Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Question for the sous vide folks

2,379 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by biobioprof
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
In laws are getting a frozen Franklins brisket for Christmas. I figured if they're going to do this I might as well get one of those sous vide thingamajigs I see y'all ballers always using. Question is which one should I buy and what's the process of heating up the brisket?
Preciatecha
Two Down
AG
I have the ANOVA Bluetooth version - couldn't recommend it more.

As far as reheating: place frozen brisket (should be vacuum sealed) in appropriate sized container, such as a cooler or Cambro. Set for 165*, let cook for 1.5 - 2 hrs. Note that going over 2 won't harm anything for the most part, but wouldn't leave it in for anything >5-6 hrs.
aggiebq03+
If it's already cooked, I wouldn't sous vide to reheat. Let it thaw out in the fridge, and then heat in oven set at 225F. Know that you only need to hear to probably 150F since it's already been cooked, which should be about 2 hours I guess. Maybe less.

I would suspect the frozen brisket probably comes with instructions, knowing what a perfectionist Aaron Franklin is. So if it does just ignore what I wrote and do that instead.
BSD
AG
As of the last time I bought a brisket from him, Franklin doesn't have a freezer. He only chills them. If they are frozen, chances are someone else did it. I'd thaw it out in a fridge overnight and then sous vide. The reason for thawing it out in a fridge is that you can break cellular membranes in the meat if it warms to quickly, causing it to seem mushy. A fridge is a good slow thaw (along the same lines, a very fast freeze from a commercial blast freezer is best for meat, not the temps we get in home freezers). The sous vide allows for a prefect temp and it doesn't dry it out like it would in an oven. In fact, Aaron will tell you to do sous vide if you have it at your disposal.
Jock 07
AG
Thanks for the info. I just assumed that they were frozen but if not that's awesome. I'll just make sure they leave it in the fridge til we eat it. I think they're getting it on the 23rd and we'll eat it the 24th. I guess I'll have to research recipes and how to cook with it after I buy one.
biobioprof
From their website
Quote:

Reheating Instructions for sous-vide method:
[ol]
  • Remove package from refrigerator. Do not break seal. If frozen, defrost in refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
  • Submerse sealed package in a pot of simmering (not boiling) water, for about 1 hour.
  • Reheat to preferred internal temperature (USDA recommends reheating internal temp of 165)
  • [/ol]
    The circulator gives you better control over step 2.
    aggiebq03+
    If it's just chilled I would guess it comes in the brown butcher paper they always wrap in. If not get some unwaxed butcher paper (color doesn't matter) and just heat in the oven at low temp. You'll keep a better bark this way than trying to sous vide. You don't care about perfect temp, it's already cooked. And it won't dry out in the few hours it takes to heat up, especially if it's still whole/uncut and you have it wrapped.
    Jock 07
    AG
    Yea I saw that but didn't see any temperature instructions and wanted to get recommendations from folks who have done it already
    Whoop04
    What BSD said is correct. I have reheated with a franklins chilled brisket with a sous vide multiple times. Comes out great. I plan for 2 hours to warm but it probably takes only a little over an hour. I also have the Anova and it's great. I had the clamp break and they replaced it free of charge.
    terradactylexpress
    I have an anova that i have been very happy with but if I had to get one now I would buy this one

https://www.chefsteps.com/joule

Main reason is that this one has a magnetic base so you don't have to clamp onto the side of the pot
    Whoop04
    I assume, then, it has to be used in metal. I have used mine in buckets, ice chests, etc just as often as I have a metal pot.
    biobioprof
    Whoop04 said:

I assume, then, it has to be used in metal. I have used mine in buckets, ice chests, etc just as often as I have a metal pot.
    There's also a clip, but I'm not sure it would work on something as thick as an ice chest. The clip is removable so ChefSteps says they plan to sell a special clip separately.

In the comments there, someone suggests just putting a metal skillet in the bottom of your cooler.
    Refresh
    Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.