Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Spinn Coffee

2,662 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MichaelJ
Keeper of The Spirits
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone considering one of these?

https://www.spinn.com

It looks like exactly what I am looking for as far as functionality, it's just a little pricey
aggiebrad94
AG
That's a bit steep for me as well. Looks delicious and time efficient, though.
cctexagMD
AG
It looks interesting.
It's funny. I started trying to research coffee makers and coffee grinders. It sounds like most combos have a problem with steam getting into the grinder and gunking it up.
"I wanna go home with the Armadillo."- Gary P. Nunn
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggielax48
AG
Looks cool but not available until mid 2017. I'm concerned there is a lot to go wrong with it. The price doesn't seem that high. 299 and there is 30 off with a referral and 50 in " coffee credits". A Keurig and a burr grinder would be over 200.
FlyFish95
Pretty cool, but kind of techy-******/uncessary though. Do we really need to live in a world where we don't learn how to do anything? Maybe next we'll get a robot to cook for us so we don't develop any cooking skills too.

I'd consider if the girl in green came with itX
n_touch
I have not seen one but I would like to try to get my hands on one to see how good it really does. Looking at it, I have multiple questions on the grinding portion of the machine. It seems to be automatic and I would question how well the coffee comes out with different roasters and not being able to change the settings according to each bean that you get.

As said before one of the other problems are the grinds themselves. I was talking with someone about the big super automatic machines (like Starbucks) and the upkeep on them is a pain. Coffee gets into the machine and you have to be diligent in cleaning them. Not to mention if the grinder breaks or the brewer breaks then you are out both machines.

Looks "pretty", with the app and use of Alexa it will sell, just not sure if it is the best use of $300 to make coffee.

Edit: Ok, I just clicked on a different page and came across the higher priced model at $599. There are better routes to go that will give you more control over what you are doing and keep the price close to that or just a little more.
Represent830
AG
DryFly said:

Pretty cool, but kind of techy-******/uncessary though. Do we really need to live in a world where we don't learn how to do anything? Maybe next we'll get a robot to cook for us so we don't develop any cooking skills too.

I'd consider if the girl in green came with itX
dustin999
AG
I could care less about auto ordering beans and silly stuff like that, but I do like the idea of using my own beans, and it appears to make pretty good crema from the video.

However, milk frother is separate? Hmm...
Duncan Idaho
Are you stuck with using their their approved roasters? Or can I use any beans?
AggieChemist
AG
dumb.
Duncan Idaho
I also can't imagine how loud a 5000 rpm centrifuge of coffee would be.
J.P. 03
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Who cares? You'll be upstairs requesting the pot of coffee on your phone from the comfort of your bed. You don't have to be in the kitchen until it's ready (or at all once they come out with an upgraded model that comes with a drone to deliver the coffee straight to your bedroom).
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
You can use your own beans, single serves, grinds the beans, and looks like to make a nice cup of coffee, and can make a full carafe as well. It has a 45 day return policy, I may have to order one.
HouseDivided06
AG
Seriously considering the middle tier one for Christmas or asking for money towards it for Christmas. I don't think I need the top of the line one because I doubt I'd ever do cappuccino or lattes, but the ability to do coffeee, espresso, americano, or French press from my phone sounds incredibly appealing. Love the versatility plus the ease of cleaning. I have the nice Cuisinart grind and brew right now that was $200 when I got it, and the daily cleaning of all the parts is a beating. Plus I like stronger coffee than the wife, so I could do my thing before I leave for work and then let her do her thing. It really looks pretty bad ass.
dustin999
AG
Just a word of caution. It sounds like they're taking all these pre-orders, getting it manufactured in China (per a Techcrunch article I read + video), and it feels like a lot of these kickstarter projects I've seen. That is, I've seen numerous kickstarters where someone takes a prototype, gets a proof of concept, takes a ton of pre-orders, uses those pre-orders to finance their manufacturing, only to find out the manufacturing isn't up to snuff or can't handle the volume they need or makes compromises to meet deadlines, and next thing you know, everyone is pissed off because they either (1) got a product that's a ****ty build quality, or (2) ended up having their shipping date delay many months past the original suggested shipping date, often with little or no recourse for refunds.

This may be the exception and not the rule on Kickstarter, and as I said, this isn't necessarily a Kickstarter project (as far as I know), but I'm leary enough of this business model (taking preorders and running a huge volume on a brand new product manufactured in China) that I'm very leary.

That said, it looks like a cool product, and if the initial feedback from fulfilled orders looks good, I might be in...
Duncan Idaho
I bet my kick ass thermometer says you are wrong. I will let you know when I get it.
MichaelJ
AG
J.P. 03 said:

Duncan Idaho said:

Who cares? You'll be upstairs requesting the pot of coffee on your phone from the comfort of your bed. You don't have to be in the kitchen until it's ready (or at all once they come out with an upgraded model that comes with a drone to deliver the coffee straight to your bedroom).

This is assuming you placed the coffee cup under the spout the night before.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.