Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Instant Pot?

10,006 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by We fixed the keg
bkag9824
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anybody have one of these thingymajigs? If so, how do you like it?

Evidently one can sous vide with the Bluetooth model. Lots of capabilities, recipes/videos, etc out there.

Wife wants one for Christmas so will report back if nobody else comments.
dummble
AG
I bought one when Amazon had that sale this summer.

I had had a stove stop pressure cooker and this replaced it so I was a little bias. I love it and I am teaching my wife to use it since it is a lot simpler than translating the jiggling weight.

Lots of stocks, chili, stews currys, beans, rice. You will learn to take crock pot recipes, throw all the stuff in the pot and hit go before changing out of work clothes. Dinner will be ready in about 40 minutes.

I have done steel cut oats in the morning in about 10 minutes.

Now don't get me wrong you get a ton of flavor in a short amount of time, but don't let people lie to you about cooking something for 30 minutes.

Whatever recipe you use, the pressure cooking time does not included the time it takes to build pressure or release it.

It also mutes some flavors and if you are doing large cuts of meat you will want to wait for a natural pressure release to not dry out your meat.

you will always need less liquid than you think since none escapes during cooking

you can also slow cook in it

throw away your crock pot and rice cooker, buy with confidence
normaleagle05
AG
Wife got us one at some point this year. I didn't pay it much attention until it made stock out of the turkey carcass I butchered for Thanksgiving individual parts. Makes awesome stock with zero fuss. I'm sure it does other stuff well too.
TXAG 05
AG
This is not what I thought this thread was about.
Walter Kovacs
AG
I bought one thinking that I would use it all the time. I've used it maybe 10 times in a year. It works great but I scale recipes up and down all the time and I have difficulty nailing down the times. Maybe one day I'll actually try to figure it out.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I got one last year for Christmas and have probably used it twice.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I got one of these for Christmas. I plan on using for stocks,chili, rice and soups. Anything else I am missing?Anyone tried to make yogurt?
GoneGirl
AG
I have two electric pressure cookers - not instant pots, but one is a Cuisinart and the other is just an inexpensive WalMart one.

I use both regularly. The best thing about them is that if you forget to take something out for dinner, you can cook frozen meat in it and it does a great job.

It's awesome for chicken, and I hardboil eggs in it too (these eggs peel better than any boiled eggs).

I made and canned fresh apple sauce this weekend.

Shrimp and pastas are a little trickier, but with practice it does a really good job.

I rarely ever use my crockpot anymore. Why take 8-10 hours for pulled pork when you can do it in a little over an hour?
Vernada
AG
I have an instant pot but it's gotten very little use. Basically I just haven't spent the time with it to learn what works. I use a crockpot pretty regularly and know I should be getting more use from my instant pot.
Zemira
AG
I was thinking about some sort of pressure cooker, but no clue where to start.

I asked my mom who knows all things cooking and she told me not to get a pressure cooker because I will blow it up (so not helpful). So no idea if instant pot or something else?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Zemira said:

I was thinking about some sort of pressure cooker, but no clue where to start.

I asked my mom who knows all things cooking and she told me not to get a pressure cooker because I will blow it up (so not helpful). So no idea if instant pot or something else?

It's not the 1950s anymore. Pressure cookers are safe, especially instant pots.
Zemira
AG
I realize this, but my mother who is late 60s has fond memories of older pressure cookers so I decided to ask on Texags.
beb06
AG
Got an InstaPot for Christmas. Used it to make black eyed peas yesterday and it worked great. Browned bacon in the InstaPot using it's Saute/Browning feature, then threw in the rest of ingredients and beans and had a completed dish 22 minutes later. Worked great!
motherrunnersBCS
Got one on Black Friday. So far I have used it weekly to make a half dozen hardboiled eggs (they peel so easily!) and five days worth of steel cut oats (no stirring, easy clean up, perfect texture). I have made whole sweet potatoes (good, but could just as easily used the microwave). I have also cooked frozen boneless chicken with potatoes (good for when you forget to defrost), and a pound of ground beef from frozen (useful, but not browned). I have not tried it as a rice cooker yet, and plan to try risotto this weekend - no stir risotto sounds great, hope it works. Chicken stock was very good, and done in 40 minutes vs. the 6-8 hours when I use the crockpot.

