Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sour Grapes - wine fraud documentary

7,030 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HTownAg98
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.winefraud.com/authenticate-my-wine/authenticate-my-wine/

This is Maureen Downey's business. She was prominent lady in the show who used to work for the auction houses.

She ain't cheap.
BSD
AG
What the movie didn't mention was that they raided Rudy K's offsite storage and found 5300 bottles of wine, of which only a few hundred were fake. They auctioned those off and used the proceeds to pay back victims.
BSD
AG
Redstone said:

The very fact that only one person was prosecuted for the scheme raises the possibility of anti-Chinese bigotry, which is especially unfortunate given what so many Chinese already face in Indonesia.

Second, no true connoisseur of wine would be fooled by forgery. Most unbelievable part of the film.

Dumbass.
Whoop04
BSD, beware the troll!
BSD
AG
Whoop04 said:

BSD, beware the troll!

Edited post to reflect this. Thx.
Whoop04
wessimo
AG
Thought it was kind of interesting that Koch spent a crap ton of money on wines he'll never drink (the TJ wines are vinegar by now anyway) and then had to hire investigators to figure out whether what he bought was even legit. Says a lot about the diminishing utility of extreme wealth.
BSD
AG
wessimo said:

Says a lot about the diminishing utility of extreme wealth.
I wish I had the opportunity to experience that!
TBomb06
AG
BSD said:

Inspector Spacetime said:

What domaine is that? Just curious..

Romanee Conti. I've bought an assortment for my son's birthyear and a few other one-off bottles for special occasions.
I would think anytime you open a bottle of DRC, the occasion would be made special.
wadd96
AG
Glad we had the Stagg while at your house...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
AggieChemist
bularry
FtBendTxAg said:

Back on topic, that was a very entertaining documentary.

I can't get over the level of Dewshiness of the producer guy and his handler or whoever that other younger idiot was
wasn't the younger guy some finance/hedge fund guy?
bularry
BSD said:

What the movie didn't mention was that they raided Rudy K's offsite storage and found 5300 bottles of wine, of which only a few hundred were fake. They auctioned those off and used the proceeds to pay back victims.
yes, he bought several lots at auction of real wine, and that was the impetus for his acceptance in the "collector" scene. plus, he gave some of that away (shared it) and I'm sure used some to profile the wines he was faking.

He actually must have a fairly incredible wine palate.

Does anyone know how many bottles he and his brothers/accomplices actually created?

Did Koch sue any auction houses? I know he sued that one Chicago chef that sold Rudy wines from his cellar when he closed the restaurant. Koch claimed the chef had to know they were fake but sold them as authentic anyway. Can't recall how that was resolved.

I found the documentary utterly fascinating.
TBomb06
AG
bularry said:

BSD said:

yes, he bought several lots at auction of real wine, and that was the impetus for his acceptance in the "collector" scene. plus, he gave some of that away (shared it) and I'm sure used some to profile the wines he was faking.

He actually must have a fairly incredible wine palate.

Does anyone know how many bottles he and his brothers/accomplices actually created?

Did Koch sue any auction houses? I know he sued that one Chicago chef that sold Rudy wines from his cellar when he closed the restaurant. Koch claimed the chef had to know they were fake but sold them as authentic anyway. Can't recall how that was resolved.

I found the documentary utterly fascinating.
I just watched it last night and thought it was pretty insane as well. Many people remarked about how amazing his palate is, and it certainly would have to be because his forgeries were all blended to taste very close to the real thing. I believe I remember Laurent Ponsot saying something towards the end that there were something like 15,000 bottles that Rudy had sold, and given that it likely took him an hour to forge each bottle, there was no way they could have all been counterfeit...but at the end they say there could be up to 10,000 bottles that he had sold still in collections that could be forgeries.

One of my good friends used to live in SoCal and had some friends who bought wine from Rudy - not any of the insanely rare stuff, just fairly normal bottles, all of which were authentic...so it's not like every bottle he sold was a fake. Still pretty crazy.
12thAngryMan
AG
Redstone said:

The very fact that only one person was prosecuted for the scheme raises the possibility of anti-Chinese bigotry, which is especially unfortunate given what so many Chinese already face in Indonesia.

Second, no true connoisseur of wine would be fooled by forgery. Most unbelievable part of the film.

This video seems relevant:

Much of the video is more about your average Joe rather than a "connoisseur", but it does mention that even "experienced wine judges" do not consistently agree with each other or themselves when performing blind tastings.
VanZandt92
wessimo said:

Thought it was kind of interesting that Koch spent a crap ton of money on wines he'll never drink (the TJ wines are vinegar by now anyway) and then had to hire investigators to figure out whether what he bought was even legit. Says a lot about the diminishing utility of extreme wealth.
Yep. This is insightful for sure.
djmeen95
AG
Watched it just now and thought it was indeed fascinating for a few reasons. One is the amount of wealth some folks have. Unreal.

The other thing was it made me wonder what the copyright laws are around flavor profiles for wine. I mean, could he had produced a series of wines that gave folks a reasonable facsimile of legendary wines? Kind of like a Tour 18 for bottles of wine? Hmmmm.

Anyway - great recommendation on this film y'all!

HTownAg98
jetch17 said:

We watched this tonight. Very interesting and entertaining.

Also, don't F*** with Bill Koch apparently

Don't **** with Laurent Ponsot either.
Fascinating film.
My theory is that the brothers of Rudy's mother were using Rudy to launder the money they had embezzled. There's no that many people in the world who can put someone on a $1MM/month allowance, and the ones that can do it for ****s and giggles is even smaller. If Rudy hadn't gotten greedy and lived beyond his means, he may have been able to pull off a very effective laundering scheme.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.