Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Still new to this beef thing. Would this prime rib recipe be any good?

2,545 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TheMasterplan
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Or would all that butter make it greasy?
Here is what you'll need!
PRIME RIB WITH GARLIC HERB BUTTER
Servings: 7-9
INGREDIENTS
1 cup butter, softened
7 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon pepper
5-7 pound boneless ribeye roast, trimmed
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups beef stock
Mashed potatoes, to serve
Green beans, to serve
PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 500F/260C.
Mix together the butter, garlic, herbs, salt, and pepper in a bowl until evenly combined.
Rub the herb butter all over the rib roast, then place on a roasting tray with a rack.
Bake for 5 minutes per pound of meat, so a 5-pound roast would bake for 25 minutes, and a 7-pound roast would bake for 35 minutes.
Turn off the heat and let the rib roast sit in the oven for 2 hours, making sure you do not open the oven door or else the residual heat will escape.
Once the 2 hours are up, remove the roast from the pan and pour the pan drippings into a saucepan over medium heat.
Add the flour, whisking until there are no lumps, then add the beef stock, stirring and bringing the sauce to a boil.
Remove from heat and strain the sauce into a gravy dish.
Carve the prime rib into -inch slices, then serve with the mashed potatoes, green beans, and sauce!

Here is the web page with a video on making it.

http://www.stltoday.com/lifestyles/food-and-cooking/prime-rib-with-garlic-herb-butter/youtube_04cfd5ec-a90c-508f-a845-ba720ec3a911.html
HTownAg98
Any recipe for prime rib that goes by time and not temperature is a bad recipe.
FIDO*98*
AG
^
What he said

Use the Serious Eats recipe instead.

Here's another wildcard with that recipe.

Quote:

2 cups beef stock

If you're like me, you buy bones from the butcher and make homemade beef stock to have on hand and this is not a problem. Most people, however, buy the stuff in a box which is absolutely terrible and so strongly flavored it will make whatever you use it in taste awful
FIDO*98*
AG
Also, all the butter in the world won't make anything taste greasy. Butter is buttery. Rendered fat and hydrogenated oils are greasy
Tanya 93
FIDO*98* said:

^
What he said

Use the Serious Eats recipe instead.

Here's another wildcard with that recipe.

Quote:

2 cups beef stock

If you're like me, you buy bones from the butcher and make homemade beef stock to have on hand and this is not a problem. Most people, however, buy the stuff in a box which is absolutely terrible and so strongly flavored it will make whatever you use it in taste awful
I have been buying bones from the woman at the Farmer's Market I get the steaks and roasts from.

I get super rich, almost gelatinous stock from that.
Joe Exotic
AG
If it's grass fed just throw it in the trash and serve chicken nuggets instead.
Duncan Idaho
Also aot of the newer ovens automatically start venting the oven after it is turned off. So this technique won't work any more.

The serious eats way is the way to go. But it takes a long time so plan ahead.
Tanya 93
Bayside Tiger Ag said:

If it's grass fed just throw it in the trash and serve chicken nuggets instead.
The SeriousEats recipe I googled said to use grass fed
Max Power
AG
Definitely go the serious eats route. Going to be way less risky to cook a huge piece of meat low and slow, then crank it up at the end. Their recipe for roasted pork shoulder uses the same method and it's the best pork ever. You can probably do the same technique with a chuck roast as well.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Prime rib is a waste of good meat... I prefer to have my prime rib in the form of prime ribeye...

I definitely second/third the recommendation that beef needs to be cooked to temp not time. Sous Vide is a hell of a technique.
TheMasterplan
Had a 1.83 lb prime rib and I know that's not much but I tried OPs way and came out overcooked. It was probably only a 1/4 of the inside still pink.

It was the first time doing it so I just wanted it to be edible which it was. Cooking to temp instead of time obviously made way more sense but I just didn't want to put too much prep in it cus I was lazy. My au jus was boss though. Gotta make my own stock next time though.

I will try the reverse sear way or rig the grill to function as a smoker.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.