Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Buying coffee online?

4,609 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 92Ag95
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What do y'all recommend? Looking to keep it under $.90-1.00 an ounce for whole bean. I bought some really good Ethiopian yirgacheffe from a semi-local place recently, but it was a little pricey.

Also, will it destroy the flavor to buy in bulk and freeze? I'm not at the point of doing any home-roasting and probably won't be.
aggiebq03+
Check out Dodd Coffee, it's Aggie owned, and roasted in small batches in Houston. Owner is around here (ntouch) but I'll write about it so he doesn't feel the need to post this.

This is seriously amazing coffee and I've been impressed for use in both our ECM espresso machine and also when I take it traveling and use my aeropress. I feel no need to try any other brands at this point, just switch up what we order.

I tend to order 4 pounds monthly and then freeze the ones I won't use right away. Thaw them in the fridge a day before we start to use and they stay really fresh. Cost is in the range you are looking.

My favorite thing is that they aren't over roasted and keep tons of flavor in the coffee. I love the Guatemala they have currently, but haven't had one yet I didn't like.
NColoradoAG
I am a big fan of Novo down in Denver. They ship and the beans always arrive within a few days of the roasting date. Theres a few up right now that are $1 an ounce and under.
jdgilberg
AG
I've ordered from Whetstone Coffee before and it's great. Company is run by an Ag who posts here but I can't find their username.
ORAggieFan
Another vote for Dodd. Reminds me I need to order some more.
Scriffer
AG
Thanks for the recs. I'll put in an order.
Represent830
AG
I just ordered a bag from Modern Times just to check out the bourbon barrel beans. Sounds delicious.
n_touch
Thanks for the awesome rec bq. Sorry for anyone that has tried to order in the last couple of days, we are having some problems with the site, but I am working to have it or a scaled down version of it back up and running tomorrow (later today).

Scriffer (and anyone else) shoot me an email at sales (@) doddcoffee.com and I will get you a free shipping coupon.
AggieChemist
AG
Black rifle coffee company
Justice Beaver
AG
AggieChemist said:

Opened this thread to post this.

Fantastic coffee, and a well-run, veteran-owned company.
Scriffer
AG
Just wanted to bump this to thank n_touch and to say Dodd Coffee is fantastic. Did a pour-over with their Costa Rican blend this morning, and it's the best cup of coffee I've ever made.
wadd96
AG
AggieChemist said:

Thirds for this...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
TexasAggies06
AG
Justice Beaver said:

AggieChemist said:

I just recently found out about Black Rifle Coffee Company, and I've got to say that so far I've been a little disappointed. I placed an order on 1/12 and patiently waited a few days for it to ship. Their site specifically says in the FAQ "It is a 72 hour process. Order comes in on day one, order is roasted on day two, and order is shipped on day three." I know this may not always be the case so I gave it a little more time, but after 12 days and not hearing anything I emailed to ask if there were any updates on my order. A couple of hours later I got an email that it had shipped, so it seems like the ball initially got dropped somewhere. Now 2 days after that, when I click on the tracking link, it still just says "USPS awaiting item." I have seen a couple of times where USPS was slow with updating the tracking info, so hopefully it's on its way but I have no idea.

I have heard great things and won't give up on them yet as I would love to support a veteran-owned company, so I am hoping this was an anomaly in their usual shipping process.
n_touch
Quote:

Just wanted to bump this to thank n_touch and to say Dodd Coffee is fantastic. Did a pour-over with their Costa Rican blend this morning, and it's the best cup of coffee I've ever made.
That's one of my favorites as well.
AggieChemist
AG
txswag06 said:

Justice Beaver said:

AggieChemist said:

I just recently found out about Black Rifle Coffee Company, and I've got to say that so far I've been a little disappointed. I placed an order on 1/12 and patiently waited a few days for it to ship. Their site specifically says in the FAQ "It is a 72 hour process. Order comes in on day one, order is roasted on day two, and order is shipped on day three." I know this may not always be the case so I gave it a little more time, but after 12 days and not hearing anything I emailed to ask if there were any updates on my order. A couple of hours later I got an email that it had shipped, so it seems like the ball initially got dropped somewhere. Now 2 days after that, when I click on the tracking link, it still just says "USPS awaiting item." I have seen a couple of times where USPS was slow with updating the tracking info, so hopefully it's on its way but I have no idea.

I have heard great things and won't give up on them yet as I would love to support a veteran-owned company, so I am hoping this was an anomaly in their usual shipping process.
Must be because you're in a backwater state like Texas. My coffee gets to West Virginia in 4 days.
Hwy30East
http://www.brightandearlycoffee.com/

Here's another one to try.
wadd96
AG
Mine arrived in 3 days. Suck it Chemist!
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
AggieChemist
AG
You're a lot closer to Utah.
92Ag95
AG
https://www.deathwishcoffee.com/

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.