat, sausage stuffing, bulk pan sausage, etc.
schmellba99
AG
Btron said:

schmellba99 said:

Chili
Burgers
Tacos
Spaghetti
Stuffed Patties
Breakfast sausage
Monkey heads

What's a monkey head? I'm afraid to google.
Stuffed bell pepper. Makes a fine meal.
Tailgate88
AG
combat wombat said:

BrandoC said:

Deerburgers.
I bet those are about as dry as the Sahara.

We make one doe a year into ground with 10% beef fat for use in spaghetti, meatloaf etc. Then another doe into 20% beef fat ground for deerburgers.
FIDO*98*
AG
I've never eaten a burger from frozen meat, 100% beef, venison mix, or otherwise that made me want to eat another one. I'm either grinding myself or buying day of ground beef for burgers.

Likewise, if you dump jarred Prego over cooked meat crumbles, you're fine using ground venison. No way a deer is making it into my homemade Ragu
Mort Rainey
I've made sweet potato nachos with it!
Blue Smoke
Eat 100% ground venison all the time. If I want beef or pork I will eat that. Venison makes a great medium rare burger. You can't cook the crap out of it and I process all of my own meat every year.
BrandoC
AG
Hog, small amount of beef, ground venison, best burger ever ate. Im from the back woods of deep east Texas so we eat that more than beef.
schmellba99
AG
Had some elk burgers this weekend. Purty tasty.

About 60% elk, 40% brisket. Added some homemade bacon chunks into the grind as well. Cooked medium, no issue with being dry. My 6 year old ate one on Saturday, one on Sunday. Then polished off a slice of chicken fried venison after the burger. Girl must have a tapeworm, but she absolutely loves wild game.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.