I have mixed feelings. But if the rice turns out well, then I will have replaced two appliances on my counter with one, so that is good. Otherwise I have bought an expensive egg and oatmeal maker.

I never wanted a pressure cooker because I remember the spurting, steaming, clogged up dangerous thing my grandma used. This is easy - I either let it cook down naturally, or I hit the release using a wooden spoon. I plugged it into an outlet where I do not have overhanging kitchen counters. Be careful of keeping it on the stovetop, the internet has many photos of melted Instant Pots.

Oh, and use the slot on the handle to hold the lid when you remove it - I used the pot for weeks before I learned that it why the handles are shaped like that. And use the saute function to warm the pot before you close it - it will get to pressure faster if the pot is prewarmed.
Zemira
AG
I need to make a batch of broth weekly and I am sure other things.

Does it seem worthwhile from that perspective?
OCEN99
AG
motherrunnersBCS said:

Got one on Black Friday. So far I have used it weekly to make a half dozen hardboiled eggs (they peel so easily!) and five days worth of steel cut oats (no stirring, easy clean up, perfect texture). I have made whole sweet potatoes (good, but could just as easily used the microwave). I have also cooked frozen boneless chicken with potatoes (good for when you forget to defrost), and a pound of ground beef from frozen (useful, but not browned). I have not tried it as a rice cooker yet, and plan to try risotto this weekend - no stir risotto sounds great, hope it works. Chicken stock was very good, and done in 40 minutes vs. the 6-8 hours when I use the crockpot.

I have mixed feelings. But if the rice turns out well, then I will have replaced two appliances on my counter with one, so that is good. Otherwise I have bought an expensive egg and oatmeal maker.

I never wanted a pressure cooker because I remember the spurting, steaming, clogged up dangerous thing my grandma used. This is easy - I either let it cook down naturally, or I hit the release using a wooden spoon. I plugged it into an outlet where I do not have overhanging kitchen counters. Be careful of keeping it on the stovetop, the internet has many photos of melted Instant Pots.

Oh, and use the slot on the handle to hold the lid when you remove it - I used the pot for weeks before I learned that it why the handles are shaped like that. And use the saute function to warm the pot before you close it - it will get to pressure faster if the pot is prewarmed.
We got one for Christmas last year, and I make all my rice in it. It's nice for doing Mexican rice too since it has the sautee setting you can use to toast the rice before adding your liquid.
motherrunnersBCS
Made risotto in it - not a fan of making risotto because of the stirring. Made mushroom risotto in the instant pot, the only stirring was the saute part at the beginning to cook the onions and mushrooms in wine, then add the rice and broth, seal it up and it was fantastic.

The number of things I like this for is growing. This week I will try a whole chicken.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Made Fido's carne guisada this weekend in mine and it turned out excellent!
ChampsAg
Finally started using mine and love it!
AgShaun00
AG
what are some of your favorite recipes?
ChampsAg
Made Cajun pot roast, pork chops, texags famous pinto beans from the outdoor board, ribs... all came out great!
Mule_lx
AG
Any more tips, tricks, ideas, or opinions?
jeffdjohnson
I made a paella and it turned out pretty well.

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/pressure-cooker-paella.html
BaitShack
AG
Ive got one. The Mississippi pot roast is good.
We fixed the keg
AG
Late to the game on this one, but WOW! Love it.

The pork carnitas going from solid frozen to tender shredded in 50 minutes was what had me hooked. I love the fact I can cook full meals from frozen meat in under an hour. I even made a cheesecake that was incredible. I cannot believe I didn't hear about these sooner.
Gator2_01
AG
Make this carrot soup. Then thank me.

Max Power
AG
Did these chicken enchiladas last weekend and they were awesome, highly recommend.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/04/pressure-cooker-fast-and-easy-chicken-enchiladas-food-lab-recipe.html
We fixed the keg
AG
The cheesecake!!!!!
fido00
AG
I have made carne guisada that was really good, and tonight I made shepherd's pie, which was good. On the Shepherd's pie I doubled the recipe because I love leftovers for lunch during the week, but I should have not doubled the amount of liquid in the recipe. It was too liquid until it had about 30 minutes to sit and pull together.

that was supposed to be a thumbs up. I love the IP, too.

