Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Just got an Anova

11,142 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jayelbee
TecRecAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My mom picked me one up for Christmas. I know about sous vide but have never had any food that was cooked sous vide, let alone cook it that way myself.

Food board, shower me with your tips, tricks, and knowledge.
Whoop04
https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2273978/1#discussion

Start with something like a pork chop at 145F for an hour. Quick sear on a skillet after it comes out.

And this is a good thing to know:

"While there are a lot of different food pathogens that can make you sick, you only need to worry about killing the toughest and most dangerous. The three food pathogens you should worry about when cooking sous vide are the Salmonella species, Listeria monocytogenes, and the pathogenic strains of Escherichia coli. Listeria is the hardest to kill but it takes fewer Salmonella or E. coli bacteria to make you sick. Since you don't know how many pathogens are in your food, most experts recommend that you cook your food to reduce: Listeria by at least a million to one; Salmonella by ten million to one; and E. coli by a hundred thousand to one. You can easily do this when you cook sous vide: you just keep your food in a 130F (54.4C) or hotter water bath until enough bacteria have been killed." http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Safety_Summary
biobioprof
Congrats!

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/01/first-thing-to-cook-with-sous-vide-immersion-circulator-essential-recipes.html
bobbyb0322
I got one for Christmas too. I love it. Already cooked a couple ribeyes and a few burgers. Everything has turned out great.
maca1028
My wife got me one for Christmas, I plan on cooking some venison filets this weekend. I don't have a vacuum sealer so I'll have to do the ziplock thing until I buy one. Can't wait!
bobbyb0322
Using a zip lock, submerging it almost all the way in water, and zipping the bag closed works surprisingly well. I tried it once just to see even though I have a vacuum sealer. If you do it right it gets almost all of the air out.
JFrench
AG
Ziplock makes cheap/easy hand pump sealer and various sized bags. I could never get the air out properly just dropping bag in.

Another vote for pork chop.
Max Power
AG
I also got an Anova for Christmas, not sure what I'll do first but it will be some form of steak. If you don't have a vacuum sealer I highly recommend the investment. We buy all our meat at Costco or stock up when it goes on sale. Portion it out, seal it up and throw in the deep freeze. I have used our food saver every month since purchase about four years ago.
chipotle
I tried the zip loc bags and the pump bags. It worked for a bit but just sucked it up and bought a vacuum sealer(worth it) after a few bags broke.
Duncan Idaho
72 hour short ribs are my favorite
Post removed:
by user
bobbyb0322
Duncan Idaho said:

Trying this next week.
chipotle
Duncan Idaho said:

Guess I have to try this
htxag09
AG
The wife and I got the Joule for ourselves. Will be doing lots of TexAgs searching and bookmarking over the next couple weeks.
Garrelli 5000
AG
htxag09 said:

The wife and I got the Joule for ourselves. Will be doing lots of TexAgs searching and bookmarking over the next couple weeks.
My wife got me a Joule as well. I mentioned about 6 months ago that a sous vide tool would be a good gift. Earlier this month I specifically requested a Joule - she'd already bought it

First cook will be this weekend, 99% chance it will be a prime steak as a farewell dinner to eating whatever the F i've wanted, when I wanted.
Bmac04
AG
Got one for Christmas as well but have to exchange it for a new one. The temp was jumping all over the place, as much as 15+/-
04.arch.ag
AG
I started off easy with the one I just got. A couple of chicken breasts because it was the only protein I had on hand. Tonight goes in a couple of lamb shanks for the 48 hour cook for new years eve party.
EFE
AG
I just did these venison medallions with mine. I've never realized how truly bad people screw up venison on a regular basis. These might as well have been beef tenderloin.
Duncan Idaho
EagleFordEarl said:

I just did these venison medallions with mine. I've never realized how truly bad people screw up venison on a regular basis. These might as well have been beef tenderloin.

Damn that look good
Cook some shrimp and see how bad it is usually done.
maca1028
EagleFordEarl said:

Can't wait to throw my filets in!
beb06
AG
My normals:

Pork chops at 137 for 1.5 hr
Chicken breasts at 150 for 1.5 hr
Steaks at 134 for 1.5 hr

All with sear in cast iron after for 30ish seconds per side

Also great for fish, especially salmon and halibut, for shrimp, etc

The best part is being able to pasteurize at lower temps so you end up with much juicer end results. Especially true for chicken and pork.

Good links:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-chicken-breast.html

And all the others from here: http://www.seriouseats.com/sous_vide_101

I have a vacuum sealer but just use ziplock for sous vide. The water immersion technique works perfectly.
bobbyb0322
EagleFordEarl said:

Man, that looks good.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Rick Bayless sous vide carnitas. The best thing I've made with mine.
752bro4
AG
This bad boy goes for a bath tomorrow evening. 3.25lbs, probably 130 degrees.

Matsui
AG
updates please
biobioprof
Bruce Almighty said:

Recipe or link, please!
htxag09
AG
Anyone have a good venison backstrap recipe?
EFE
AG
I threw mine in directly from the freezer in the package from the processor at 130 for 2hrs. Patted dry, kosher salt, coarse pepper, sear at 700 in cast iron. They were about the best thing I did with my pants on last night.
bobbyb0322
Man, I just did a couple thick boneless skinless chicken breasts for lunch and I think chicken is my favorite thing I've fixed so far. Did them at 150 for an hour and a half as someone else had mentioned. Finished them off with a little salt/pepper and a quick sear in a hot pan. Probably the best chicken I've ever fixed.
beb06
AG
bobbyb0322 said:

Man, I just did a couple thick boneless skinless chicken breasts for lunch and I think chicken is my favorite thing I've fixed so far. Did them at 150 for an hour and a half as someone else had mentioned. Finished them off with a little salt/pepper and a quick sear in a hot pan. Probably the best chicken I've ever fixed.
I really like the end result when doing chicken breasts at 150. Very juicy without getting the texture to the point that it's way too different than what they are accustomed to.
Bruce Almighty
AG
biobioprof said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Recipe or link, please!
It's not really a recipe, but here's the link of him making it.

http://livewellnetwork.com/Mexico-One-Plate-At-A-Time/episodes/State-of-the-Carnitas-Concept/8447574?pid=8447645
biobioprof
Bruce Almighty said:

biobioprof said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Recipe or link, please!
It's not really a recipe, but here's the link of him making it.

http://livewellnetwork.com/Mexico-One-Plate-At-A-Time/episodes/State-of-the-Carnitas-Concept/8447574?pid=8447645
Cool, thanks. So, If I heard right...

Hunk of pork shoulder, salted
143F for 50h as a confit in freshly rendered lard
Press into a loaf and chill
Cut a block and pan fry the sides

Is that what you did? Tell me what you did for the lard. Do you use the stuff from the supermarket or do you have a source of leaf lard, or are you rendering it from the trimmings? Or something else?

It looked to me like a restaurant scale pan for the loaf. I'm thinking a small loaf pan lined with Saran Wrap.
bobbyb0322
Yea, 150 is great. Very juicy.
chipotle
Short ribs are in
fta09
AG
So far I have made salmon, pork tenderloin, and steak. All have been great, but the salmon was amazing. Being able to cook to an exact temperature is great for fish. I'm looking forward to trying chicken breasts as well.

It has been linked already, but www.seriouseats.com has a lot of useful info.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.