BAT2007
AG
Sorry in advance for the long post...as you will see, I love my IP

Just last night I made shredded chicken for the week with just some taco seasoning, a jar of salsa and 1 cup of chicken broth. The chicken was semi-frozen (had been thawing in the fridge for the day) and I did Manual, 8 min. high pressure (it was about a pound of boneless, skinless breasts). I let it natural release for a few minutes then quick released the rest. Total time from start to finish was probably 20 min. I also made black beans in less than 30 min (Manual, 22 min)

A tidbit for shredded chicken if you don't already know...use a counter top or hand held mixer to shred the chicken in seconds.
One like this, for example: KitchenAid Hand Mixer

Other tidbits I've learned
- When looking at recipes, the time for the recipes typically just lists the time that the items are under pressure and does not include the time it takes to come to pressure. It is still a faster way of cooking many items, just something to keep in mind when looking at recipes
- To help the pot come to pressure faster, use warm liquid or turn the pot on saute first while preparing ingredients. When you are ready to pressure cook, you will need to turn the Pot off first to cancel the saute, then choose your pressure cooking setting.
- For broth, I like to use a base like the Better than Boullion brand. A little goes a long way with this item as it can be salty. I typically don't like salty foods and I've never had a problem with foods tasting too salty
Better than Boullion

Recipe Websites
This Old Gal
Amy and Jacky Pressure Cooking
Pressure Cook Recipes
Pressure Cooking Today
Hip Pressure Cooking

Helpful Time Chart: Pressure Cooking Times (this is a great starter chart, but as with any recipe, you may need to adjust some times for your liking)

Instant Pot Crack Chicken
Spaghetti and Meatballs
Asiago Shrimp Risotto
7 Minute Risotto
DIY Sandwich Meat

Mac and Cheese Recipes (an easy starter meal for those getting used to the Instant Pot, and those with kids...or someone like me who is 32 and is a mac and cheese afficianado)
Dad Cooks Dinner Mac and Cheese
Copycat Kraft
Creamy Mexican Mac and Cheese

The Instant Pot's official Facebook group has a lot of helpful info and is a great search tool for recipes or tidbits. It also has over 400,000 members, so I recommend turning off notifications if you join (yup, I'm a proud member) because holy moly do people ask the same question over and over and over!
Instant Pot Community

Another great resource for recipes is Pinterest and also just doing a Google search for the recipe that you are looking for, plus the words "Instant Pot" or "Pressure cooker"
We fixed the keg
AG
try this one for chicken.....it is really good.

1 can of Rotel
2 tablespoons Chili Powder
1 tablespoon each of garlic powder, onion powder, and cumin
1 teaspoon of spanish paprika
1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

oh, and the chocolate cheesecake in the IP is the bomb
normaleagle05
AG
We fixed the keg said:

This is not my preferred nomenclature surrounding a home appliance which is, in and of itself, a bomb.
We fixed the keg
AG
normaleagle05 said:

We fixed the keg said:

This is not my preferred nomenclature surrounding a home appliance which is, in and of itself, a bomb.
HA!

Instant Pot - Chocolate Cheesecake
GoneGirl
AG
I had both fired up Sunday evening. Put a pot roast in one (used the browing setting to brown it first) with seasoning, bbq sauce and a dr. Pepper for pulled pork, and chicken drumsticks in the other. Great lunches for the whole week with very little effort.

Potato salad is another great thing to make in it. You cook the potatoes and eggs at the same time.

Applesauce - peel and core apples, through in some brown sugar, cinnamon and about a half a cup of apple juice and in about 10 minutes you have the best apple sauce.
We fixed the keg
AG
TxElsie said:

I had both fired up Sunday evening. Put a pot roast in one (used the browing setting to brown it first) with seasoning, bbq sauce and a dr. Pepper for pulled pork, and chicken drumsticks in the other. Great lunches for the whole week with very little effort.

Potato salad is another great thing to make in it. You cook the potatoes and eggs at the same time.

Applesauce - peel and core apples, through in some brown sugar, cinnamon and about a half a cup of apple juice and in about 10 minutes you have the best apple sauce.

....Thank you for this.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.